Wesnoth 1.13.6

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Gnat

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.6

Post by The_Gnat »

Ravana has mentioned to me that he has attempted to have a lower AMLA xp and that it was unbalanced. With this said i still think it would be a good idea to reduce the AMLA xp slightly, even if not as much as i mentioned previously. Also as you will notice i have only suggested xp changes on some units, many lvl 2 units (like the lancer) should not have their xp reduced. However the ogre is a prime example of a unit who's xp should definitely be reduced.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

2) using a comma separated list for team_name doesn't seem to work like it should
Can you give more detail? Is this in mp/sp or both? what exactly doesnt work like it should?
4) the big warnings about using debug mode commands are a good feature I guess, but they sure get annoying. Is there a way to turn them off, or at least turn down their duration?
These warning were added to notify other players when a debug command was used in multiplayer or when watching a replay. I see no reason against not showing them for the player who issues them, but note that a '!is_mp' is not sufficient because these shodul also be sown in replays. That said, i persoannaly didn't get annoyed by them yet.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gfgtdf wrote:These warning were added to notify other players when a debug command was used in multiplayer or when watching a replay. I see no reason against not showing them for the player who issues them, but note that a '!is_mp' is not sufficient because these shodul also be sown in replays. That said, i persoannaly didn't get annoyed by them yet.
Would it be easier to at least get them out of SP? I find them fairly annoying and 100% useless in debugging SP.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

hmm disableing them in sp is the wrong way, that's what i meant by
but note that a '!is_mp' is not sufficient because these shodul also be shown in replays
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

gfgtdf wrote:
2) using a comma separated list for team_name doesn't seem to work like it should
Can you give more detail? Is this in mp/sp or both? what exactly doesnt work like it should?
Yes, sorry. I was a bit cryptic.
I haven't played around with it much. All I know is that in my SP campaign, the player's side has team_name=raplice and another side has team_name=raplice,animals, but they aren't allies in the first scenario of the campaign. I was double checking just now, and noticed that strangely, these exact same lines do make the teams allied in the second scenario (neither team is persistent; the second scenario makes two fresh teams from scratch, but uses those same two lines).

Another thing I've noticed is the new ;inspect window. It looks really nice, but is really, really slow compared to the 1.12 one. I do have quite a few events and variables, but it's the same number as I had in 1.12.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Samonella wrote: I haven't played around with it much. All I know is that in my SP campaign, the player's side has team_name=raplice and another side has team_name=raplice,animals, but they aren't allies in the first scenario of the campaign. I was double checking just now, and noticed that strangely, these exact same lines do make the teams allied in the second scenario (neither team is persistent; the second scenario makes two fresh teams from scratch, but uses those same two lines).
Hmm maybe the team_name= is somehow changed during side setup, could you please check (for example with :inspect) whether during tzhe first scenario the team_name attribute is still the same as you specified in the scenario wml?
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

gfgtdf wrote: Hmm maybe the team_name= is somehow changed during side setup, could you please check (for example with :inspect) whether during tzhe first scenario the team_name attribute is still the same as you specified in the scenario wml?
Ok, now I'm absolutely floored. So in the second scenario, where the teams are working like expected, the team_names are unchanged from how I wrote the code, like they should be.

In the first scenario, they have changed:
side 1's is now team_name="Team 1"
side 2's is team_name="Team 2"
team 3's (which was originally team_name=animals) is team_name="Team 3"
This got me curious, so I changed the code; now side 2 has team_name=raplice, identical to side 1. In game, the team names are now:
side 1 is team_name="Team 1"
side 2 is also team_name="Team 1"
and side 3 is team_name="Team 2"
I ran a search for [modify_side] through the campaign's entire directory, and the only 4 that exist are definitely unrelated.

EDIT: I'll add that the only change I made to the side's definition when porting from 1.12 was changing share_map and share_view to share_vision. The sides were working properly in 1.12, and they don't work in 1.13 (even without changing those lines)
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

You say this happens in your sp campaign, by that i assume that you start your campaign using the enormal sp campaign dialog right? (since the local mp campaign dialog can afaik also start sp campaigns in debug mode)

coudl you pease try to test adding

Code: Select all

[options]
[checkbox]
    id = hi
    name = hi
    description = hi
[/checkbox]
[/options]

to you [campaign] and see whetehr that fixed your firts scenario? (there migth be an additional dialog appearing when starting a campaign just click though it)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

gfgtdf wrote:You say this happens in your sp campaign, by that i assume that you start your campaign using the enormal sp campaign dialog right? (since the local mp campaign dialog can afaik also start sp campaigns in debug mode)
You assumed correct, I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary to start the campaign.
gfgtdf wrote:coudl you pease try to test adding

[options]
[checkbox]
    id = hi
    name = hi
    description = hi
[/checkbox]
[/options]

to you [campaign] and see whetehr that fixed your firts scenario? (there migth be an additional dialog appearing when starting a campaign just click though it)
Maybe I'm not putting it in the right spot, but i'm not getting an extra dialogue box, and the sides are unchanged. Is this the right place?

[campaign]
    id=Vengeance_of_a_Drake
    rank=519
    icon="units/drakes/burner.png"
    name= _ "Vengeance of a Drake: an RPG"
    abbrev= _ "VoaDaR"
    define=CAMPAIGN_VENGEANCE_OF_A_DRAKE
    first_scenario=1_Tutorial

description= _ "Under Development. Do not play."

image="data/images/units/drakes/burner.png"
	[options]
		[checkbox]
			id = hi
			name = hi
			description = hi
		[/checkbox]
	[/options]

# Credits:
	{~add-ons/Vengeance_of_a_Drake/about.cfg}

[/campaign]
EDIT: Should I just zip the whole thing and post it?

gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Samonella wrote: Maybe I'm not putting it in the right spot, but i'm not getting an extra dialogue box, and the sides are unchanged. Is this the right place?
Hmm no, your code is correct but it seems like there is another bug in wesnoth that [options] are not recognized there.

Ok pout the new code

[modification]
	id = hi
	name = hi
	type = sp
   [options]
      [checkbox]
         id = hi
         name = hi
         description = hi
      [/checkbox]
   [/options]
[/modification]

at toplevel e.g outside campaign and outside any #ifdefs

There wil appear a checkbox at the bottom of the campoaign list check that checkbox and then start yourt campaign.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

One more thing I just stumbled across, if it makes any difference. The first scenario has an option to re-play instead of advancing to scenario 2. When I took that option, making the scenario load again, the teams were correct.

Samonella

Post by Samonella »

gfgtdf wrote:Ok pout the new code
at toplevel e.g outside campaign and outside any #ifdefs

There wil appear a checkbox at the bottom of the campoaign list check that checkbox and then start yourt campaign.
Got the check box, an extra dialogue when starting the campaign, and it looks like the teams are correct now!

gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Ok thx for testing, i think this proves my theory on what caused the bug.

If you want to work around this issue to fix your campaogn foir 1.13.6 i recocomend just to add a dummy first scenario that contains nothing but a prestart event that advances to the real first scenario.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

gfgtdf wrote:Ok thx for testing, i think this proves my theory on what caused the bug.

If you want to work around this issue to fix your campaogn foir 1.13.6 i recocomend just to add a dummy first scenario that contains nothing but a prestart event that advances to the real first scenario.
Sounds good, thanks for your time and work!

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

The_Gnat wrote:consider changing the xp of level 2 units that have reached maximum level.
We already did that, and not that long ago either. AMLAs are supposed to be difficult to reach, and originally, they were all set at 150. The reason they were eventually changed to the level x 50 was more to make the XP bars a reasonable length than to change the balance. They are still supposed to be more difficult to reach than an ordinary level up.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide