Post by Zoomo »

Slowly progressing
heavyinfantry.gif
heavyinfantry.gif (8.63 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
ForestDragon

Re: New animations

Post by ForestDragon »

nice! :) keep it up!
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yeah that is very good! :D
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

Progress. I'm not sure what to do but something about the feet seem off somehow. If anyone has any tips that would be great.
heavyinfantry.gif
heavyinfantry.gif (10.76 KiB) Viewed 10060 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

i think his left leg is too stationary. the animation looks like the unit is rotating around his left leg for some reason :hmm:

EDIT: it might look differently in-game though...
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Smooth. But, some parts look smaller in the animated frames than in the base frame. The chest armor for example, and maybe the nearer leg, too.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

Hey, I haven't really worked on this again until today but I tried to fix the size issue. he still is shorter in the later half of the animation but that is due to the fact that his legs are bent. It's really messy but do the proportions look right now?
heavyinfantry.gif
heavyinfantry.gif (10.75 KiB) Viewed 9900 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

That looks really good, the only thing is a few frames when he is standing completely sideways look a little short :D
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:D That looks really nice - I think you might want to have that rear knee bend a lot more, and a good deal sooner - i.e. he should probably be pivoting onto the ball of his foot.

Broadly speaking, though, this looks great, and we really appreciate your efforts.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Made some shading for the elven fighter running animation. Mostly shield+feet because they are, aside from the sowrd, the biggest problem and I wanted to get them out of the way.
It dawned on me the new sprite hasn't got attack and defense animation yet (afaik). Also the running anim consists of 10 frames, which means originally a ne-animation was planned too (since there is no macro for a 10 frames se animation).
I'm not sure I could create a ne-running anim from scratch, so this whole thing might drag on for quite a while, if I even get to it.

sooo...
Are there already attack/defense animations for the "new" sprite or would they have to be created to (by me or maybe someone else, cause I would only do franken frames from the old animation)?
Are shield and feet shading ok or does something still look odd?
Attachments
fighterse.gif
fighterse.gif (8.36 KiB) Viewed 9798 times
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

I cant notice anything wrong with the shading of those areas as of right now.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I was wondering since many sprites are being redone and further animated has anyone plans to animate the merman? They seem to havd been sadly forgotten.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Finished the animation. I can see some issues with shoulders and breastplate, so if they are too dominant, I could try to fix them.
Attachments
fighter-run-se.gif
fighter-run-se.gif (9.58 KiB) Viewed 9529 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

It's fantastic! Thank you much for doing this!
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
PoignardAzur

Post by PoignardAzur »

Zoomo wrote:Hey, I haven't really worked on this again until today but I tried to fix the size issue. he still is shorter in the later half of the animation but that is due to the fact that his legs are bent. It's really messy but do the proportions look right now?
heavyinfantry.gif
The proportions look good to me, but the movement feels wrong.

The movement starts slow, then gains speed towards the end. That would make sense for a horizontal strike, or a strike "from above", because your arms are working against the mace's momentum at first, then with it. But here, I'd expect the strike to be very fast at first, as the infantryman's arm works with gravity, then lose a bit of speed as has to make an effort to guide it upward (or let its momentum carry it forward). I think that would feel more natural, but a lot less "violent" or "impactful".

I think it would be a good idea to spend a few more frames on the beginning of the movement, as the infantryman is raising his mace and preparing to strike, and less frames on the whole arc. Like in tennis, when you see the tennisman slowly prepare their movement, but transition very fast from a slow movement to maximum speed.