[engine] Ability to counter the [hides] ability: [reveal]

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

[engine] Ability to counter the [hides] ability: [reveal]

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

I've been thinking of a way of creating an ability that could negate the enemy's ambusher units, but as I found, none exists currently.
The point would be to have the possibility to create units that can reveal hidden enemy units within their view-range. (within their vision costs.)

Currently on maps with friendly terrain, ambushers can hide for a very long time, and can only be spotted by attacking them. By having balanced spotters, stealthy scenarios in user-made campaigns could evolve to a newer level, and I think this would open up for more possibilities with game mechanics, while keeping to the KISS principle.

The ability type to enable this could be:

Code: Select all

[abilities]
[reveals]
id=reveals
name = reveals or spots, or eagle eyed, or any fancy name 
affect_enemy= default behaviour
affect_allies= don't know if it this would make any sense..."traitor" ability, maybe, revealing allied troops to the enemy?
# extra keys:
radius = the vision range of the unit by default, but it could be set to any value
alert = translatable string printed on the screen, something like "enemy spotted" by default
[/reveals]
[/abilities]
There is no need to start an arms race & coldwar about then having superhides which 'reveal' does not spot, then having ultra-reveal....
Units with [reveal] spot every enemy. The end.

Opinions?
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: [engine] Ability to counter the [hides] ability: [reveal

Post by beetlenaut »

WhiteWolf wrote:There is no need to start an arms race
But that's what this is already because units with ambush hide from every enemy. The end. It's also frequently proposed idea #29, and the answer to FPIs is already "no". So yeah, if you want to debate this, go ahead, but keep in mind that it won't happen in mainline.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

For all intents and purposes you can do it already, even if it's a bit complicated. Instead of giving the revealer unit an ability, you need to change the hides abilities of every unit to filter for the proximity of a revealer unit.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Would it work to change the status of hidden units to 'revealed=yes' under appropriate conditions? Does it have the desired effect?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

skeptical_troll wrote:Would it work to change the status of hidden units to 'revealed=yes' under appropriate conditions? Does it have the desired effect?
Using the enter_hex event... maybe. Depends on how the uncovered status works exactly.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

WhiteWolf wrote:By having balanced spotters, stealthy scenarios in user-made campaigns...
I thought this would finalize that we're talking about add-ons, not mainline :) It wouldn't make that much sense in mainline, I think spotter's uses would be very hardly limited in multiplayer skirmishes or regular campaigns.

I thought about tweaking the hides ability with a filter, that if a spotter is around, then it goes inactive. But this would be very complicated and bug-prone.
However, setting the enemy's uncovered status to yes seems like a good idea. I'll experiment around with it.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I made a counter for hide, by just summoning a unit next to it the units with that ability.
One could kill the unit's after that. But this is more an option for rpgs or campaigns, not mainline.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer