Android 1.12 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
Yomar
Posts: 244
Joined: October 27th, 2011, 5:14 am
Contact:

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by Yomar » December 19th, 2016, 8:15 pm

I know, but in varius circumstances I have to drag the pointer to select some in game writed options, on Windows I just touch the desired option to select with no pointer, but on Android devices I need to fine drag on the right writing and touch the screen again, very annoying.
The rest is perfect.

alep
Android Port Maintainer
Posts: 135
Joined: June 24th, 2013, 6:22 am

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by alep » December 20th, 2016, 7:39 am

Yomar wrote: I know, but in varius circumstances I have to drag the pointer to select some in game writed options, on Windows I just touch the desired option to select with no pointer, but on Android devices I need to fine drag on the right writing and touch the screen again, very annoying.
Actually, no. Have you actually tried what I told you? If you enable "pointer follows finger" mode you can just tap on the element (button, hex, etc...) you want to click on. No need to drag to move the cursor.
Also you can switch "on the fly" between mouse emulation modes by tapping and holding three fingers simultaneously on the screen.

Yomar
Posts: 244
Joined: October 27th, 2011, 5:14 am
Contact:

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by Yomar » December 21st, 2016, 1:10 am

alep wrote:
Yomar wrote: I know, but in varius circumstances I have to drag the pointer to select some in game writed options, on Windows I just touch the desired option to select with no pointer, but on Android devices I need to fine drag on the right writing and touch the screen again, very annoying.
Actually, no. Have you actually tried what I told you? If you enable "pointer follows finger" mode you can just tap on the element (button, hex, etc...) you want to click on. No need to drag to move the cursor.
Also you can switch "on the fly" between mouse emulation modes by tapping and holding three fingers simultaneously on the screen.
Yess I did.
It works for moving the units for example, but not if I tap on end turn, quit button, and when I have to choose the recruit writing in the pull down menu, there I have to drag to manage to select the right option and then tap otherwise it taps on the wrong one, on end turn and quit it just don't takes the tab if I don't drag first the pointer on them.

alep
Android Port Maintainer
Posts: 135
Joined: June 24th, 2013, 6:22 am

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by alep » December 22nd, 2016, 7:41 am

Yomar wrote:It works for moving the units for example, but not if I tap on end turn, quit button, and when I have to choose the recruit writing in the pull down menu, there I have to drag to manage to select the right option and then tap otherwise it taps on the wrong one, on end turn and quit it just don't takes the tab if I don't drag first the pointer on them.
So, your problem is not how mouse emulation mode works, but that controls (buttons, menu items, etc...) are so small that tapping on them is not easy.
Since making a major UI change (and maintaining it thorugh upgrades!!) is something I can't do, the best thing you can do is try to lower game resolution: in the port menu (the one opened from the "Change configuration" button) you can set a custom screen resolution... lowering those values will result in larger controls.

Yomar
Posts: 244
Joined: October 27th, 2011, 5:14 am
Contact:

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by Yomar » December 22nd, 2016, 5:18 pm

alep wrote:
Yomar wrote:It works for moving the units for example, but not if I tap on end turn, quit button, and when I have to choose the recruit writing in the pull down menu, there I have to drag to manage to select the right option and then tap otherwise it taps on the wrong one, on end turn and quit it just don't takes the tab if I don't drag first the pointer on them.
So, your problem is not how mouse emulation mode works, but that controls (buttons, menu items, etc...) are so small that tapping on them is not easy.
Since making a major UI change (and maintaining it thorugh upgrades!!) is something I can't do, the best thing you can do is try to lower game resolution: in the port menu (the one opened from the "Change configuration" button) you can set a custom screen resolution... lowering those values will result in larger controls.
Actually in certain areas it does even not move, if I don't drag it on the writing, I mean I tab, but it stays there.

On the other side maybe you are right, because the biggest Android screen that I played on was a 7 Inch device with a resolution of 1024X600.

highquality
Posts: 22
Joined: June 19th, 2015, 9:59 am

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by highquality » January 15th, 2017, 11:04 am

Hi everyone.If you go on playstore and search up wesnoth, your port wont be the only one there anymore.So, there is Allesandro Pira's port which is totally free.Everybody has been using it for as long as its been there.But now some guy called Androth Softworks has put a "free" version if this port (50k downloads) and the "full" version for 4.39 $ (10k downloads).I don't know if he's a staff member or a dev of the game, but it seems pretty unlogical to first put a proper port of the game for free to everyone, and then later put another port for money.And 10000 people actually downloaded the paid 4.39$ version.I don't know if he's a staff member or not, the reason I'm posting this is because he might just be a random guy wanting to earn some easy money off of someone's hard work.Please look into this.

Trayanee
Posts: 33
Joined: January 29th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by Trayanee » June 26th, 2017, 9:56 am

Hello, your port is working well for me, but I have performance issues due to my tablet's poor hardware and as it seems to me that current 1.13x RC iteration is loading much faster on PC I wondered whether you plan to port 1.14 to Android too once it is released?

pangy
Posts: 1
Joined: July 5th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by pangy » July 5th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Hi, thanks for creating the port. How do I play my PC campaign saved games on my Android phone now?

alep
Android Port Maintainer
Posts: 135
Joined: June 24th, 2013, 6:22 am

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by alep » July 10th, 2017, 6:09 am

Trayanee wrote:Hello, your port is working well for me, but I have performance issues due to my tablet's poor hardware and as it seems to me that current 1.13x RC iteration is loading much faster on PC I wondered whether you plan to port 1.14 to Android too once it is released?
Hello.
I'm planning to port 1.14, but as a new app. The 1.12 app won't be upgraded anymore unless a new 1.12 official version is released, which is unlikely.
This way, it will be possible to install both 1.12 and 1.14 on the same device.

alep
Android Port Maintainer
Posts: 135
Joined: June 24th, 2013, 6:22 am

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by alep » July 10th, 2017, 6:12 am

pangy wrote:Hi, thanks for creating the port. How do I play my PC campaign saved games on my Android phone now?
If you tap on the "Change configuration" button which appears on startup and pick "Import/Export" you can import a zip of savegame files into your android BfW installation.
Hope this helps.

Lenael
Posts: 1
Joined: July 13th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by Lenael » July 13th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Hi Alessandro,
since I've upgraded my Asus Zenpad 3S 10 tablet to Android v7, Battle for Wesnoth v1.12 crash at startup when "Reading files & creating cache". I've tried to de-install, re-install but I still have the same issue.
Have you tested your port with Android v7 ?
I saw that you'll port v1.14 of Wesnoth, should I wait for it ??

Grazie,
Luc.
P.S.: I also sent an email to your support address.

alep
Android Port Maintainer
Posts: 135
Joined: June 24th, 2013, 6:22 am

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by alep » July 14th, 2017, 8:37 am

Lenael wrote:Hi Alessandro,
since I've upgraded my Asus Zenpad 3S 10 tablet to Android v7, Battle for Wesnoth v1.12 crash at startup when "Reading files & creating cache". I've tried to de-install, re-install but I still have the same issue.
Have you tested your port with Android v7 ?
I saw that you'll port v1.14 of Wesnoth, should I wait for it ??

Grazie,
Luc.
P.S.: I also sent an email to your support address.
Hello Luc. I already replied you by email. No, I still had no chance of testing the app on android 7.
If there is anyone else who has android 7... can you please report if you are experiencing the same issue?

User avatar
Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator
Posts: 3383
Joined: March 22nd, 2009, 10:50 pm
Location: Earth (occasionally)

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by Pentarctagon » July 14th, 2017, 8:43 am

Lenael wrote:Hi Alessandro,
since I've upgraded my Asus Zenpad 3S 10 tablet to Android v7, Battle for Wesnoth v1.12 crash at startup when "Reading files & creating cache". I've tried to de-install, re-install but I still have the same issue.
Have you tested your port with Android v7 ?
I saw that you'll port v1.14 of Wesnoth, should I wait for it ??

Grazie,
Luc.
P.S.: I also sent an email to your support address.
It's also worth mentioning that 1.14 may well be delayed until mid 2018, so you might be waiting awhile.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

alep
Android Port Maintainer
Posts: 135
Joined: June 24th, 2013, 6:22 am

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by alep » August 3rd, 2017, 11:31 am

Pentarctagon wrote:It's also worth mentioning that 1.14 may well be delayed until mid 2018, so you might be waiting awhile.
It looks like the issue related to Asus Zenpad 3S has been fixed with the latest Android OS release for that device.
However, I also produced a 1.13.8 (which is actually a 1.14 beta) APK which is now available on sourceforge (I won't publish 1.13 on Google Play).

You can find the APK (and sources) here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnot ... es/1.13.8/

Please feel free to try it up and notify me if you notice some problem.
Sadly, I had to drop support for older (non-armv7) CPUs. Sorry for that.

doomdan75
Posts: 1
Joined: August 5th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Android 1.12 support thread

Post by doomdan75 » August 5th, 2017, 10:16 am

Hi Alep,
I have a Samsung galaxy s6 running Android 7.0 and recently it's developed a problem, now whenever I try to access local play it tells me there's an "unterminated quoted string at <unknown>:5" and goes back to main menu.
I currently have version 1.12.6-45

Post Reply