Let's Play After the Storm

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Developers, Forum Moderators

Re: Let's Play After the Storm

Postby ForestDragon » March 2nd, 2017, 10:24 am

I have to say, in this scenario, your humour was the best in the entire LP so far :)
ForestDragon

Postby Inky » March 15th, 2017, 8:26 am

I will try to update this more often, otherwise we are going to have "Wesnoth 2.0" before I ever finish this campaign :whistle:

ForestDragon wrote:I have to say, in this scenario, your humour was the best in the entire LP so far

Thanks! I guess, because there wasn't much strategy to talk about, and it's not really possible to make a strategy discussion funny :P
I think maybe there is too much detailed strategy discussion in these, because personally I'm really interested in all the little details of Wesnoth strategy (hex management, XP management, luck management etc.) but most people wouldn't be, so I will try to keep the strategy discussions shorter and more general :)

E1 S8 – Fear
Cutscene (Resolutions)
Even though Uria’s forces no longer have a direct passageway between our world and theirs, as long as there are summoners on this side and Uria’s demon lords on the other, she will continue to hold our home in her grasp. But perhaps there is a way to weaken the Chaos Empire further. If killing the Chaos Emperor did not suffice, it might be because his direct subordinates still exist: the Iron Triad.

But before we can even attempt to deal with them, we’ll need to deal with another problem. According to Mal Keshar—by means of that accursed journal—Argan abandoned Zocthanol Isle after Yechnagoth was vanquished, but not before recovering the creature’s heart. Although her soul was effectively destroyed along with her provisional body, her source of power—her heart—wasn’t directly connected to it, and Argan apparently ordered his minions to preserve it beneath the ruined plains of Wesmere. I presume that the biomechanical creatures we found in the caves there might be guarding it.

Oh great, Yechnagoth’s not really dead, and her source of power is being preserved under Wesmere, and it’s guarded by drones too! As if we didn’t have enough problems already…

Oh hey we get some free loyal units! I love free stuff.

Ugh wait a minute, looks like it was a package deal with that useless archer we now have to babysit.

Not everything went according to our plans.

A storm caught us by surprise and drove us off course. The ship barely withstood long enough to take us ashore, just in time to be greeted by the setting suns and a thick fog enveloping all. Stranded on an unknown land, we found ourselves before a foreboding forest at dusk.

Turn 3, The Long Dark (2)

We start heading north for a couple turns…
Alright, 3 guesses what “that thing” is…

:cry: Just seeing one of these is enough to inspire dread, as there is never just one....

Turn 4, The Long Dark (3)

I start recalling the loyal elves that just joined – there’s an archer, a shaman (a second healer!) and a fighter.

Turn 6, First Dawn

I also recruited some assorted veterans last turn. The chaos empire has kindly greeted us by sending some free experience our way.

The first chaos cavalier helps our dark sorcerer level into a necromancer.
I start recruiting a bunch of level 1 spam – quantity is definitely better than quality in this scenario. (Skeletal undead are bad here because they’re weak to the drones’ impact damage, so the orcs now get the job of being cannon fodder. Lucky them!)

Turn 7, First Morning

In the north… well, let’s not talk about it right now…

In the south a cavalier got ambushed by Elynia, so now he’s stuck in the 20% defense swamp.

Whack! Our loyal shaman is halfway toward leveling now!

Mal Keshar blasts a drone from the northern village because he can do whatever he wants.

Everyone else forms a line, and I start spamming sprites. The lawful sprites are actually great in this scenario because the long dark just ended and much of the battle will take place during daytime, and their magical attack can hit those annoying 50% defense flying drones.

Turn 8, First Midday

Augh it’s the drone apocalypse!!

The drones understandably wanted nothing to do with Mal Keshar, but a few of them have come to attack some tasty orcs, so we’ll clear them out first.

I have about a zillion sprites so they get to work frying drones.

We form a line and invite the drones to come and attack.

Turn 9, First Afternoon

The drones come to attack again, but too bad for them- it’s still day, and I still have a zillion sprites.

The sprites start frying drones, and Dela the shaman even whacks one to death with her staff.

Every sprite fries something – they’re really earning their pay!

And we’ve successfully cleared out all the nearby drones! Only 387482 left to go…

The northwest village looks very unsafe, so I just put an expendable ghost there.

Turn 10, First Dusk

Another group of drones attacks, but it’s an easy job for our sprites which are now drone removal experts.

We start clearing them out, and one of the sprites even levels from killing a level 2 drone.

The rest of the drones are easily taken care of. I think we’re finally seeing the end of them!

…aaand in the west there’s a massive army of chaos empire units heading our way. It’s just one thing after another!

We’ve gotten very lucky so far. Though, I was actually hoping for some of the sprites to die so I wouldn’t have to pay their upkeep anymore, as my income is quite negative.

Turn 11, The Short Dark

The two drones managed to kill a sprite but Dela gets revenge and whacks one to death with her staff. Now we have another +8 healer!

And just when we thought our trouble with drones was over (it never is…), it turns out there are level 2 drones lurking around in the north.

The other units stay back to wait for the chaos army to approach, and Mal Keshar hopes that someone is dumb enough to attack him.

Turn 12, Second Dawn

In the north, we’ve got two sentry drones to take care of. The wraith kills one and levels (after the stupid druid missed 3 times).

And the other spectres make quick work of the other.

