Sketch stage:
Spoiler:
Gallery of finished request so far
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
WIPs
Spoiler:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I accept all portrait request in this thread. Please read the rules before you request:
1. One portrait request a reply, at a time
Spoiler:
2. Don't throw your campaign or writing thread at me
Spoiler:
3. No guarantee.
Spoiler:
4. No urging.
Spoiler:
5. C&C always welcomed, but only those would help me and the community grow.

...tl;dr, be respectful, be patient, and constructive C&C always welcomed!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not so rule:
I prefer characters who bear human-like appearances. You could request non-human-like characters... but don't expect I come up with something satisfying. You've been warned.
Angles, emotions, details, you name it, need to be noticed should be mentioned as detailed as possible, and list them clearly. Still, I might change anything if too complicated, or I don't feel fit.

The format:
Please fill the following so I could have a good idea how to do your character a proper portrait. Simply copy and fill:
1. Appearance age:
2. Biological gender:
3. Race trait:
4. Wearings, accessories, and equipment:
5. Personal traits:
6. Possible reference:
7. Misc: (something like emotion, angle, expression, you name it, goes here)
I will PM you when it's your turn!

About me:
Hi everyone. I am DarkBearLab, an officer by day and an artist(I hope) by night.
I started playing this game from a month ago and play every now and then now, and I feel I could do some art for people who need portraits for important characters in their campaigns.
My style is anime-ish, so make sure you accept my style first before anything
you could see my works from below
http://darkbearlab.deviantart.com/galle ... of-the-Lab
https://hallodx.tumblr.com/

Hope we could have good times here, just like I have good times in the game!
Last edited by darkbearlab on May 20th, 2017, 8:49 am, edited 18 times in total.
I do things, including arts. Mostly fan arts.
http://darkbearlab.deviantart.com/
ForestDragon

Re: DarkBearLab's thread [Request open, please read the rule

Post by ForestDragon »

small note: I think it would be nice if you posted a shrunken version of the 'thread girl' sketch, instead of the 'full size' one, since it's somewhat annoying to have to scroll to see the whole portrait. The sketch itself looks pretty good, in my opinion, btw, even in it's state of being just a sketch.

btw, it's great to see new artists in the bfw community. Active artists are very rare here.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
howwitty

Post by howwitty »

Please draw a new portrait for the Great Mage unit.

https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline ... 0Mage.html
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline ... 0Mage.html

Other units which have more use in game might include the Arif, the Jundi, the Rami, or the Naffat.

https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline/en_US/Arif.html
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline ... Jundi.html
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline/en_US/Rami.html
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline ... affat.html

If I'm not mistaken, none of these units have portraits in the help file. I seem to recall a portrait of the Naffat, but it's not shown on the online database, so I can't be too sure.
I'm tired.
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

ForestDragon wrote:small note: I think it would be nice if you posted a shrunken version of the 'thread girl' sketch, instead of the 'full size' one, since it's somewhat annoying to have to scroll to see the whole portrait. The sketch itself looks pretty good, in my opinion, btw, even in it's state of being just a sketch.

btw, it's great to see new artists in the bfw community. Active artists are very rare here.
Yeah I halfed the size, hope it's better now!
And I'm glad I could help!
howwitty wrote:Please draw a new portrait for the Great Mage unit.
I will be working on this first
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

darkbearlab wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:small note: I think it would be nice if you posted a shrunken version of the 'thread girl' sketch, instead of the 'full size' one, since it's somewhat annoying to have to scroll to see the whole portrait. The sketch itself looks pretty good, in my opinion, btw, even in it's state of being just a sketch.

Yeah I halfed the size, hope it's better now!
And I'm glad I could help!
Thanks! now the portrait fits into my screen properly.
darkbearlab wrote:
Well, your portraits might not really feel like fitting in, if they are too anime-ish, drastically decreasing the chances of them being added into mainline. You could make some line sketches for now, but i recommend trying to keep the style as similar as possible to the default style, in order for it to fit in better.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

If your intention is to include it with the core units official distribution, it needs to match the official portrait style. But DBL has already stated the intention to use a different style. So, be aware of that when making your request.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

You post reminds me that there's a whole season of RWBY I have to catch up on...

I maintain a number of campaigns that have no portraiture which could really do with some. I don't know how well they'd suit your style, but I figure I'll let you be the judge of that, from my perspective beggars can't be choosers and if you'd deign to spend some time on my guys, I'd love to use them.

My priority for portrait art at the moment are the hero units from the Campaign 'Tale of Vaniyera'. I know that none of them are female (which seems to be your MO), but hey, two of them are elves, and that's fairly close, right? If you'd be willing to draw any one of them, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm aware you're rules say 'only post one', but I figure providing you a little more information about their context, even if you end up only drawing one, is probably a useful thing.

ImageFaolan:
Faolan is a Thunderblade, one of the greatest warriors of the Sidhe. He is ageless but old, warlike but wise. His sword crackles with the power of the storm.

ImageVaniyera:
Vaniyera is the protagonist. He lurks in the shadows and only comes out when he has trapped his enemy. He burns with hatred. In the future, he too will become a Thunderblade, though of a darker, more powerful form than Faolan.

ImageOptimus:
Optimus is the Lavinian (Roman) Emperor. He's essentially Julius Caesar at the height of his powers. Proud, strong, steely eyes, indomitable spirit. He's also the villain attacking the elves in his lust for land.

Cheers in advance, and thanks for the offer. I expect that you'll be swamped!
Last edited by UnwiseOwl on April 28th, 2017, 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

darkbearlab wrote:
Great Mage is a core unit which is just fine sharing the portrait with Arch Mage. It doesn't need a new one, and one that's in a style notably different from the other portraits wouldn't be added anyway.
howwitty

Post by howwitty »

What happened to the Naffat portrait? Was it tossed, or did I just imagine it?
I'm tired.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Most likely it was your imagination.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Glad to see new artists joining, I'm sure you'll get a lot of requests! If you ever feel inspired of drawing a portrait of the Jundi (or advancements), I may use it for the main character of my campaign 'Return from the Abyss' (and it could possibly be useful for the other UMC khalifate campaigns).
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

ForestDragon wrote:...
Well, your portraits might not really feel like fitting in, if they are too anime-ish, drastically decreasing the chances of them being added into mainline. You could make some line sketches for now, but i recommend trying to keep the style as similar as possible to the default style, in order for it to fit in better.
Sapient wrote:
If your intention is to include it with the core units official distribution, it needs to match the official portrait style. But DBL has already stated the intention to use a different style. So, be aware of that when making your request.
Thanks for answering for me Dev Sapient.
I am not intended to make arts for mainline, that's why I launched the thread at Workshop, if I understand the forum rules right.
But if anyone feel like it, I could do reworks so people could replace the files, if that is the request.

...hey does that mean even I made Great Mage there's no way to be shown in the game since they are all bind to the same portraits and some are not bind at all?

UnwiseOwl wrote:You post reminds me that there's a whole season of RWBY I have to catch up on...
I skipped some of the episodes and realized I missed nothing! This season is not really good imo.
UnwiseOwl wrote: I maintain a number of campaigns that have no portraiture which could really do with some. I don't know how well they'd suit your style, but I figure I'll let you be the judge of that, from my perspective beggars can't be choosers and if you'd deign to spend some time on my guys, I'd love to use them.
I expect that you'll be swamped!
And I expect detailed descriptions like race trait, gender, appearance age, hair style, dressing, accessories... you name the rest, if you would.
And please request one at a time. Thanks!
skeptical_troll wrote:Glad to see new artists joining, I'm sure you'll get a lot of requests! If you ever feel inspired of drawing a portrait of the Jundi (or advancements), I may use it for the main character of my campaign 'Return from the Abyss' (and it could possibly be useful for the other UMC khalifate campaigns).
Tell me more about it so I could have a better imagination of the character :3
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

And I expect detailed descriptions like race trait, gender, appearance age, hair style, dressing, accessories... you name the rest, if you would.
And please request one at a time. Thanks!
I shall try to oblige.

Name: Lord Faolan
Race: Sidhe. They are reclusive forest elves, like the mainline but a little more dark in tone, greys and blacks instead of greens and browns
Traits: Tall, powerful elvish warrior. He has been a commander for a long time and believes in his abilities.
Appearance: Elvish Lord, tall, fit, slightly touched by electricity
Age: Middle-aged, but elves do not get old, so at the peak of physical fitness and physique
Hair: White, Worn long to at least the length of the shoulders.
Clothing: Does not wear metal armour. Wears white battle robes with a grey cloak edged in gold thrown over it. May wear a diadem of some kind, headwear that shows rank without being pretentious or impractical, as he is first and foremost a warrior.
Equipment: A marvellous ancient blade that arcs with electrical power.
Favourite Quote: "Heed my words, Lavinian! It grieves me, but my apprentice and I shall bring this folly to an end here and now. Your people will know the grief of losing their beloved Imperator. Then perhaps Lavinia will understand the Sidhe a little better."

If you'd like any more information, please let me know.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

darkbearlab wrote:...hey does that mean even I made Great Mage there's no way to be shown in the game since they are all bind to the same portraits and some are not bind at all?
No, it's possible (and pather) to edit unit files, especially add-on ones (editing mainline files can depend on the OS of the user.). The hardest part (in my opinion) is making the art itself.
Last edited by ForestDragon on April 29th, 2017, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Thanks DBL there is so much user made content out there which needs good portraits.
I like your style and hope you enjoy learning and improving through the many requests people give you.
Welcome.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.