Wesnoth 1.13.7

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Wesnoth 1.13.7

Post by vultraz »

Wesnoth 1.13.7 is out!

Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot

After much hard work over the last four months, 1.13.7 is here! This will likely be the last main release of the 1.13 series; we're expecting 1.13.8 to be the first of the 1.14 release candidates (1.14. RC1). This might change, though.

Now, on to the biggest changes.

Continuing the trend of UI improvements, this release feature the debut of the brand new Addon Manager UI we teased awhile back on our Facebook page. It integrates all the relevant add-on-related actions in one place, meaning players can get to downloading your creations even faster. There are still improvements we hope to deploy here before 1.14, so feedback welcome.

Also in this release: a new campaign has been promoted to mainline status: Secret of the Ancients by beetlenaut! We hope everyone enjoys this new inclusion. While we've done our best to make sure it's completely bug free, we encourage everyone to play through it and pass on any issues or suggestions for improvements.

We've also added a handful of new multiplayer maps.

Finally, dozens of pesky bugs have also been fixed, many of which were pointed out by you, the players, here on the forums or on the bug tracker. Keep it up! :) We'll need that feedback going forward.

And lastly, an update on the Steam situation: we have received our SteamID and are in the process of setting up our store page. If all goes well, we will indeed have 1.14 out on Steam within the next few months. Keep in mind we won't be releasing on Steam until 1.14 proper - ie, once all release candidates have been exhausted and we have 1.14.0.
  • Download and install, making sure to keep the latest stable release around in case the game breaks and you find yourself unable to get your daily fix of Wesnoth.
  • Playtest the game, try out some of the API additions for content creators, and write down your observations in a notebook or similar.
  • If you encounter issues, don’t panic; instead, grab some bug spray and protective gear, and head directly to our instructions for reporting bugs. Most importantly, keep in mind that we can’t know about any bugs you encounter unless you report them to us!
  • Near the end of the release notes below you will find a list of the most important bugs known at the time of release. Some items are due to be fixed in the next release, but for others we depend on contributed patches from volunteer coders like you! (If you are a coder, that is.)
  • Check our bug tracker for a full list of bugs and feature requests, including other bugs found after the release was published.
Read on for more details about the most notable fixes and additions in this release:
General
Secrets of the Ancients, an intermediate level undead campaign with 21 scenarios, has now entered mainline after being on the 1.12 & 1.13 add-on servers.
  • New and improved lava.
  • The Fake Map Border terrain now connects with the real map borders and can better be used to change the apparent shape of the map.
  • Castles of different types now connect with each other with fewer glitches, as do castles and adjacent wall-type terrains.
  • Several new maps: 2p Clearing Gushes, 2p Hellhole, 2p Ruined Passage, 2p Ruphus Isle, 2p Swamp of Dread, 2p The Walls of Pyrennis, 2p Tombs of Kesorak, 4p Bath of Glory, 4p Geothermal.
  • The Addon Manager UI has been completely revamped.
  • The Statistics dialog has a new look (we forgot to mention this in the changelog :( )
  • Available modifications are now always visible when selecting a campaign.
  • Fixed a pesky bug in the Map Editor where scrolling the terrain palette would also scroll the map.
  • New lua function wesnoth.add_widget_definition() to register custom GUI widget definitions.
  • Many bugfixes and balance adjustments relating to the new elf units.
  • {FOREACH} macro is now deprecated (this was forgotten in previous announcement?)
  • [set_menu_item] needs_select=yes was deprecated
  • [on_redo] is deprecated. Since the game will now execute the original events when redoing, the game now ignores the contents on [on_redo]
  • The type_tree key in standard unit filters (added in 1.13.6) has been renamed to type_adv_tree.
Known Issues
General bugs:
  • The MP server has trouble with Local player types in campaigns (bug #21965 [Gna.org]). We have decided to postpone dealing with this. In the meantime, you might try assigning such sides to the host, or running multiple instances of Wesnoth.
General bugs:
  • The game can crash when planning recruits in Planning Mode.
Bugs specific to macOS:
  • Trackpad tap clicking is sometimes not recognized (forum post).
  • Unofficial builds with OpenMP support enabled randomly freeze (bug #18144 [Gna.org]).
As is to be expected with development releases, there may be many, many more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including WML and Lua API additions for user-made content creators, translation updates, and fixes for recent and long-standing issues. Most of these items are listed in the full changelog. If that seems too overwhelming, you might be glad to know we also provide an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant to the average player.

Do not be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then! Development versions are not the best for those in need of a stable gaming experience, who should stick to the current stable 1.12.x series instead. However, if you want to help us test what will eventually become the next stable 1.14.x series, you definitely should check out this release and report to us any problems you find so they can be fixed in a timely fashion. Content authors are also especially encouraged to port and test their content under new development versions to detect any problems with their add-ons or Wesnoth in advance.

