New Settlers era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zap-Zarap

Re: New Settlers era

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Hi Man-of-1000-faces. I'm testing the capture-the-flag game right now, there seems to be a bug. i captured it once, and everything worked well. then my contrahent captured it, but when he reached his rune, nothing at all happened. his carrier-unit is standing on the rune-hex with the flag in hand for several turns now.
thx

EDIT: now he "won" the game by moving his unit with flag 3 times onto and away from the rune-spot. flag didn't reappear in the center, as it did when i had it earlier in the game.
I like beavers.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Hi IPS, thanks for your reply, I will look forward to the moment when you get time to make some maps for New Settlers, would be great;)

Hi Zap-Zarap, I have just watched replay of that game, trying to find cause of the bug ;) Thanks very much for testing it, you were the first one to try it. So unfortunately bug was first one to meet you there :) I will let you know when it is fixed as soon as it is fixed;) Thank again for being the first one :) not the luckiest one.. unfortunately :) when in the middle of the game I thought poor howwity, but lol, the end of game was a big surprise :)
TheEnclave

Post by TheEnclave »

Sorry for having the confusing name i honestly didn't know anyone else used enclave. But i just wanted to say being a newish player to wesnoth your mod is crazy fun, my friends and i have been playing the hell out of it. Hope you keep updating and adding new stuff on god speed.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Hi enclave, TheEnclave :) Nice to see you back again!
Thank for playing my mod, I hope its fun!
Currently creating another race - Orcs..
Should be ready in 2-4 weeks. I want to release it together with couple of tiny new features.. So may take up to month time..

A funny chat I came across (3 new players discuss the game, one of them the very first time):
Spoiler:
ah, another one..
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

PS. unfortunately enclave nick is very popular.. you will soon find out since you have chosen it.
Thank you very much for your nice feedback!!!
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Hello enclave.
I was playing a 2 v Zombies game, and they somehow overran my allie. So he started to go down to my corner with his boss, i already had build a barracks in one of my vils for him to take that, but he couldn't recruit there (though the little flag on the vil changed to his color).
I think this could be an important feature for allie games (maybe it will be a part of the planned diplomacy mode in future).
Thanks for creating anyway :)
I like beavers.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Thanks Zap-Zarap :) I already seen that game in replay so I provided you with details :) To others who don't know a peasant can convert different race village into your own race (with right click when inside of it) and then able to benefit from it like from your own..
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Ahh... i see. Thanks for the kind answer.
Now i understand: in order to recruit, the village type must be of your race. Humans can recruit only in human villages and so on.
I like beavers.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Hello again.
Today i got a little bored, and so i tried something new.
For those interested in really weird games, extreme crazy entertainment and willing to go, where noone ever has gone before, i recommend:

A game of New Settlers and Creep War at the same time !!! :D

It (nearly) works, it's playable, though some things work a little different to the normal:
  • Creep gold does not count at all, only Settlers gold.

But this gold can be spent twice, in The Shop (as in Creep) and in recruiting or building (for Settlers).
    IMPORTANT NOTE: gold must be spent in The Shop first, before buying/recruiting with the Settlers, or it will be lost. ***

Settler King is Creep Heroe at the same time.
    The Shop is fully applicable to King.
    To win the game one must kill a guard (as in Creep War). Killed leaders reappear after one turn.
    Creep units respawn as usual, Settlers units don't.
    When a Settler unit kills a Creep, Creep kill number is rising (for the spawning of higher units), if a Settlers unit gets killed, this doesn't count into the Creep kill number.
    When enemy creeps capture a village, you lose ressources.
    If you recapture that village, you win a crazy high amount of ressources from ai, that noone understands, where it comes from. **
    Only King can use The Shop, recruited Settler units cannot.
I recommend one King/Heroe each team (rest empty slots), best is using player 2 (blue, east), and player 6 (brown, west), so each one will start with 3 usable workers (only one locked).
It is possible to build a village right on top of where The Shop is. Images will be overlayed, works as both (Shop and Settlers village, can be used to recruit boats also).

Things that are a bit strange and do not work/are no fun at all:
Spoiler:
*** King/Heroe can spend exactly the amount of gold, that he and his Settlers actually have in the moment, when entering The Shop.

** i suppose, as creep ai has no vils, there is some dividing with zero or undef involved.. it's strange things happening, but it's fun as well, e.g. i got 70 stones out of nowhere once. :)
Last edited by Zap-Zarap on May 17th, 2017, 10:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I like beavers.
enclave

Post by enclave »

wow thats interesting, ill update the labels and the orcs/elfs spawns for next version. will try to do it asap ;) thanks zap!
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Very nice of you.
It seems, that you understood my post very well: everything i wrote above the spoiler, doesn't need to be changed, it's just different rules for the game.

The different way of unit placing at the start of game for Humans and Elves/Orcs shows, that you have two different snippets of code for that, which in reality should be the same code for all (no offence, use the chance to clean up your code a little) ;)

It's certainly luck that the two addons work together. It's really fun to play that.

