[mainline] Voice acting ?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Heindal

Re: [mainline] Voice acting ?

Post by Heindal »

Cool :). Hope you like it.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Reading through your older posts, I'm not sure whether you declared the all-dialogues-project dead, or are still looking for voices for characters.
If you still plan to do the whole thing one day, I'm happy to volunteer for the voice of a character :) Though I must warn you - my pronunciation is worse than that of a grunt orc from Mordor's deepest pit. :lol:
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

WhiteWolf wrote:Reading through your older posts, I'm not sure whether you declared the all-dialogues-project dead, or are still looking for voices for characters.
If you still plan to do the whole thing one day, I'm happy to volunteer for the voice of a character :) Though I must warn you - my pronunciation is worse than that of a grunt orc from Mordor's deepest pit. :lol:
The answer is: the all-dialogues-project is half-dead, for lack of speakers. :D I personally would like to complete this project, and will do the coding if voices are created but i believe Heindal does not want to work on voices for it (which is fine i appreciate his contributions!), however it is very good of you to offer to help do voices, i believe if we can get two to four other people to contribute also that this can be completed.
read this
That means you... yes you! Post right now and volenteer your help... or your guilt will overwhelm you!
([acronym="Since humour doesn't translate well"]ShdTw[/acronym] that was a joke)
Also for anyone who wants to translate the current story voices into another language that would be great!
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I guess that means we're waiting :D
I'll play around with recording when I find the time :)
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yeah, and thanks for volunteering.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

The dream is dead I assume ;).
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I wouldn't say dead, but it has gone to sleep... in a hole in the ground... and somebody is piling dirt into the hole ;)

Technically it would be possible to create voice-acting for the messages (i have found some code that should work) but i don't think it is a very big priority for anyone.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

1.13.8 will have a "voice" key (in [story][part] and [message]) which differs from the "sound" key in that it stops playing as soon as you dismiss the dialog or move to the next page. It's still a work in progress though; I want to change the way it behaves if given a comma-separated list. Currently it'll choose a random one, I believe (I've only tested with a single sound though), but after reading through this thread I think it would be more useful to play them in order?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great that is really good to hear, thank you Celtic_Minstrel!
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

That sounds great :)
I see reasons for both versions on the comma-separated list's working.
Some campaigns tend to overflow with a dialogue with replies of "Yes", "No", etc. Then it would be cool the just record a couple of versions of these short messages, and have them played at random.

On the other hand, it might be difficult to record a half-page long story description in one take perfectly. One would have to record it multiple times, then cut it to make the best record possible.
If the list is played in order, this could become much easier. If there is a mistake in the recording, just stop and continue from the start of the sentence.

So my vote would go to play-in-order. We already have sound= for playing one randomly from a list. :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes i agree with whitewolf. Though as he said random messages would be nice i doubt anyone would have time to record more than one of any messages ;) .

Speaking of which i recently noticed that the add-on The Tale of Two Brothers [+voice] has now received an impressive 1600 downloads!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

If it's changed to play in order, and you did want random messages, you could always store it in a variable and use voice=$var.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you, and yes that is a good idea. :D
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

The only difference is that if we draw a random voice from a $var, it will cancel any [allow_undo]'s in an event, whereas a random sound from a list does not. See this topic :)
But then again, I guess the events where voices are played are not supposed to be undone, so this probably won't be an issue :)
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

You can make actions with random thign undoable if you convinve then engine that the gamestate does not depend on the result of the random var, in 1.13 there is the [unsynced] actionwml tag for that.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.