The Elf, the Dwarf and the Mage

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

The Elf, the Dwarf and the Mage

Postby iMakepeace » February 9th, 2016, 8:49 pm

My other three campaigns are Stranger in Wesnoth; Add's Army; and Sleuth Sisters.

1. For those who have played all four campaigns, which did you like most, and why? Which did you like least, and why?
2. For any or all of the campaigns, how were the difficulty levels? Did they fit with your expectations?
3. Related to this, how did the campaigns work on Hard difficulty? I freely admit that I'm better at coding than playing, so I don't test on Hard.
4. Are there any characters who you would particularly like to see again in future campaigns? Any you wouldn't?
5. Is there anything in particular that I do too much of/don't do enough of?

I'm not going to request any comments on the art, because it is improving, I assure you. "Stranger in Wesnoth" was my first serious attempt at drawing (at the age of fifty-mumble), and I've got a great deal better since, to the point where next time I update SIW it will include redraws of the worst of the art. (Vlachen. And the scene with the mermaid. I was pleased with them at the time, but they make me cringe now.)

Many thanks!
Stranger in Wesnoth - The Elf, the Dwarf and the Mage - Add's Army - Sleuth Sisters - Return of Sir Charles - Comrades in Arms - Thrugbad the Good
iMakepeace

Re: The Elf, the Dwarf and the Mage

Postby ahmannar » February 14th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Have you uploaded any of your 4 campaigns on the 1.12 server? I can´t find them there.
ahmannar

Postby iMakepeace » February 14th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Unfortunately I can't at the moment. 1.12 is not yet available for Ubuntu, which is my OS. However, as soon as the upgrade is available, I will re-upload the campaigns.

In the meantime, if you're interested in playing any of them, let me know by private message; I can e-mail them to you if you wish.
Stranger in Wesnoth - The Elf, the Dwarf and the Mage - Add's Army - Sleuth Sisters - Return of Sir Charles - Comrades in Arms - Thrugbad the Good
iMakepeace

Postby Aldarisvet » June 30th, 2016, 11:52 am

Hi.
I saw you uploaded already 7 (seven!!!) campaigns in the add-ons server for the short period of several months.
I havnt tried any of these but I am really surprised with the speed you presenting more and more campaigns.
Actually I personally cant believe it is possible to create something quality with such speed. May be you better concentrate on something. And, well, some of storyline arts could be improved.
I wish you luck with feedback.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see Zombies:Introduction single map campaign
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Aldarisvet
Translator

Postby doofus-01 » July 2nd, 2016, 1:55 am

Aldarisvet wrote:Actually I personally cant believe it is possible to create something quality with such speed. May be you better concentrate on something. And, well, some of storyline arts could be improved.
I saw this comment, and when combined with this OP comment
iMakepeace wrote:I'm not going to request any comments on the art, because it is improving, I assure you. "Stranger in Wesnoth" was my first serious attempt at drawing (at the age of fifty-mumble), and I've got a great deal better since, to the point where next time I update SIW it will include redraws of the worst of the art. (Vlachen. And the scene with the mermaid. I was pleased with them at the time, but they make me cringe now.)
I got curious and downloaded some of the campaigns and looked in the folders.

Who says the campaigns were produced quickly? They could have been in the works for years, then released in quick sequence. The art is amateur, but that is true for most art here, and it should be expected. I have no idea how representative my view is, but I'd rather see something with thought and effort rather than a quick recolor or cut&paste of the same images that always show up. The story art images are fine, improve them as you can and wish. Those images could be JPG, rather than PNG, and that will reduce your download size _significantly_.

Sorry I can't comment on the actual campaigns.
Bad Moon Rising(BfW 1.12 supported, but new work in BfW 1.13 only) | Trinity(BfW 1.12 only) | Archaic Era(BfW 1.12 & 1.13) | Tales of the Setting Sun(On Hold/Abandoned)
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Contributor

Postby iMakepeace » May 14th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Doofus, thank you for the encouragement! My art (along with everything else) hit a block for some time, for reasons I'm about to explain, but I am now back in the saddle again and hope to pick up soon on the campaigns I started about this time last year.

Aldarisvet, thank you for the good advice. I have indeed been concentrating on something, to wit, recovering. Just under a year ago I almost died; I shall spare you the full medical details, having gone into them at length elsewhere, but suffice it to say that by all the laws of probability I should be six feet under. By the grace of God and the skills of an outstanding surgeon, I'm here today, but the road to recovery has been long and quite difficult. I had previously been aware that I was ill, but neither I nor my doctor had realised quite how ill.

The good news is that a) I'm alive; b) I do not, as I feared, have Parkinson's disease; and c) neither the illness nor the treatment has done any permanent damage to my cognitive functions. Expect more campaigns from me in future, complete with amateur - but, at least, original - art. ;)
iMakepeace

Postby doofus-01 » May 20th, 2017, 11:46 am

Yikes! It must be good to have that behind you. Welcome back.

(I didn't mean to sound so arrogant in my previous post; "amateur" isn't really a bad thing, and I am certainly a member of that club too.)
Bad Moon Rising(BfW 1.12 supported, but new work in BfW 1.13 only) | Trinity(BfW 1.12 only) | Archaic Era(BfW 1.12 & 1.13) | Tales of the Setting Sun(On Hold/Abandoned)
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Contributor

Postby iMakepeace » May 23rd, 2017, 9:57 am

Many thanks! :) I didn't think you sounded at all arrogant; that remark was aimed elsewhere.

I'm getting better all the time, but won't be back doing campaign work till I have my own place. I've been living at my sister's since I came out of hospital the first time (have been in twice since with post-op problems), but obviously that can't continue for ever, and we're trying to get me into some kind of accommodation where I can have an eye kept on me for medical reasons. Watch this space!
iMakepeace

Postby Graaaaaa » June 17th, 2017, 9:15 am

Thanks for creating this campaign, here's my feedback.
I'm not completely adverse to some secrecy or mistery about the scenario objectives, but in this case it's a bit excessive and makes the gameplay frustrating, without reason. Having to restart the scenario after 15 (or worse, 60) well played turns makes me want to quit the game, uninstall and never play a campaign again. I strongly advice you to include more detailed hints and scenario objectives.
Free as a bird
Graaaaaa

Return to Add-on Feedback