Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera", for 1.16, 1.14, 1.12 and 1.10)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Gnat

Re: "Altered" era/ruleset

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, the altered era with new sprites has been uploaded now! If anyone sees any problems please post them. Currently it includes new sprites for the elves but hopefully i will be able to do the same for the gnome faction at some point! :D
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.2.3 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- "Altered Random map" generator is tweaked to include most terrain types in relative abundance, also includes deep water and caves that are not present in default random map generator, Minimum distance between castles/keeps was increased from default 12 to 40 for more even distribution so this random map generator cannot be used for small maps and requires small number of players on medium maps
- "Healing Hamlets": units that start their turn on hamlets (flowering water lilies, great tree, well, mountain watchtower) are healed for 4 hitpoints or cured from poison, this effect is not cumulative with healing and regrowth unit abilities, "Altered Random map" generator also scatters these terrain types on its map, Warning: "watchtower" and "well" terrain types are custom-made, be sure to get respective .cfg file from scenarios subfolder if you want to use them in your addon, also healing is not inherent property of these terrain types, it is implemented as an event handler instead
- removed duplication of some text in era's description and renamed Elven Menstrel to Minstrel to follow language rules (credit goes to The_Gnat for spotting and reporting these issues)
- when playing against computer players, after/during first turn starting camera moves to every player's starting location in order, got this feature accidentally (!) while trying to prevent "greeting" messages being used to spoil previous player's position
- raised gnomes' defense in forest from 40% to 50%
- "AI invasion support" rule now starts with a ceiling of 3 instead of 5 - with "AI ancestral memory" rule it was a bit too tough
- effect of "benevolent lend" rule is now applied before effect of "corruption" rule to avoid reducing effect of "corruption" when player is low on cash
- "treasury tax" rule is renamed to "storage expenses" - as if it matters )
Attachments
Altered 0.2.3 (core).zip
(5.07 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.2.3 (portraits).zip
(5.89 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by lea on February 6th, 2024, 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.2.4 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- fixed elven minstrel's sprites (were absent/invisible due to typos I made in minstrel's cfg's for previous version) - I wonder how I managed to miss such an obvious one for weeks... looks like I am talented, at least in ignorance )
- "duel" version of altered random map was added, it is 20x20 with 25 villages per 1000 squares by default and has minimum distance between castles equal to 12
- experience penalty for death and dismissal is now applied on death/dismiss so recall list shows same amount of exp that units will have when recalled, was unable to do the same for hitpoints
- dead AI units are not moved to recall list to (hopefully) speed up processing of some custom rules - AI is not taught to recall anyway
- message about reducing player's debt according to "benevolent lend" rule is now shown only for player it is applied to
Attachments
Altered 0.2.4 (core).zip
(6.17 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.2.4 (portraits).zip
(7.45 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by lea on February 6th, 2024, 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.3.0 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- added third "Altered" race - darguls (called drakes in mainline), tried to make it not too powerful despite having only fast units (speed 8, flying) by making their units expensive and with relatively low defense (base defense never higher than 50% and relatively scarce resistances compared to other 'altered' races)
- fixed nonlethal attack special being sometimes lethal when used by defending unit
- majority of gold lost because of "corruption" rule is now distributed among surviving rivals
- slowed and poisoned statuses are removed from unit when it is killed or dismissed - these used to be preserved after recall
- healing hamlets now use hidden healing ability filtered by location instead of "side turn" event handler, healing from healing hamlet and resting is now shown with one rising number, similar to healing from villages
- effects of shield and reckless attack specials are now negated when opponent retaliates with attack having mystical attack special (not reflected in damage calculations window for BfW 1.10.7)
- increased elven fighter price from 18 to 20, elven kensai's melee attack now has parrying and roundabout instead of circular(double), reduced damage of elven oracle's haunting vision from 27 to 26 (from 37 to 35 for elven oracle hero)
- hitpoints of units that got into recall list because they died or were dismissed are now shown as equal to 10 (as they will be when they are recalled) instead of whatever amount they had when they were dismissed or killed
Attachments
Altered 0.3.0 (core).zip
(6.4 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.3.0 (portraits).zip
(7.45 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by lea on February 3rd, 2024, 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice I like the new changes you have made. Unfortunately I have not had time to update my version of your era yet, and may not for another month. And sadly I dont see in the near future adding new images for the gnomes or darguls. Nevertheless I still think it is great what you have done! With 3 factions it has now become a (in my opinion) full era (though more factions are aways good) :D

