Let's Play After the Storm

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Re: Let's Play After the Storm

Post by ForestDragon »

I have to say, in this scenario, your humour was the best in the entire LP so far :)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I will try to update this more often, otherwise we are going to have "Wesnoth 2.0" before I ever finish this campaign :whistle:
ForestDragon wrote:I have to say, in this scenario, your humour was the best in the entire LP so far
Thanks! I guess, because there wasn't much strategy to talk about, and it's not really possible to make a strategy discussion funny :P
I think maybe there is too much detailed strategy discussion in these, because personally I'm really interested in all the little details of Wesnoth strategy (hex management, XP management, luck management etc.) but most people wouldn't be, so I will try to keep the strategy discussions shorter and more general :)
E1 S8 – Fear
Cutscene (Resolutions)
Even though Uria’s forces no longer have a direct passageway between our world and theirs, as long as there are summoners on this side and Uria’s demon lords on the other, she will continue to hold our home in her grasp. But perhaps there is a way to weaken the Chaos Empire further. If killing the Chaos Emperor did not suffice, it might be because his direct subordinates still exist: the Iron Triad.

But before we can even attempt to deal with them, we’ll need to deal with another problem. According to Mal Keshar—by means of that accursed journal—Argan abandoned Zocthanol Isle after Yechnagoth was vanquished, but not before recovering the creature’s heart. Although her soul was effectively destroyed along with her provisional body, her source of power—her heart—wasn’t directly connected to it, and Argan apparently ordered his minions to preserve it beneath the ruined plains of Wesmere. I presume that the biomechanical creatures we found in the caves there might be guarding it.
Oh great, Yechnagoth’s not really dead, and her source of power is being preserved under Wesmere, and it’s guarded by drones too! As if we didn’t have enough problems already…

Oh hey we get some free loyal units! I love free stuff.

Ugh wait a minute, looks like it was a package deal with that useless archer we now have to babysit.

Not everything went according to our plans.

A storm caught us by surprise and drove us off course. The ship barely withstood long enough to take us ashore, just in time to be greeted by the setting suns and a thick fog enveloping all. Stranded on an unknown land, we found ourselves before a foreboding forest at dusk.

Turn 3, The Long Dark (2)

We start heading north for a couple turns…
Alright, 3 guesses what “that thing” is…

:cry: Just seeing one of these is enough to inspire dread, as there is never just one....

Turn 4, The Long Dark (3)

I start recalling the loyal elves that just joined – there’s an archer, a shaman (a second healer!) and a fighter.

Turn 6, First Dawn

I also recruited some assorted veterans last turn. The chaos empire has kindly greeted us by sending some free experience our way.

The first chaos cavalier helps our dark sorcerer level into a necromancer.
I start recruiting a bunch of level 1 spam – quantity is definitely better than quality in this scenario. (Skeletal undead are bad here because they’re weak to the drones’ impact damage, so the orcs now get the job of being cannon fodder. Lucky them!)

Turn 7, First Morning

In the north… well, let’s not talk about it right now…

In the south a cavalier got ambushed by Elynia, so now he’s stuck in the 20% defense swamp.

Whack! Our loyal shaman is halfway toward leveling now!

Mal Keshar blasts a drone from the northern village because he can do whatever he wants.

Everyone else forms a line, and I start spamming sprites. The lawful sprites are actually great in this scenario because the long dark just ended and much of the battle will take place during daytime, and their magical attack can hit those annoying 50% defense flying drones.

Turn 8, First Midday

Augh it’s the drone apocalypse!!

The drones understandably wanted nothing to do with Mal Keshar, but a few of them have come to attack some tasty orcs, so we’ll clear them out first.

I have about a zillion sprites so they get to work frying drones.

We form a line and invite the drones to come and attack.

Turn 9, First Afternoon

The drones come to attack again, but too bad for them- it’s still day, and I still have a zillion sprites.

The sprites start frying drones, and Dela the shaman even whacks one to death with her staff.

Every sprite fries something – they’re really earning their pay!

And we’ve successfully cleared out all the nearby drones! Only 387482 left to go…

The northwest village looks very unsafe, so I just put an expendable ghost there.

Turn 10, First Dusk

Another group of drones attacks, but it’s an easy job for our sprites which are now drone removal experts.

We start clearing them out, and one of the sprites even levels from killing a level 2 drone.

The rest of the drones are easily taken care of. I think we’re finally seeing the end of them!

…aaand in the west there’s a massive army of chaos empire units heading our way. It’s just one thing after another!

We’ve gotten very lucky so far. Though, I was actually hoping for some of the sprites to die so I wouldn’t have to pay their upkeep anymore, as my income is quite negative.

Turn 11, The Short Dark

The two drones managed to kill a sprite but Dela gets revenge and whacks one to death with her staff. Now we have another +8 healer!

And just when we thought our trouble with drones was over (it never is…), it turns out there are level 2 drones lurking around in the north.

The other units stay back to wait for the chaos army to approach, and Mal Keshar hopes that someone is dumb enough to attack him.

Turn 12, Second Dawn

In the north, we’ve got two sentry drones to take care of. The wraith kills one and levels (after the stupid druid missed 3 times).

And the other spectres make quick work of the other.

Meanwhile in the south, the chaos empire units seem to having some kind of beach party in the south, and amazingly one of them was actually dumb enough to attack Mal Keshar last turn.

Our units head south to join in on the beach party, and we also fry that invader in the forest.

Turn 13, Second Morning

The other group of chaos empire units has decided to go sightseeing in the northern mountains instead.

We just pick off the nearby enemies, and use the fodder grunt to help block the rest.

In the south, Elynia and Mal Keshar are here, so these poor chaos empire guys never had a chance.

They pretty much die instantly, and the invader even gets turned into a corpse by the necromancer.

Turn 14, Second Midday

I hate how these sentry drones just come out of nowhere!! I probably should have brought a bat to scout.

We kill the sentry drone, and –
THERE IS A LEVEL 3 DRONE :augh:

Turn 15, Second Afternoon

We start cautiously advancing north towards the war drone. The loyal fighter advances to a captain for leadership, because we sure weren’t getting any leadership from Galas.

I try using some bait to lure it out, but it seems the war drone was too smart for that.

Meanwhile, our small group of heroes in the south advances toward the other enemy leader.

Turn 16, Second Dusk

We keep heading north… and there was another sentry drone hiding in the back. I try use the orcish archer as bait.

Turn 17, The Long Dark (1)

The archer predictably died, but I can’t honestly say that I miss him too much. I’m not sure he did anything this scenario.

The adept gets the kill on the sentry drone and we keep heading north. Almost there!

Meanwhile our heroes in the west try to approach without getting in range of the chaos magus.

Turn 18, The Long Dark (2)

Argh! Turns out the war drone will come out to attack a bat, so I accidentally lured it all the way northwest.

Fortunately the spectres will be able to reach, if we get rid of the nearby units first.

The war drone may be OP, but it’s not as OP as spectres and nightgaunts during the night. The two spectres soften up the drone, and the nightgaunt finishes it off with backstab.

Meanwhile in the south… aghhh what happened to Elynia?! I thought she was supposed to have 70% defense in the forest!

Well, at least we’ve successfully lured out all these units so we can slaughter them easily now.

Elynia runs off to heal and I attempt to use the corpse as bait.

Turn 19, The Long Dark (3)

Our entire army marches on the remaining leader. The poor guy didn’t even have cash to recruit anything last turn.

Turn 20, The Long Dark (4)

I have several units in range of the leader so I try to kill him this turn, starting with the necromancer who has good resistance to arcane.

And… bye bye!

…or not. Mal Keshar seems to having a very bad day. We still have a fire faerie and ghost in range though.