Btw: i tried New Settlers wit XP-Mod, too. This didn't work at all. But that's not important, i only tell this in case you're interested to know.
I like beavers.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Played with the add-on a bit, and I can it's a lot of fun, and in my opinion better than other add-ons which make bfw more typical-strategy-game-like (Conquest Minus add-on, for example) some issues i found:
-the faction icon (in the faction selection menu) for elves is missing for some reason
-when accessing the research menu with a troll whelp, the [message]'s image shows as 'image not found'
-typo: in the message describing elves, it says 'Elves are ancient race', while it should be ''Elves are an ancient race''
-the elvish trader uses the wooden sword icon for the stick attack. I suggest changing the icon to 'quarterstaff.png' or 'druidstaff.png'
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

EDIT: deleted some stupid bug report that wasn't one :oops:

HELLO WORLD !!
firetoo (winner) and Zap-Zarap (loser) proudly present the first oficially played NewSettlersCreepWarGame ever (see attachment).

Everybody had tons of fun, thanks to all creators of all addons :D
Attachments
875_Creep_War_Turn_29_(52828).bz2
First game in history of the two addons New Settlers and Creep War combined.
(341.81 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
enclave

Post by enclave »

ForestDragon wrote:Played with the add-on a bit, and I can it's a lot of fun, and in my opinion better than other add-ons which make bfw more typical-strategy-game-like (Conquest Minus add-on, for example) some issues i found:
-the faction icon (in the faction selection menu) for elves is missing for some reason
-when accessing the research menu with a troll whelp, the [message]'s image shows as 'image not found'
-typo: in the message describing elves, it says 'Elves are ancient race', while it should be ''Elves are an ancient race''
-the elvish trader uses the wooden sword icon for the stick attack. I suggest changing the icon to 'quarterstaff.png' or 'druidstaff.png'
Thanks very much ForestDragon, I have attempted to fix all above and updated the version on server. Possibly it is all fixed now as you suggested/spotted. English is not my first language so I have to just trust you on "an ancient race" thing :)
While it's really great that you found the image bugs it's really sad that you were the first to mention the image bugs while there are regular linux/mac players who never reported them :( they were there for a long long time..
I will look the ones in PM later, when i have more time. Thanks again!
PS. if you not sure where to report bugs or suggest ideas better, for me it's better here, so it's all in one place and can easily be found, but if you prefer private messages I'm perfectly happy with it, thanks for your great work!
Can-ned_Food

Re: New Settlers era edition numbering

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Excuse me for being cheeky, but what's the deal with your edition | version numbering? Seven parts? Is all that really necessary for the add-on server?

Anyway, it looks like fun, and i'll give it a go sometime. Cheers.
shrieker1

Post by shrieker1 »

I noticed following possible bugs in new settlers:
  • * Scenario objectives link should have &
    * If ranged unit is next to an enemy it can't use ranged attack against father away enemy (bug or feature?) Basically long ranged attack has reduced effectiveness in a close combat situation. This might be a feature but it can be a bit confusing rule at first.
    * Ranged retaliation harm_unit code is missing dollar (should be amount=$ns_temp_defender_damage)
    * Outpost and towers can be build next to each other. I suspect intent would be to have them block each other to adjacent hexes.
    * Long range ranged attack not possible if unit moves to a free spot but uses all moves. This feels like a bug because ranged attack can be done after max moves if moving next to an enemy.
    * macros/2016oct/new_walls_towers_descriptions.cfg village_min_distance should be used for UI message
    * Peasant can't fortify next to a village
    * Could NS income setup use the side gold based approach instead of extension slider?
I noticed those while making NS variant of Team Survival. It is still wip but I think it might be good enough to share here so following attached files need to be copied to add-ons/New_Settlers/{maps,scenarios} and _main.cfg needs {~add-ons/New_Settlers/scenarios/NS_TeamSurvival.cfg}

One idea that could improve scenario integration to era code would be event based era setting override option. Idea would be that era fires NS_preload_options_setup event that would allow scenario to change NS_preload_options* variables to match scenario requirements. Then era code would process preload options only after scenario has safely modified options. That should be made allow both lua options and wml options be overridden same way in the event. But I don't yet know how to archive that with a simple change to the era code.

EDIT:

I decided to provide TS in a diff format because I ended up rewriting the new walls code to allow scenario modify them a bit. TS feels like it has now descent balance between races. Of course still a bit more balancing can be done. The default settings are just about playable for experienced NS players. New players require extra starting resources to cope with instant pressure from AI. I added a note to description which tells to add 50 gold for noobs. It also proposes reducing 25 gold if wanting to near impossible challenge like mainline TS is.

If you don't know how to apply diff files to your source code you could try https://tortoisegit.org/. It could help you keep track of changes and keep development work in a separate branch before they are ready for publishing. If you can't apply the diff easily we can talk online how I send you the changes.

Some more possible issues that I noticed but didn't investigate yet.
  • * Non-host elf seemed to first recruit only male civilians. After I took control for a turn it switched to recruiting male and female
    * Extended ranged attack won't retaliate if there is adjacent enemies. I think it must always retaliate if range is enough or extended ranged attack can be exploited to kill ranged units for free.
    * I noticed that ranged strikes for extended attack is at most same as moves left. I think that favors defensive play with ranged attacks too much. It would be much more Wesnoth like (and balanced) if extended ranged attacks would always have maximum strikes and function if there is attacks left.
    * Orc research works but its UI is broken. The resource indicator and label between turns don't show selected research.
EDIT2:

I added a zip with all changed files if that is easier to handle than source diff. But becarefull not to overwrite your local changes. This is based on 2.2.0.5.7.8.

EDIT3:

name had idea that defensive buildings should have alternative attack types to make it a bit more balanced with units are good in towers. "Onager for impact, boiling oil for fire etc"