Meanwhile in the south, the chaos empire units seem to having some kind of beach party in the south, and amazingly one of them was actually dumb enough to attack Mal Keshar last turn.

Our units head south to join in on the beach party, and we also fry that invader in the forest.

Turn 13, Second Morning

The other group of chaos empire units has decided to go sightseeing in the northern mountains instead.

We just pick off the nearby enemies, and use the fodder grunt to help block the rest.

In the south, Elynia and Mal Keshar are here, so these poor chaos empire guys never had a chance.

They pretty much die instantly, and the invader even gets turned into a corpse by the necromancer.

Turn 14, Second Midday

I hate how these sentry drones just come out of nowhere!! I probably should have brought a bat to scout.

We kill the sentry drone, and –
THERE IS A LEVEL 3 DRONE :augh:

Turn 15, Second Afternoon

We start cautiously advancing north towards the war drone. The loyal fighter advances to a captain for leadership, because we sure weren’t getting any leadership from Galas.

I try using some bait to lure it out, but it seems the war drone was too smart for that.

Meanwhile, our small group of heroes in the south advances toward the other enemy leader.

Turn 16, Second Dusk

We keep heading north… and there was another sentry drone hiding in the back. I try use the orcish archer as bait.

Turn 17, The Long Dark (1)

The archer predictably died, but I can’t honestly say that I miss him too much. I’m not sure he did anything this scenario.

The adept gets the kill on the sentry drone and we keep heading north. Almost there!

Meanwhile our heroes in the west try to approach without getting in range of the chaos magus.

Turn 18, The Long Dark (2)

Argh! Turns out the war drone will come out to attack a bat, so I accidentally lured it all the way northwest.

Fortunately the spectres will be able to reach, if we get rid of the nearby units first.

The war drone may be OP, but it’s not as OP as spectres and nightgaunts during the night. The two spectres soften up the drone, and the nightgaunt finishes it off with backstab.

Meanwhile in the south… aghhh what happened to Elynia?! I thought she was supposed to have 70% defense in the forest!

Well, at least we’ve successfully lured out all these units so we can slaughter them easily now.

Elynia runs off to heal and I attempt to use the corpse as bait.

Turn 19, The Long Dark (3)

Our entire army marches on the remaining leader. The poor guy didn’t even have cash to recruit anything last turn.

Turn 20, The Long Dark (4)

I have several units in range of the leader so I try to kill him this turn, starting with the necromancer who has good resistance to arcane.

And… bye bye!

…or not. Mal Keshar seems to having a very bad day. We still have a fire faerie and ghost in range though.

Victory! Now let’s go and –

Um, looks like we can’t find Galas. Whatever, let’s just leave.

Okay, now that’s a problem. Guess we have to go find them after all…

Advancements: dark sorceror, 2 fire faeries, necromancer, captain, druid, spectre
Losses: just cannon fodder (2 sprites, orcish grunt, orcish archer, bat, walking corpse)
Restarts: 1 restart due to Kyara dying to the drone horde. At 48 HP she’s even worse than Galas…

Attachments
AtS-1-Fear_replay.gz
(71.33 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Commented playthroughs with screenshots:
Let's Play Dead Water, Let's Play Invasion from the Unknown and Let's Play After the Storm (in progress)
Inky

Postby ForestDragon » March 15th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Your commentary improved now indeed :)

btw, looks like the chaos empire has learned their lesson after roughly 999.9 fails: DO NOT ATTACK MAL-KESHAR! go to a beach party, or something, because even that is much more useful.

btw, i played AtS before, and it's kind of difficult for me not to give you spoilers.
ForestDragon

Postby ForestDragon » March 16th, 2017, 5:41 am

named unit requests:
cannon fodder names: 'Delicious!' 'Yum-yum!' 'Come at me!' 'Wait, what?!' 'Why did i sign up for this?' 'Help!'
ForestDragon

Postby MerlinCross » March 16th, 2017, 8:09 am

ForestDragon wrote:named unit requests:
cannon fodder names: 'Delicious!' 'Yum-yum!' 'Come at me!' 'Wait, what?!' 'Why did i sign up for this?' 'Help!'

Those are all good but if I may make a suggestion as well; and it's the first thing that came to mind. 'Redshirt'.

I mean they're gonna be color coated red anyway, it works so well!
MerlinCross

Postby ForestDragon » March 16th, 2017, 2:06 pm

MerlinCross wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:named unit requests:

Those are all good but if I may make a suggestion as well; and it's the first thing that came to mind. 'Redshirt'.

I mean they're gonna be color coated red anyway, it works so well!

Genious! :D
ForestDragon

Postby Aeryllos » March 18th, 2017, 12:37 am

Inky wrote:Image
Whoa! As awesome as Mal Keshar is, I’m starting to fear for his safety…

Pretty sure at this point Malin could curbstomp Elynia, I wouldn't worry too much :D

IftU + ATS ending spoilers
Spoiler:
Aeryllos

Postby daud2001 » March 22nd, 2017, 12:20 pm

Inky wrote:
E1 S5 – Bay of Tirigaz
Hey, haven’t you heard of what happened in Dead Water? A whole army of undead got wiped out by a cuttlefish! Okay, some mermen may have helped a little.

That reminds me of Inky's Quest.

Loved the LP by the way.
A fan and a player since kindergarten.
daud2001

Previous

Return to Strategies & Tips