Victory! Now let’s go and –

Um, looks like we can’t find Galas. Whatever, let’s just leave.

Okay, now that’s a problem. Guess we have to go find them after all…

Advancements: dark sorceror, 2 fire faeries, necromancer, captain, druid, spectre
Losses: just cannon fodder (2 sprites, orcish grunt, orcish archer, bat, walking corpse)
Restarts: 1 restart due to Kyara dying to the drone horde. At 48 HP she’s even worse than Galas…

Attachments
AtS-1-Fear_replay.gz
(71.33 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Your commentary improved now indeed :)

btw, looks like the chaos empire has learned their lesson after roughly 999.9 fails: DO NOT ATTACK MAL-KESHAR! go to a beach party, or something, because even that is much more useful.

btw, i played AtS before, and it's kind of difficult for me not to give you spoilers.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

named unit requests:
cannon fodder names: 'Delicious!' 'Yum-yum!' 'Come at me!' 'Wait, what?!' 'Why did i sign up for this?' 'Help!'
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

ForestDragon wrote:named unit requests:
cannon fodder names: 'Delicious!' 'Yum-yum!' 'Come at me!' 'Wait, what?!' 'Why did i sign up for this?' 'Help!'
Those are all good but if I may make a suggestion as well; and it's the first thing that came to mind. 'Redshirt'.

I mean they're gonna be color coated red anyway, it works so well!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

MerlinCross wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:named unit requests:
Those are all good but if I may make a suggestion as well; and it's the first thing that came to mind. 'Redshirt'.

I mean they're gonna be color coated red anyway, it works so well!
Genious! :D
Aeryllos

Post by Aeryllos »

Inky wrote: Image
Whoa! As awesome as Mal Keshar is, I’m starting to fear for his safety…
Pretty sure at this point Malin could curbstomp Elynia, I wouldn't worry too much :D

IftU + ATS ending spoilers
Spoiler:
daud2001

Post by daud2001 »

Inky wrote:
E1 S5 – Bay of Tirigaz
Hey, haven’t you heard of what happened in Dead Water? A whole army of undead got wiped out by a cuttlefish! Okay, some mermen may have helped a little.
That reminds me of Inky's Quest.

Loved the LP by the way.
A fan and a player since kindergarten.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I guess it's been a while again, but I haven't forgotten about this, though maybe we will have "Wesnoth 3D" by the time I finish the campaign :whistle:

Cannon fodder names: I'll put those in next scenario :D

daud2001: I loved Inky's Quest! Well, I guess that wouldn't be so hard to figure out, considering my username ;)
E1 S9 – The Triad
In midst of the battle, a dark mist enshrouded everything around me. I tried casting a fire to help me see my surroundings, but somehow the flames did not appear. It was then that a tremendous force pierced my head, a force too strong to resist...
Galas and Elynia have somehow managed to get themselves captured last battle – pretty normal for Galas, but I really expected better from Elynia.
When I finally opened my eyes, it was already too late.

My hands and feet were burning. I was chained to the floor of a pitch-black cell, unable to escape, screaming and writhing in pain. They had finally captured me, and subjected me to the customary torture employed on those of my kind; because they knew I could pose no threat to them for as long as I was bound by the cold iron.

The pain.

I know not how much time passed in reality, for the excruciating pain kept me only barely conscious until they arrived to drag me out of the dungeon. Was it hours? Days, perhaps? Does it even matter?
Oh great, we have Elynia versus a zillion chaos empire units. (Galas doesn’t count since he is no help at all.)

And this pest from IftU is back!

The members of the Iron Council take turns introducing themselves.

Not her again?!! She’s like a roach, she just doesn’t die…

She really likes the sound of her own voice, so we’re treated to a very lengthy monologue.

Man, she just doesn't stop talking! Is this one of the Chaos Empire's new torture techniques?

TL;DR Elynia’s staff can be used to connect Irdya and Inferno, where Uria and her demons are.

