New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Flameslash

Re: New animations

Post by Flameslash »

iceiceice wrote:I think the tentacle of the deep is inherently fantastical -- like, it's not really an animal, just a malevolent force of magic, or an animal that was changed by malevolent magic. There must be some dark sorcerer somewhere who is lord of the tentacles.
Wasn't there a character along those lines in Dead Water?
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Flameslash wrote:
iceiceice wrote:I think the tentacle of the deep is inherently fantastical -- like, it's not really an animal, just a malevolent force of magic, or an animal that was changed by malevolent magic. There must be some dark sorcerer somewhere who is lord of the tentacles.
Wasn't there a character along those lines in Dead Water?
Come on, everybody knows who is LORD OF TENTACLES
tent-1458319187158_large.jpg
...and for some reason he has suckers :whistle:
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Wonderful image, but where is it from? Is there a Pokemon Era or something like that in the works?
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

iceiceice wrote:I mean it could be like a boa or something. Like it smacks the prey, then it pulls into water and constricts it. Doesn't need suckers for that. I would still classify that as "impact" damage :)

Another question is, if it is anatomically correct, then the body that the tentacle is attached must be very heavy, or very firmly attached to the surface underwater. Presumably it has other tentacles as well? Why do we only ever see the one?

I think the tentacle of the deep is inherently fantastical -- like, it's not really an animal, just a malevolent force of magic, or an animal that was changed by malevolent magic. There must be some dark sorcerer somewhere who is lord of the tentacles.
...see the only place I remember it being used was alongside a Cuttle Fish and so I always interpreted it as just a big monster attacking from multiple angles or something.

Also! Do you think this should have team color on it somehow? I know that rarely applies to these units, but I'm of the opinion that every unit should have some kind of team color feature regardless. I think it'd make sense if it were at the tip of the tentacle, but hm.
Last edited by Gyra_Solune on September 12th, 2016, 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

tr0ll wrote:Wonderful image, but where is it from? Is there a Pokemon Era or something like that in the works?
It is from Day of the Tentacle, a master piece in computer games :eng:
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
SkyRZ5

Post by SkyRZ5 »

So i made this not long ago, well. Guys what do you think? if you don't like it then its okay.
Made this when i feel bored lel :mrgreen:

It's a cool concept, but the boots still look cut off by an invisible robe--you'd have to fill them in if they're the only remains
Attachments
Great mage die animation
Great mage die animation
Great_mage_die_sequence.gif (4.78 KiB) Viewed 10727 times
What should i write down here? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sky Sprite Art Thread!
Sky Story Art Thread!
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Gyra_Solune wrote:I'm of the opinion that every unit should have some kind of team color feature regardless.
I agree. I've seen the tentacles lurk on a couple of maps, so it makes sense to me to give that feature to every unit, regardless of their immediate purpose.
I have a cunning plan.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

SkyRZ5 wrote:So i made this not long ago, well. Guys what do you think? if you don't like it then its okay.
Made this when i feel bored lel :mrgreen:

It's a cool concept, but the boots still look cut off by an invisible robe--you'd have to fill them in if they're the only remains
Yeah i agree, besides the boots i think you have done a really good job! you might be able to fix the boots if you make them move slightly in the animation!
SkyRZ5

Post by SkyRZ5 »

Yeah i agree, besides the boots i think you have done a really good job! you might be able to fix the boots if you make them move slightly in the animation!
Thanks, i will fix it if i had a free time
What should i write down here? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sky Sprite Art Thread!
Sky Story Art Thread!
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

Hey I was thinking about maybe making a new heavy infantryman attack animation. I blocked one out today. Would this work to work forward with or should I change things about it. thanks!
heavyinfantry.gif
heavyinfantry.gif (5.88 KiB) Viewed 9726 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

This could be good :D but if you do make a HI animation make sure you animate the new heavy infantry from 1.13.6. The heavy infantryman in 1.12 has been replaced so it would not be as good to animate it.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Zoomo wrote:Hey I was thinking about maybe making a new heavy infantryman attack animation.
The swing seems to be very low, like aiming for the legs; I'm not sure that would be the standard attack.
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The swing seems fine to me, he's simply making an upwards diagonal swing (or perhaps a horizontal one) instead of a downwards one.
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

@The_Gnat
Yup, don't worry the updated sprite was part of the reason I decided on the HI

and yeah the intention was a underhanded swing. Since it's a big heavy mace I thought that would work well. If this is fine I'll start actually making it look like the HI then!
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Zoomo wrote:and yeah the intention was a underhanded swing. Since it's a big heavy mace I thought that would work well.
Ok, sorry for interrupting. ;)
I have a cunning plan.