[1.12.16] HttT Paladin can't equip flaming sword

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
PhoenixSword

[1.12.16] HttT Paladin can't equip flaming sword

Post by PhoenixSword »

Windows 10 x64
BfW v1.12.6 English

I tried to give my paladin the flaming sword from 16a Snow Plains and while it removes the sword from the map it doesn't give him the sword's attack. I tried giving it to both Li'Sar and Konrad and they both got the sword's attack when they took it.
Attachments
HttT_Campaign_-_Snow_Plains.gz
(92.49 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: [1.12.16] HttT Paladin can't equip flaming sword

Post by zookeeper »

Right, that bug has never been fixed for 1.12. A paladin isn't exactly the best choice for the sword, but if you do want it then here's your savefile with a hotfix applied to make it work as intended:
Attachments
HttT_Campaign_-_Snow_Plains_fixed.gz
(91.13 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
PhoenixSword

Post by PhoenixSword »

If you don't mind me asking can you tell me what you changed in the file? And I figured I would give the paladin the sword so I would have a better alternative to the charging attack.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

In the flaming sword's code (search for "flaming sword" to find them) I just changed a type="blade" line into type="blade,arcane" to let it match the Paladin's sword as well; the original problem was that the sword was set to only modify an attack which was of type blade, whereas Paladin's sword is arcane.

The reason why most people probably aren't going to give it to a Paladin is because he's one of the few units who actually gets an arcane melee attack, whereas you have tons of units with normal blade melee. Arguably, you're not actually going to need that arcane melee for pretty much anything in the campaign after that point, and in fact most units will have 20% arcane resistance so it's actually more of a hindrance, so... letting a Paladin switch his mostly useless arcane to fire (which almost no units are resistant to, and some are vulnerable to) isn't such a bad idea after all. I guess it's just a bit unintuitive.