Well, I guess it’s Elyssa’s staff now…

But not if Mal Keshar has anything to say about it!

He even brought some cannon fodder with him!

Mal Kendria expects a bunch of useless level 1s to take down our level 3/4 heroes? She must be new to Wesnoth.

Turn 1

The enemy leaders are actually surrounded by impassible terrain, so we only need to worry about the nearby units. The only remotely threatening guy is this level 3 chaos razerman…

…but he was in range of both Mal Keshar and Elynia, so it’s like he was never even there.

The other nearby units are very easily cleared out by our horde of allies. That was easy!

Turn 2

Elyssa kills off all our undead units. Oh well, it was nice while they lasted (for 1 whole turn…)

All the sprites got killed next. I guess she couldn’t think of a spell for the orcs, or maybe she just didn’t bother because orcish units suck…

Some reinforcements appear in the west and south. The way northwest is completely clear though (well, we do have to fight our way through some Doors ;) )

Turn 3

Our heroes easily escape into the northwest corridor.

Turn 1

We start heading west and then north…

A day in the life of Galas just isn’t complete without a horde of drones.

But Mal Keshar the god said "Let there be cannon fodder," and lo - out of nowhere, free undead fodder units did appear.

Turn 2

The sentry drone wasn’t so bright and range attacked Elynia, so we easily finish it off.

We keep heading west where there’s yet another sentry drone lurking around.

Turn 4

A second drone attacks out of nowhere. Campaign tip: whenever you see fog, there is a 99% chance that a sentry drone is lurking in the fog.

Mal Keshar obliterates one and one of the fodder skeletons finishes the other.

Turn 6

We then make our way north through the Corridor of Even More Drones, and level our skeleton in the process.

Turn 7

Past the corridor is an impassible gate.

Turn 8

We move to the gate…

More drones, who didn’t see this coming?

Fortunately Mal Keshar summons some more fodder undead. Everyone retreats into the 3-hex passageway.

Turn 9

The drones approach and we start frying them.

We even level a ghost by killing the rayblade.

Turn 10

The drones are mostly gone because they decided to attack Mal Keshar last turn, though we still have to deal with the level 3 stormblade.

Mal Keshar: the solution to all of Wesnoth’s problems.

Turn 11

We can now proceed north.

Turn 12

We keep heading north…
…surprise!

First drones, now Elyssa, our day is just getting better and better.

Mal Keshar summons a bunch of high level undead to keep her busy.

Turn 13

Our heroes run to the exit. Too bad we had to leave all those loyal undead behind… :(

Great, this giant cave maze never ends. Well at least we’ve gotten away from –

:doh:

Turn 1

As usual there are drones everywhere, though they conveniently all end up attacking Mal Keshar and dying.

Turn 2

We keep heading west, while Elyssa gives us some friendly encouragement.

Turn 3

We then go north, across a bridge.

Turn 6

We reach a chamber with a healing glyph, but it seems to be a dead end.

Actually, it was yet another drone ambush.

We send everyone through the northwest passage, and Mal Keshar stays in the back to deal with the drones.

Turn 7

The drones once again kindly got rid of themselves by attacking Mal Keshar.

We enter a new area with... well, I think you get the pattern by now.

Turn 9

At this point I’m just happy to see level 1 drones, because at least they aren’t level 2 (or 3…) drones.

Turn 10

A swarm of level 1 drones comes at us, and we leave Mal Keshar on the village so he can take care of them.

Turn 11

The drones mostly killed themselves on Mal Keshar yet again, though he’s pretty wounded now so we just wait around for several turns to have him heal (I’ve gotten really paranoid about sentry drones coming out of the fog).

Turn 14

It turns out there were only a bunch of level 1 drones here though. We make our way to the exit in the southwest…

And it’s yet another dead end!
Yeah, about that “water”…

I like this idea!

Where did she come from?!

