Translatable hero names

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Should hero names be translated?

No. We have to know if we're talking about the same person, and who would know that Ludwig and Konrad are the same?
28%
Yes. Some of the names are silly in specific languages. Konrad is too medieval in German.
No votes
Yes. It is necessary to be able to decline the names in several languages.
13%
Yes. For both of the above reasons.
8%
Yes and no. Declension is necessary, but the names should stay as close to the originals as feasible.
51%

Total votes: 39

mpolo

Post by mpolo »

I kind of suspected that it was as easy as just marking the names for gettext, but didn't know the details. In that case, is it probable that someone could add the little underscores in CVS (after 0.8.10 comes out, of course)?

The "random names inside of WML" are probably out of reach of translating properly, but they are not much used at present, so don't cause me all that much worry...

(The reason that I want the names under the pictures translated is that in order to decline Konrad, it has to be Conradus in the nominative -- since K exists in about 2-3 words in the entire Latin language -- to wit, Kalendae, Kaeso, and in some authors Karthago -- it's not really an option to keep the K, and the -us allows declension in the dialogues.)
mpolo

Post by mpolo »

If we are right in presuming that adding the gettext "_" to the hero names would be enough to complete this request, I could go through the cfgs and make the change, if someone would be willing to commit it afterwards. Would this be acceptable?
silene

Post by silene »

mpolo wrote:If we are right in presuming that adding the gettext "_" to the hero names would be enough to complete this request
No, you must not add a "_" to the hero names, you will break the whole game once the names start getting translated. You must add a "user_description" field next to the "description" field, and it is this new field that will be translated. See Invisible Philosopher's post.

If you add it, and more importantly if you test it and get translated names, then just post it on the patch section in savanah, and I will commit it.
mpolo

Post by mpolo »

Thanks for the information. My quick sanity check by changing that field in a save file and trying to load and win a level indicates that it should work, so I guess I'll just update my CVS copy and prepare a patch. Hopefully, I'll have it within a day or two, depending on a million other factors, of course...