Sprite Assistance

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mirion147

Sprite Assistance

Post by Mirion147 »

Hey guys. I've been trying to learn how to make sprites, and although I've done much worse than this, I'm not really sure how to go about fixing this guy. I was just wondering you you guys could help me out at all. :)
Attachments
Attempt1.png
Attempt1.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
Last edited by Mirion147 on May 2nd, 2017, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embuck

Re: Not really sure where to go from here

Post by Embuck »

I'm pretty new at sprites myself, but I'd say start by changing the viewing angle. You want to look slightly down at the unit; rather than level with him.
Embuck.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Mirion147 wrote:I was just wondering you you guys could help me out at all. :)
I can hardly draw stick-figures, but here are some things I noticed (sides from our point of view):

- the eyes are not eye-shaped, they look more like black circles
- I can't see a nose and I can't make out the mouth
- his right shoulder and upper arm are not visible at all while I think they should only be partly blocked
- his right lower arm seems bigger than the left?
- what I assume are the pommel and cross-guard look too big
- his right knee is too high
- his right boot seems to have much less substance than the left
- the brown, especially of his pants, seems too 'even'

hth :)
I have a cunning plan.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Okay, now that I have another minute to look here...I did forget about the angle regarding sprites so that's good to be reminded of

As for the other response:
nuorc wrote: - the eyes are not eye-shaped, they look more like black circles
- I can't see a nose and I can't make out the mouth
- his right shoulder and upper arm are not visible at all while I think they should only be partly blocked
- his right lower arm seems bigger than the left?
- what I assume are the pommel and cross-guard look too big
- his right knee is too high
- his right boot seems to have much less substance than the left
- the brown, especially of his pants, seems too 'even'
1,2 - Are eyes ever really shaped when it's a humanoid, and nose/mouth even seen? Honest question here, I was under the impression that most of the time there was not enough detail to indicate any form of facial features other than eyes and even the detail of eyes are limited.
3,4 - if you picture how his arm would be positioned in order to have his hand on his sword like that it (imho) would place his shoulder and elbow and much of his arm behind his body which is why it appears that his shoulder is missing and that his arm is smaller when it is actually behind his body.
5 - Valid, and I'll fix that.
6 - Also valid. I've been having a lot of trouble getting his feet right, probably due to the first issue mentioned of not having the correct overall angle.
7 - ditto, WOP
taptap

Re: Sprite Assistance

Post by taptap »

(I made some sprites of varying quality seen here on the forum. Trying to be helpful.)

I added you a comparison to a L3 unit and a scale. Some units look like seen at a slight angle from above (and in my opinion others don't look like that at all), but all share somewhat odd, not exactly realistic proportions (partly foreshortening, partly for visibility). Heads are larger than you expect from body size and units look on average more stocky. Your unit is taller than the L3 in body size (a few less pixels all in all, but this is due to the halberd and helm decoration), yet leaner.

The units left shoulder (right side in sprite): Your explanation makes sense, it is just a rare pose (outside animations) that a unit faces SE but then turns slightly away from the viewer (yet turns the head back towards them). Most units face SE but turn towards the viewer so their upper body is seen straight on, some units have their upper body oriented towards SE (and look pretty good), e.g. the Jundi. In both cases you see more of their left arm (right side). Keep in mind that units are regularly flipped in game.

Eyes: Aren't they all squares? I would look at sprites that look good and take inspiration from them. Light/white pixel next to dark pixel is one common way. Some older sprites have no eyes at all. With a pronounced side view, you may only show one eye. (Khalifate units often do this.) I made a tiny edit to your sprite to increase contrast around the right (left side from viewer) eye, this is what I would have done. But then, I am really bad at faces.
Spoiler:
Last edited by taptap on May 2nd, 2017, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Mirion147 wrote:Are eyes ever really shaped when it's a humanoid, and nose/mouth even seen? Honest question here, I was under the impression that most of the time there was not enough detail to indicate any form of facial features other than eyes and even the detail of eyes are limited.
Mouth usually isn't depicted, exept for beards, where it is indicated by a dark line between mustache and rest of the beard. A very dominant nose can have an outline (see dwarvish arcanister), but other units only have some brighter pixels where the nose should be.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Turns out I don't know too much about the facial features of our sprites... ;)

taptap wrote:Eyes: Aren't they all squares? I would look at sprites that look good and take inspiration from them. Light/white pixel next to dark pixel is one common way.
I don't think they're actually squares, maybe my 'problem' here is that the eyes are clearly visible and have 'no structure'. I think this white pixel works (if you don't enlarge the pic too much).

Vyncyn wrote:Mouth usually isn't depicted, exept for beards, where it is indicated by a dark line between mustache and rest of the beard. A very dominant nose can have an outline (see dwarvish arcanister), but other units only have some brighter pixels where the nose should be.
Or the mouth could be a light line in the beard. Interesting how the noses work!

@Mirion147: maybe a unit like the Mighwar would be interesting for you to look at.
I have a cunning plan.