Keep up the good work!
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:Nice I like the new changes you have made.
I like them too ;)
The_Gnat wrote:Unfortunately I have not had time to update my version of your era yet, and may not for another month. And sadly I dont see in the near future adding new images for the gnomes or darguls.
will be waiting for that ) I used all images of drake units I could find except four so it is going to be rather challenging for you. finding images for gnomes should be a whole lot easier
The_Gnat wrote:Nevertheless I still think it is great what you have done! With 3 factions it has now become a (in my opinion) full era (though more factions are aways good) :D
well, "more or less full" as I wrote in description on BfW's addons server. I still hesitate to remove default factions and call it 1.0

altering one faction/race took roughly 7-8 weeks for me so far and it may take longer in the future. I had quite a lot of free time to pour into it during last few months but it may change, sooner or later.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.3.1 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- altered random map generators now put villages in caves, snow hills, snow mountains and deep water, also they put occasional fords and reefs in water, chasms and rockbound caves in caves and muddy quagmire in swamps
- fixed units rest-healing when poisoned
- poisoned/hindered statuses are preserved after avancement except for units with "enduring" trait
- removed mistakenly added "Hero" suffix from Gnome Skyward's name
Attachments
Altered 0.3.1 (core).zip
(7.12 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.3.1 (portraits for darguls and elves).zip
(5.74 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.3.1 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
(2.46 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by lea on February 6th, 2024, 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I am working on creating new sprites for the Altered Era. (current the elvish faction has been completed) I am now working on the Gnome faction and here is a picture of the new unit database.
Spoiler:
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.3.2 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- reworked nonlethal attack special - now it takes all damage modifiers into account but shows hitpoints of units engaged in combat encounter against enemy that uses nonlethal attack as if they are full (real value is returned when combat encounter ends)
- altered random map generators now scatter a few chasms over mountain ranges in addition to caves
- fixed Dargul Forge being unable to advance to Dargul Volcano
- balance tweaks: increased price of Dargul Enforcer by 1, reduced price of Dargul Treater by 1, increased experience requirements for Dargul Burner, Dargul Enforcer and all of their advancements (after suggestions of The_Gnat)
- fixed typo in description of "triggered" attack special (credit for spotting and reporting this goes to The_Gnat)
- replaced image for rejuvenation advancement - old "well" image seemed kind of dull and is used as healing hamlet as well
- fixed era's description text shown on multiplayer setup screen - it used to state that only one faction is "altered" so far even though gnomes ("altered" dwarves) and darguls ("altered" drakes) are also available. somehow managed to ignore it for months :oops: until now :)
Attachments
Altered 0.3.2 (core).zip
(7.29 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.3.2 (portraits for darguls and elves).zip
Altered 0.3.2 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
(2.73 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by lea on February 6th, 2024, 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.3.3 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- "info about..." right-click menu items are remade as messages with menus of chapters so that they do not clutter right-click menu
- leaders now have "recruiter" trait to mark their ability to recruit other units (also in settlements)
- reworked internals of menu items for dismiss and recruit in settlement, no changes should be visible from user's point of view except maybe (negligibly small) performance boost
- fixed sound of "aimed bow" attack for elven archer - now it has proper delay between sounds of bowstring pulling and release
Attachments
Altered 0.3.3 (core).zip
(7.72 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.3.3 (portraits for darguls and elves).zip
Altered 0.3.3 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
(3.47 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 8:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello! I am happy to announce that version 0.3.3 of the altered era [+new sprites] has been released! It adds the two new factions made by lea: the gnomes and darguls. And modifies the images of the gnomes to make each unit unique! So go download it now!

(most likely there will be some bugs in this new release because i haven't had time to extensively test it so if any image or other errors are seen than please post!)
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.3.4 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- names suffixes for units of "more of the same" kind (compared to units they advance from) are changed from "Champion" to "Hero" for level 2 units and from "Hero" to "Legend" for level 3 units, after typical names for eras that allow to hire units of these levels ("Era of Heroes", "Era of Legends"), name suffix for leader units is changed to "Avatar" because the word "Leader" is (arguably) visually similar to the word "Legend"
- units do not twitch anymore after fighting against an opponent that uses attack with circular attack special (this fix works only for "altered" units, not for units from mainline factions)
- circular attack special now does not show as attack with increased quantity of strikes (in attack preview window, for example, "10-3 circular(double)" attack used to be shown as "10-5" although its extra strikes are performed and animated only if some of base strikes missed)
Attachments
Altered 0.3.4 (core).zip
(4.95 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Altered 0.3.4 (images of all units).zip
(3.07 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.3.4 (portraits for darguls and elves).zip
Altered 0.3.4 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
(4.33 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by lea on February 7th, 2024, 9:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I think it's good you have changed the title. The I always thought that 'hero' didn't sound as good as 'champion'. Now it is unmistakable that 'legend' is the higher level unit.
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:I think it's good you have changed the title. The I always thought that 'hero' didn't sound as good as 'champion'. Now it is unmistakable that 'legend' is the higher level unit.
these can be changed in /misc/unit-name-suffixes.cfg (path relative to "Altered" root folder), for all "altered" units at once. just in case you come up with better titles ;)
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.4.0 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:

- added fourth "Altered" race/faction - thanats (called undead in mainline), many units of this race have very uneven resistances (especially skeletons) and their scouts are ethereal spirits - they inflict and receive half damage unless fighting another spirit and cannot be healed by healing abilities of other units turning villages and healing hamlets into primary sources of healing for them
- slightly reduced damage of all attacks for elven oracle and elven sybil, oracle also got reduced experience requirement
- remade braceable weapon special and fortify ability to use unit list stored for desperate stand and ancestral memory custom rules, this should reduce waiting time before player's turn start in late games on large maps
- remade 'swarming' attack special based on events instead of [swarm] tag, now number of strikes for 'swarming' attacks is rounded up (full number of strikes until max_hitpoints/base_number_of_strikes hp is lost instead of reducing number of strikes by one once unit loses at least one hitpoint, never less than one strike), pre-combat screen may show wrong number of strikes for opponent's attacks with 'swarming' special when opponent was healed after its last combat encounter - this can be refreshed manually by right-clicking on opponent unit before combat encounter and selecting 'Update Attacks Math' option (there is no 'healing' event in BfW so select, attack and attack end events are used to update number of strikes for attacks with 'swarming')
- moved unit level badges 2 pixels up so that they are visible under labels of places' names written on map
- fixed unit level badge not being updated when unit advances because of experience gain from 'ancestral memory' rule
- tiny fixes for unit recalling: now units do not rest-heal right after the turn during which they were recalled (unless they have 'enduring' trait), also dismiss option in right-click menu now recognizes units that were just recalled as such instead of treating them as units that performed actions during current turn
- "rejuvenation" advancement now has its proper image (used to be same as "healing instead of advancement")
Attachments
Altered 0.4.0 (core).zip
(4.95 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.4.0 (images of all units).zip
(3.07 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Altered 0.4.0 (portraits for darguls and elves).zip
Altered 0.4.0 (portraits for gnomes and thanats).zip
(4.33 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by lea on February 3rd, 2024, 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.