Noooo, he died to just one attack?! This is a new low, even for Galas…

Elynia finally gets that teleportation spell working, though it was too late to save Galas.

We will certainly miss Galas and his high damage leadership healing …okay he wasn’t really doing anything. But he will be missed nonetheless.
Attachments
AtS-1-The_Triad_—_Part_1_replay.gz
(60.71 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
AtS-1-The_Triad_—_Part_2_replay.gz
(56.45 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
AtS-1-The_Triad_—_Part_3_replay.gz
(52.42 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

We will certainly miss Galas and his high damage leadership healing …okay he wasn’t really doing anything. But he will be missed nonetheless.
If nothing else, we'll miss him as a comedic foil. Who's going to be the butt-monkey of the group now?
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Galas was a brilliant leader in IftU, sadly he lost the knack afterwards.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

UnwiseOwl wrote:
If nothing else, we'll miss him as a comedic foil. Who's going to be the butt-monkey of the group now?
Lol. In the end thats all Galas was good for i suppose. Lets face it, he was 99% useless in AtS. In IftU at least he had leadership.
Jokes aside, this scenario is one of the best ever when it comes to plot. It just felt so awesome the first time i played it... Elyssa snatching the staff and then Mal Keshar popping up out of nowhere with an army and kicking some ass. Then we see Elyssa using Uria powers to decimate said army followed by the epic retreat of the Trio.. And i remember being stunned speechless when Elyssa butchered Galas out of nowhere. I never saw that coming(tbh i had thought after everything they had survived together , the trio were unkillable lol )... And if i remember correctly Our Undead God's half dead too by now. Something about lower half missing after the teleportation ? All in all a near perfect scenario.

I agree with what taptaps said. Tbh, i never really thought of galas as a loser before. He seemed like a great guy to me in my first game. I only realized his wimpyness after reading all of inkys comments.. :doh:
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
taptap

Post by taptap »

I really did not like this scenario when I first played it. The story is ever more comedy and the former hero killed off to make space for different loyals. Inky captures this well, it just felt grotesque to me how the same enemies show up again and again. Galas was cool, he could have retired, but ...
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Poor Galas! He just died and everyone is pouring on the hate...
E1 S10 – Tears
It is really hard to acknowledge your own mistakes, at times. It’s especially hard to face reality once it turns against you by taking away those whom you love the most.

Galas was more than just a friend.

I could never tell him how I really felt. I could never tell him why I cared so much.

After Argan’s death, I swore I would not get emotionally involved with anyone again. There is no point in trying if this is the inevitable end met by all those around me. It has happened before, and yet... this feeling of emptiness... it is as overwhelming as ever.
I don’t get why she’s so sad, we have like 100 units on the recall list which are wayyy better than Galas was.

Since Elynia is too busy eulogizing Galas in her diary, our other heroes are left to talk amongst themselves.

She’s back! I guess she ran out of good things to say about Galas.

Map layout: we’re in the south and there’s an enemy leader way in the north and another in the center.
There are also a zillion drones hanging around as usual. Probably, it would save space if I only mentioned the times there weren’t a zillion drones around…

Turn 1, First Dawn

We recall the loyals and start getting some fodder orcs (the creative cannon fodder names are courtesy of ForestDragon and MerlinCross).

Turn 2, First Morning

Since we’re nearing the end of this part of the campaign and recalls don’t carry over, there is no point in trying to level new units. I recall two experienced spectres to hopefully AMLA them, and just get some more fodder, including some level 0 so I don’t go negative on income, as there are no nearby villages.

Turn 3, First Midday

Our fodder army marches northeast. A not so bright drone killed itself attacking Mal Keshar last turn, and we have Kyara lure out another assault drone in the northeast.

Turn 4, First Afternoon

Kyara successfully lured out the drone, and the green army arrives. It’s really not very intimidating as they are all level 1 units – Mal Keshar could pretty much destroy them on his own.

A spectre finishes the drone, and we make a line with the strong units in front.

