Embuck's sprite attempts

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vulpine

Re: Embuck's sprite attempts

Post by Vulpine »

I took a closer look at the arm and realized the outlines were perfectly fine, but it looked like it was thicker than the others because the left arm's outline is a shade lighter than the right's. Sorry for the confusion :oops: But you're changing it anyway, so I'll wait before confusing myself and others further :whistle:

The ex-cloak is hanging directly behind her, below her waist. If you made a line from one knee to the other, it would go straight through the cloak.
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

Big changes this time!
gawien-thief.png
gawien-thief.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 5698 times
gawien-thief-hooded.png
gawien-thief-hooded.png (6.87 KiB) Viewed 5698 times
I'm still not terribly happy about un-hooded's right arm. It looks stiff... or something.
I changed hooded's cloak. I'm considering changing hood and cloak to dark green. Not forest green, a slightly desaturated olive-y green.
The entire torso and legs have been redone.
Your take?
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

You could fill the line between arm and torso (unhooded version) with a dark shade to make the arm look less stiff.
If she wants to hide the fact that she is female in the hooded version you could make the cloak bigger so it covers shoulders and chest, if it should just cover her identity it is fine as it is now.

Most sprites in wesnoth have a purple shadow instead of an black one.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

Unless anyone points out anything glaring, I'm inclined to call these two done. I'll put them away and massacre their animations later. :)
So, here are the latest!
gawien-thief.png
gawien-thief.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
gawien-thief-hooded.png
gawien-thief-hooded.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
I did use frankensteining for her shadow; it's taken from the mainline thief.
She's mainly hiding her face, so I think the current cloak and hood is fine.
And just for fun, a lineup of her progress. Missing the first edition, though.
gawien-thief-collage.png
gawien-thief-collage.png (9.08 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
gawien-thief-hooded-collage.png
gawien-thief-hooded-collage.png (8.69 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
She's a tad bit short, but that's okay.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

So, now I have a bit of a dilemma.
Spoiler:
I'll only be making one set of advancement sprites/animations, so I'm a bit stymied at present.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Embuck wrote:Unless anyone points out anything glaring, I'm inclined to call these two done.
I just checked and it seems the TC isn't working correctly; You should check the magenta on her belt, arm and leg as some hues aren't changed ingame like they should (headband is correct btw).
The number of colours used is generally too high, but it doesn't influence looks, so you can leave it at that if you want.

You used a transparent black between arm and torso; It doesn't look bad the way you did it, but what I meant was a (non transparent) black or a dark green.

Regarding the story
Spoiler:
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Vyncyn wrote: You used a transparent black between arm and torso; It doesn't look bad the way you did it, but what I meant was a (non transparent) black or a dark green.
Or you can have her hair hang behind her back so it's visible :P
(Spoiler) And if you really like putting yourself through unnecessary work:
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

Or you can have her hair hang behind her back so it's visible :P
I actually tried that! See #1&2. But I figured she'd want her hair shorter, more manageable, out of the way, etc. And it had to fit under the hood.
The number of colours used is generally too high, but it doesn't influence looks, so you can leave it at that if you want.
I read your excellent comments on that on your thread. I'm going to try that sometime, perhaps on advancements. It looks like a great simplifier... And thanks for that catch on the TC! I'm working on that now.
Spoiler:
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

These should have the correct TC now. Could someone check them for me? I don't know how to run the TC Shifter on this device. :oops:
gawien-thief.png
gawien-thief.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
gawien-thief-hooded.png
gawien-thief-hooded.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Spoiler:
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

I just dropped them in my campaign folder and changed the image path for one of the protagonists, and they work fine :) Here they are in-game.
Screenshot. WARNING: If you are allergic to dairy, do not read. Cheesy dialogue abounds.
kaitlin-gawien_hero_swap.png
Suggestions for advancements: mega muscles, menacing hunched posture, and giant tree-trunk club :P Seriously though, I don't have much to offer. If it were me I'd try to take inspiration from mainline, but I hope you have more creativity than that :P
[shameless_advertising]
[/shameless_advertising]
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

well my idea: how about make her have only one level, but have many AMLAs like Kaleh in UtBS does?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Embuck wrote:I read your excellent comments on that on your thread. I'm going to try that sometime, perhaps on advancements. It looks like a great simplifier.
I don't mean you should reduce colours that exremely like I did on my threat, it's just that yours seems to use 30+ shades for clothing alone with a lot of stray colours that only appear once or twice. It really doesn't matter for the looks, but pixelart usually uses fewer and it would make recolouring easier if the image had fewer shades (and it reduces file size by a few bytes :P ). Like I said before it doesn't influence looks, so you wouldn't have to rework this sprite, but yeah, try to look out for it on the advancements.

As for the advancements, you could give her an additional dagger or a bigger weapon. Maybe different coloured boots, different pose, or just more ornaments.
ForestDragon wrote:well my idea: how about make her have only one level, but have many AMLAs like Kaleh in UtBS does?
AMLA sounds like a good idea too. As far as I know, there are plans to make (slightly) different sprites for Kaleh as he advances.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

So. I'll make at least one more level. I might use that sprite for AMLAs after that, like FaeLord did in Alariel's Journey. Actually, she still advanced, not AMLA... I think. (I haven't played UtBS; too hard)
I'm definitely going to give her another knife. I'm also thinking of a wide belt with miscellaneous pouches; knives if they show, which I doubt... etc. Also, if I can manage slightly shiny leather forearm guards, I'll add those.
She'll get a ranged attack too; knives. Being an elf, I think she could get marksman on that, around level 3. Do you think marksman and poison would be too much? (Actually, I'm not sure an elf would use poison at all.)
And thanks, Vulpine, for checking that for me. I love cheese. :D
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Orcish assassin has marksman+poison. It depend how her other stats are, but since she is a hero and no basic unit it wouldn't hurt if she is stronger than average.
With AMLA you could also let her start out with only 1 weapon special and add the second one after that.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

Level 2 is here!
She's got a second dagger, shorter sleeves, and forearm guards.
gawien-thief-hooded-1.png
gawien-thief-hooded-1.png (2.51 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
Critique?
Vyncyn wrote:With AMLA you could also let her start out with only 1 weapon special and add the second one after that.
Good idea! Thanks.