Massive Online Multiplayer Senarios

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play this sort of senario?

I guess, if somebody else made it
45%
I would be interested in contributing to such senarios
10%
Depends what mood I was in
14%
I wish you luck but I couldn't care less
17%
I think this goes against the spirit of Wesnoth
14%

Total votes: 29

The_Gnat

Re: Massive Online Multiplayer Senarios

Post by The_Gnat »

Great! That would definitely work as a prestory. I will work on some dialogue for defeat and Victory and see if there are any good pictures that could be used for the story.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Yeah, I like the sound of that! In 1.13 there are a bunch of general-purpose story images added to mainline, and one has a handful of drake/dragon shaped creatures circling a mountain.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Where should we be working these? The GitHub site?

I'm working on my era somewhat now, so I'll be available to do some of this for a while.

Code: Select all

[story]
	[part]
		background =	story/landscape-hills-01.jpg
		scale_background =	yes
		story =	_ "  It is a cold morning when my army rises for the march.  Our exhaled breaths like shamefully inept mockery of the fumes emitted by the dragon — the dragon who shall certainly destroy us all. "
		[/part]
	[part]
		background =	story/landscape-hills-02.jpg
		scale_background =	yes
		story =	_ "  I share my doubts and my dread with none; not even my adjutants, whose duty it is to know every plan that I conceive for our weary and beragged army:  If we perish, it matters not; if our need comes to it, and I must unleash the Spectre, then what would be the benefit gained from their knowing? "
		[/part]
	[part]
		background =	story/landscape-mountains-05.jpg
		scale_background =	yes
		story =	_ "  The unmistakable tremor suddenly courses through both air and earth with equal power.
  Across the distance of valley and mountain,
     at the destination of our march,
        in its lair, the dragon has woken. "
		[/part]
	[/story]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes samonella set up a git-hub project, but i'm not a contributer to it so you will have to PM him.

(and also great job, i like the story ;) )
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

The_Gnat wrote:Yes samonella set up a git-hub project, but i'm not a contributer to it so you will have to PM him.
Right, though this code I can paste in easily enough, no need for a PM. Or if you have/are going to make a github account, i'd happily add you as a contributor (and/or explain what I know about about using git, which is only the bare basics). Other than that, I won't be much use for the next couple weeks because I'm cramming for end-of-semester finals and projects, but after that I plan to put more time into wesnoth, including more time into this project. :)
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I do not have a github account but if you would like I can create some dialogue events and post them here, for deaths and Victory.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I have gone ahead and begun writing some speech events. And this has led me to notice that you have made this for wesnoth 1.13. Is that correct? If it is it can be easily made for 1.12 as well.

Add this definition somewhere in the scenario file

#define LABEL_TEXT
#ifver WESNOTH_VERSION >= 1.13.0
label#else
message#endif
#enddef
and replace all "label=_" occurances with "{LABEL_TEXT}=_"

That is the only thing i have noticed not working in 1.12.

EDIT: also two of the story pictures do not load in 1.12. I would suggest adding the story pictures in a images/story folder so that it works in 1.12 also. (and it only increases the add-ons size slightly)

EDIT: also the unit placed event (around line 140) that modifies the dragons forces to be loyal currently modifies side 4 units. It should modify side 6 units.
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

:whistle:
Signing up for a new GitHub account wrote:GitHub offers free accounts for users and organizations working on public and open source projects
;)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Can-ned_Food wrote::whistle:
Signing up for a new GitHub account wrote:GitHub offers free accounts for users and organizations working on public and open source projects
;)
It is funny that you say that, i just was thinking the same thing. :D I have just created an account and sent Samonella a PM. ;)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay so i have made some changes:

1. I have made it so the dragon is passive (doesn't go anywhere) until a player moves into the dragons cavern
2. I have decided the mainline fire dragon is too uninteresting and so instead put Rich_Marinaccios_Dragons pack as a dependency and am using his dragon. (this is just a change i think is better but it is not at all a final decision) This is the new dragon:

3. I have made the scenario also work in 1.12 by added a version conditional statement that changes the [option] tags label= to message= in older version
4. I have added a portrait and the story images (the story images have to be added in order to be seen in 1.12, because they are not part of the mainline 1.12 version)
5. I have added messages for the players, ai and dragons death. (they are loaded from the utils folder)
6. I have added a dragon death event which kills all the other leaders (except the victorious leader) and then ends the scenario. This way as soon as you kill the dragon the game ends
7. I have changed a bug in the place_unit event for the dragon that makes its units loyal (it used to be for side 4, now its for side 6)

The question i am wondering now is when to add skeletons, and how exactly to add them.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I was thinking more and i had a few other ideas:

- After some turn (maybe turn 10) skeletons begin appearing out of evil stones in the top middle of the map

- If you kill the dragon then it turns into a skeletal dragon and you have to kill it

- If you kill the outlaw or wose leader any other outlaw or wose unit is randomly selected and assigned as leader

Also i like the ally setup which has been created so far, however i believe it would be better if the teams had the choice of declaring war on Both other teams.

Furthermore i was not able to get difficulty settings (EASY,MEDIUM,HARD) working with a MP scenario, so we might have to change the Dragons Lair to be a MP campaign. @ Samonella - is this acceptable?
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Glad to see things are going somewhere, excited for when I have time to get properly involved again! Meanwhile, here are a few things I have an opinion on:
The_Gnat wrote:I have decided the mainline fire dragon is too uninteresting and so instead put Rich_Marinaccios_Dragons pack as a dependency and am using his dragon.
The drawback is that involving non-mainline sprites means that people have to have downloaded the add-on before joining the multiplayer game, which will make it harder to fill games and harder for this to catch on. But it is a pretty epic dragon, and I'm not really expecting this scenario to become a craze anyway so sure, why not include it.
The_Gnat wrote:Also i like the ally setup which has been created so far, however i believe it would be better if the teams had the choice of declaring war on Both other teams.
That defeats the point of the rock-paper-scissors alliances. Imo, the main thing that makes this scenario interesting is that there is one team you can never attack and one that can never attack you, so it's a game of balance and negotiation.
The_Gnat wrote:Furthermore i was not able to get difficulty settings (EASY,MEDIUM,HARD) working with a MP scenario, so we might have to change the Dragons Lair to be a MP campaign. @ Samonella - is this acceptable
I don't really care either way, but I was planning to have a message prompting the user to select a difficulty, the same way that Colosseum does. It seems like the simplest thing to do. What differences would a campaign have, exactly? Just that you start it up in a different way? Seems like that would also prevent players from choosing factions, starting gold, income, etc, right? I don't really know.

Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Samonella wrote:
The_Gnat wrote:I have decided the mainline fire dragon is too uninteresting and so instead put Rich_Marinaccios_Dragons pack as a dependency and am using his dragon.
The drawback is that involving non-mainline sprites means that people have to have downloaded the add-on before joining the multiplayer game, which will make it harder to fill games and harder for this to catch on. But it is a pretty epic dragon, and I'm not really expecting this scenario to become a craze anyway so sure, why not include it.
Why not use conditional preprocessing?

#define chasin-the-cherrypickin-dragon
    #ifhave ~add-ons/Rich_Marinaccios_Dragons/_main.cfg
        ###
    #else
        ###
    #endif
#enddef
Of course, that above wouldn't be the most optimal approach.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Can-ned_Food wrote:Why not use conditional preprocessing?
Are you sure that would work? I'd think preprocessing would happen long before sending code across the network. Aren't the scenarios compiled when you open the Choose Scenario dialogue? If so, it wouldn't make much sense to send an unprocessed copy... but i suppose it's possible. I don't really know anything about it, just guessing.

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

@ Samonella - about the Rock paper siccors, yes i agree. Also did you see my commits, What do you think?

@ Can-ned-food - hmm... good idea. It would need testing over the network because i do not know how it would act. But in theory it would (for all the players with the mod installed) show the awesome dragon. And for all the other players it would show the normal dragon. I think that would be good. But like i said it needs testing.