I'll tell my opinion about the rules and what should be or not should be changed:
Rules i really liked and wouldn't change them in any way:
- The Mirror rule. If both players wants to play the mirror, they can, but if one wants to remake, they have to. I think its perfect the way it is now.
- The system. Two big groups, then pairs in the best 8. This way everyone can play a lot of games, but not too much.
- The timer rule. Btw almost anything that gives players a choice is good.
- The map pick in the best 8 and random maps in the group phase. (Another choice for players.)
- Deadlines and number of games decided at the beginning. This way everyone can decide if they have time for this.
Rules i think should be changed partly but it's not that important after all:
- I think players should be allowed to pick factions when they enter the game and they didn't see the opponent's faction yet. If both players pick the same faction, they could agree to play the mirror or they can go random. (Not that i want to pick faction, but i know someone who does... i think we all know who im talking about.
- I have to copy this one: "When this solution does not settle who is supposed to advance ( example: three players have equal number of points and direct matches do not allow to decide who is supposed to get higher rank) decides the amount of points in the Polish Ladder." Not that it'll happen very often, but this is an International Tournament. Why should the Polish Ladder decide, when there is the official Ladder, that everyone knows? This gives some players a small disadvantage. I for example, until this Tournament didn't even know about the existence of the Polish Ladder. Imo it would be more fair to use the official Ladder, but since it's a rare thing, it's not that important.
- When the organiser decides about the time of the games: it happened to me, and i gave my schedule, and it was taken into account, what is right. But i think it should be in the rules, that if the players tell the organiser the times they can play, if it's possible, the organiser will not ignore that. The players can believe that if the organiser decides anyway, it's pointless to tell him their schedule. Not everybody is as fussy as me.
Rules i think should be changed certainly:
- The map pool should be expanded. In my experience the most popular and best maps are not the ones that are in the game currently. Swamp of Dread for example imo is better than any other 1v1 map and it's extremely popular. Just look at the forum where playes rated maps not long ago. But there are also the Clearing Gushes and The Walls of Pyrennis, just to mention a few great maps. This would also give the players more choice when they can pick map. And in a game with so much random, every opporunity for choices is valuable.
- It's good that we know the deadlines right at the start, but the deadlines themselves could be a bit longer.
- (This is more of a suggestion than a change.) There are a few players who were on reserve list in this Tournament and couldn't play. I think it would be fair to next time, when players apply for the Tournament, if someone wanted to participate in the last one but couldn't (and still has no ladder history), that player should automatically jump to the top of the reserve list. This way, if a player tried to participate once, next time he'll have a better chance.
So these are my thoughts. As it seems, generally i agree with the rules, but in details i think it could be improved.
About the final: I didn't talk with Danniel yet, but i think you can expect the final fight on the weekend.