Downloads
Source code (407.2 MB)
SHA256 sum: cbb20adc36b238c39651f90006913451339928fae1d96450471a0e9583972fd2
Packages for Microsoft Windows and macOS are available:
Windows installer package (369.6 MB)
SHA256 sum: 1468cf8dbea8c65e324c864f5e4d89f3f112402daf35336045cc20a4bd79431b
macOS installer package (406.1MB)
SHA256 sum: 9b824e7a9d2eac45e9098ca4637a35d734d6c6a98a0f4bf2f00e96d64589b2de
All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.13.x is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other players running the latest development version.

The add-ons server for 1.13.x is already running. It was started for 1.13.0 and it serves all development releases from this series.
If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Samonella

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.7

Post by Samonella »

What I've seen is great, just a couple weird things:

When I first opened the game and started playing a game, I think the game wasn't getting my mouse-clicks. The main menu, story, and dialogue worked fine, but once I started the actual scenario I couldn't move or select units. The mini-map was also unresponsive, and hovering over units didn't even show their possible moves like it should. I tried a different campaign, and had the same problem, then tried the map editor, which was basically the same. But I restarted Wesnoth, and everything has been working fine since then. I'm on windows 8.1, in case that's important.

The new add-on gui is great! Just one little gripe: playing full-screen on a 1366x768 monitor, the gui is a little too wide and I have to use a scroll-bar to find the 'exit' button.

Also, the debugger is still painfully slow compared to the 1.12 one (for scenarios with lots events).
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Samonella wrote:The new add-on gui is great! Just one little gripe: playing full-screen on a 1366x768 monitor, the gui is a little too wide and I have to use a scroll-bar to find the 'exit' button.
This was discovered literally just before the announcement. It should be fixed in time for 1.13.8.
Samonella wrote:Also, the debugger is still painfully slow compared to the 1.12 one (for scenarios with lots events).
There was something recently (just after the release) which apparently improves the performance of GUI2 dialogs. Maybe it'll help for the inspector window.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

New campaign: Secrets of the Ancients
Finally somebody added content to the mainline! Bravo!
{FOREACH} macro is now deprecated (this was forgotten in previous announcement?)
Why? I have it used like 1000 times in my codes!
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I think it is because previous release broke some uses of FOREACH, so warning was needed.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Dugi wrote:
{FOREACH} macro is now deprecated (this was forgotten in previous announcement?)
Why? I have it used like 1000 times in my codes!
It's deprecated but continues to work... as long as you use it as it was intended. In other words, if you used {FOREACH} without {NEXT} or {NEXT} without {FOREACH}, that won't work anymore; but if you used the two together as they were intended, it will still work.

The reason it's deprecated is that there's now new WML tags for looping constructs - [repeat], [for], and [foreach]. FTR, the {FOREACH} macro is now implemented in terms of [for].
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Considering that no one knows how common the kind of usecases of FOREACH/NEXT (and also a different change to REPEAT) which might now be broken are, just to be sure I've now reverted those changes, making said three macros again work exactly as before.

Also, seeing how FOREACH is such a widely used and integral macro and there's no actual problem with it, it's unlikely to actually be removed (or even plastered with a player-visible deprecation notice) in the foreseeable future even though it's technically deprecated and thus virtually unused in mainline. It certainly makes sense to use the fancy new looping tags instead, but most authors probably have better uses for their time than converting all of their existing FOREACHes for no particular reason.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

It won't be removed in 1.14, for sure. It would likely be removed in 1.16 though.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Another reason that FOREACH was deprecated is that is uses unbalances macros (unlike for example {REPEAT} which was not deprecatd yet). Unbalanced macors are considered bad for multiple reasons, in partucular it makes code parsing/converting using proigramms unnecessarily harder.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

Hyped for 1.14 :mrgreen: . Also : I love the new interface for the add-ons!
UnwiseOwl

Wesnoth 1.13.7 Addons Manager Feedback

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Great to see 1.13.7 drop.

I particularly appreciate having a functioning Add-on Manager again. My heartfelt congratulations to those involved. I know the new addon manager is a WIP and that you're probably aware of most if not all of the issues that I bring up here, but just in case, here's my list of perceived issues with it.

Windows 10
Wesnoth 1.13.7
1366x768 Resolution

Issues:
  • Pressing Return quits the add-on manager. That's weird in combination with a search box, and should be deactivated
  • The filter Type option listbox defaults to 'Campaign' even though the default is actually 'All Types'.
  • On installing or deleting an add-on the options selected in the filter and search boxes are lost and users are presented with the full list again. Selections should remain in place.
  • If an add-on has installed dependencies, those dependencies are listed as: <span color='#00ff00'>{Dependency Name}</span.
  • Large shields in the description box are nice art but reduce the space for information, and should be reduced.
  • The various shields are somewhat confusing. Shields in the add-on list and the individual add-on description box should use the same graphics as each other and should have tool-tips explaining what they do rather than rely on user trial and error.
  • Selecting an add-on does not always resize the bottom section of the add-on description box, resulting in limited room for the actual description. For example, picking an add-on with many dependencies/translations like Bad Moon Rising and then one with few like A New Home does not resize the box. But picking Era of Chaos does (these examples were picked because they're close together when sorted by Downloads). I can't work out what triggers this behaviour.
  • Double-clicking on an add-on always installs it. Even if 'install' is not normally an option (as in the case of a Published add-on). Double clicking should repeat the action of the + shield (upload, in this case).
  • Installing Add-ons entry in the user Help manual needs to be updated. (I'm happy to do this as long as nobody asks me to do a pull request or anything, because such voodoo magic should be left to the professionals)
  • In the 'remove add-ons' manager, clicking on an add-on should tick the box for it (it doesn't do anything, currently)
It may just be my screen resolution, but only unpublished local add-ons (without upload or update dates) fit properly on the screen. It would be nice to condense the information a little in order to not require a horizontal scroll. Way this could be done include:
  • Decrease the width of the add-on list by decreasing the width of the version and downloads columns.
  • Don't dedicate a column in the description box to the campaign image. Have it appear next to the name/creator/version number entries but have the description and all other entries begin directly below it.
  • First Uploaded/Last Updated could be changed to Uploaded/Updated to save space.
Feature requests:
  • Would it be possible to be able to search by language (and/or dependencies)?
  • In the case of unpublished local add-ons, could the file size be sourced from the local machine? It would be nice to have prior to beginning an upload.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:The reason it's deprecated is that there's now new WML tags for looping constructs - [repeat], [for], and [foreach]. FTR, the {FOREACH} macro is now implemented in terms of [for].
Yes, but writing a [for] cycle is still longer in WML tags than with macros. No matter how specifically designed for this purpose, it will add at least two lines, doubling its invocation's length. WML's problem with massive line counts has been one of the main reasons to use macros.
DewyB

Post by DewyB »

This may be a noob question, but this is one way to learn.
The above post says the Windows download is (369.6 MB)
When I start the download, it says XX.XX/352MB XX minutes left

Is there a discrepancy here? The reason I ask, I have tried to download it twice, both packages were different sizes upon completion, and neither worked (would not even open).
I've had an issue with dropped packets before, but that is supposed to be resolved. Hasn't been an issue recently, but certainly seems to be an issue today.

**Edit:
Ok 3rd download completed at 352 meg, SHA-265 checks out, still won't open installer. I get a spinning circle as if the computer is considering my request, then nothing. No error, no dialog, nothing.

Win 10 if that makes any difference.
Tell me again, where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?
jyrkive
Inactive Developer

Post by jyrkive »

DewyB wrote:This may be a noob question, but this is one way to learn.
The above post says the Windows download is (369.6 MB)
When I start the download, it says XX.XX/352MB XX minutes left

Is there a discrepancy here? The reason I ask, I have tried to download it twice, both packages were different sizes upon completion, and neither worked (would not even open).
I've had an issue with dropped packets before, but that is supposed to be resolved. Hasn't been an issue recently, but certainly seems to be an issue today.
The thing is, there is disagreement about what "mega" means. It can mean either 1 000 000 (10^6) or 1 048 576 (2^20). We have listed package sizes using the smaller of the two, SI mega. Your browser instead uses the computing mega; with that unit, the Windows installer size is 352,48 MB. So, no, there isn't a size discrepancy.

A more reliable way to verify file integrity is with a dedicated integrity checker such as CHK. The correct SHA256 hashes of the files are in the OP.

Edit:
DewyB wrote: **Edit:
Ok 3rd download completed at 352 meg, SHA-265 checks out, still won't open installer. I get a spinning circle as if the computer is considering my request, then nothing. No error, no dialog, nothing.
Try rebooting the PC? Some issues are intermittent.
DewyB

Post by DewyB »

Will try a reboot.
Additional question, I decided to update malware detection and run it, I noticed Wesnoth 1.13.6 is being offered for download at Majorgeeks.com.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... snoth.html

Shouldn't we be offering the latest STABLE release (1.12.6) at a major site like that ? Or at least updating the Dev builds quickly?

Just a thought in passing.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Tell me again, where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?