Turn 5, First Dusk

Two chaos invaders were foolish enough to come attack Mal Keshar last turn, so they’ll be the first to die.

Kyara snipes one and Mal Keshar softens the other so our crappy loyal archer can level up and become only slightly less useless.

Elynia and Redshirt gang up on the horseman and we kill off some bowmen in the north, using our fodder units from the front.

We then stick some more fodder in the southeast to protect Elynia and Kyara.

Enemy turn:

Wow, they really took Come at Me!’s name literally. He didn’t go down easily, R.I.P….

Sadly we also lose Delicious the grunt in the northwest, and Redshirt the archer.

Turn 6, The Short Dark

Our army is looking kind of small now…we’ll try to kill the enemies here as quickly as possible, before we run out of fodder.

Every one of our units attacks something, with the fragile units like archers using the inner hexes so other units can protect them.

The other units in this case being these useless level 0 goblins.

Enemy turn:

The group of four bowmen in the south all decide to attack Mal Keshar. I think we all know how this goes.

It is said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results…

Turn 7, Second Dawn

We have Mal Keshar has basically wiped out the green units, though the northern blue army is starting to arrive and another 2 goblins bit the dust last turn.

We just use the nearby enemies as target practice for the loyal elves.

Turn 8, Second Morning

The bad news is, our last grunt got killed last turn, and there are a zillion chaos invokers coming from the north.

The good news is, the invokers were in range of our melee attackers, so they will never even get to attack.

We also clear out the chaos invaders with our ranged units.

Enemy turn:

Range attacking a lawful sharpshooter during the day is not such a bright idea.

Guess this guy didn’t get the memo either…

Wow, Kyara is the new Mal Keshar!

Turn 9, Second Midday

Because most of their members made very poor life decisions last turn, this is just about all that’s left of the enemy army now.

Basically, they are just free XP now.

As usual we make a line with the beefy units in front.

Turn 10, Second Afternoon

And as usual, the chaos empire units attack into our line and almost die in the process.

We help them die the rest of the way, and Elynia tries to slow the leader but it didn’t work. Fortunately for us we still have one more fodder goblin left!

Turn 11, Second Dusk

It actually worked – the leader could have melee attacked Elynia but went for the poor goblin instead.

We give the leaderkill the loyal marksman, and help ourselves to the clump of villages here. I get a couple more fodder units (I had to name them myself, since I already killed all the ones you guys named… :oops: )

Turn 12, The Long Dark (1)

The enemy army is pretty much gone now, so it’s an easy walk north to the other leader.

Skipping turn 13, which is just more walking north.

Turn 14, The Long Dark (3)

We approach the final leader. There’s another assault drone nearby, so we use our new cannon fodder to lure it out.

Turn 15, The Long Dark (4)

Well, that grunt didn’t last very long at all.

There are a couple more drones in the west which we’ll have to watch out for. If possible I want to kill the eastern drone using the two hexes to the right of it, so that the northwest drone won’t also be able to reach, because two drones being able to reach a unit is bad news.

Basically, it’s just another Wesnoth problem that’s instantly solved with Mal Keshar. On the right, our remaining fodder grunt tries to lure out the enemy leader.

Turn 16, First Dawn

Things are going really well - the drone in the west killed itself attacking Mal Keshar and the leader took our grunt bait. We feed the kill to the loyal druid.

Then we just kill the remaining invoker, and Elynia can already reach the north of the map. An easy victory, thanks to the orcs’ (cough) help.

Advancements: Quenoth archer -> marksman
Losses: basically all the fodder (3 goblins, orcish archer, 4 grunts)
Restarts: none

We got some good XP for the loyal elves and the two spectres, so this scenario was a success! The unit list this time is conspicuously shorter though…. :whistle:
Attachments
AtS-1-Tears_replay.gz
(66.47 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Good! You wouldn't want all that fodder messing up your recall list, anyway.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.