Wesnoth MMO ideas ( part 1 )

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Dorsil

Wesnoth MMO ideas ( part 1 )

Post by Dorsil »

hi everyone ! I wonder if you have ever thought of creating an MMO? This game has a lot of potential to create one...

Well... many years ago that MMO's and I think I might point out some ideas if you like... I think a characteristic of all MMO is to have an inventory, where you can equip your character with different items, these items may be changing in quality, some examples:

common: These items are regularly and fall at any enemy that can kill (normal enemies)

Rare:These items can be obtained from the same enemies but with much less likely, these items are beginning to have statistics that add to our character (if a warrior, strength)

Very rare:These items are even rarer and can be obtained by killing enemies elite

Epic: Very difficult to get, they are obtained in dungeons or bands. Also killing elites of the world but the most difficult

Legendary: Extremely difficult to achieve, killing elites are not obtained or doing dungeons or bands. Are obtained by a long chain of missions which require many items of great power to create .... an example may be the scepter of fire. They range from rings, weapons or armor. Each item has its legendary history and is characterized by ancient artifacts of great power in the world of Wesnoth.

I explained the quality of the items, it's something that could expand more but I wanted to give something more general

INVENTORY... Visually it could be well .... (picture Diablo 3)

Sorry for my english ! :)
Last edited by Dorsil on August 31st, 2015, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dugi

Re: Wesnoth MMO ideas ( part 1 )

Post by Dugi »

A drag-and-drop inventory system is impossible with the current GUI implementation used in wesnoth. It is possible to create an inventory like in Skyrim, though.

We have experimented with making a MMORPG add-on for wesnoth. It has 7 character classes (multiclassing possible), 3 races (orc human elf), each class has 15 skills, each race has an additional one, there is inventory, shops, sprites showing gear (unanimated, though), several weapon types, there are normal, magic and unique items, spells, special attacks and summons. It is not inspired by Diablo 3 (it sucks), but I have taken a lot of inspiration from Diablo 2 and D&D. It is possible to export characters from the campaign and join someone else's campaign later (however, the only trick to prevent upgrading characters while not playing is obfuscation).

Its fundamental flaw is that there are very little scenarios. Like three or four. Not many. You reach level 4 and the incomplete campaign is over. The guy doing the scenarios is too busy and I don't make scenarios very RPG-ish. No replacement for him is at hand. You can join the project and replace him.
Dorsil

Post by Dorsil »

I apologize, that I did not know anything about programming or things related to game development. As I played some maybe you could do something similar.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Dorsil wrote:I apologize, that I did not know anything about programming or things related to game development. As I played some maybe you could do something similar.
Sorry, I don't understand. Are you using some translating software? Can you please reformulate it?
Dorsil

Post by Dorsil »

Dugi wrote:
Dorsil wrote:I apologize, that I did not know anything about programming or things related to game development. As I played some maybe you could do something similar.
Sorry, I don't understand. Are you using some translating software? Can you please reformulate it?
No, I apologize for my for my bad English. I have difficulty. I do not understand much about the technology used to develop Battle for Wesnoth
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Everybody starts with no knowledge. Do you think that I was born with an instinct to program wesnoth add-ons? It's not hard after all.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

I'm currently playing (and studying) another turn-based MMO - http://www.lsonline.ru/en/.
It is named MMO because of global chat and global (peaceful) map-lobby.
All gameplay takes place in special maps, which can be created in global map. Each combat map contains from 1 to 8 players. 1,2 and 4 is most common quantity.

I'm sure that we will need to implement something like Ladder to make Mmo.
Though I dont agree with Dugi's idea of gameplay. It will be hard to balance and scale it.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Dugi wrote:A drag-and-drop inventory system is impossible with the current GUI implementation used in wesnoth. It is possible to create an inventory like in Skyrim, though.

We have experimented with making a MMORPG add-on for wesnoth. It has 7 character classes (multiclassing possible), 3 races (orc human elf), each class has 15 skills, each race has an additional one, there is inventory, shops, sprites showing gear (unanimated, though), several weapon types, there are normal, magic and unique items, spells, special attacks and summons. It is not inspired by Diablo 3 (it sucks), but I have taken a lot of inspiration from Diablo 2 and D&D. It is possible to export characters from the campaign and join someone else's campaign later (however, the only trick to prevent upgrading characters while not playing is obfuscation).

Its fundamental flaw is that there are very little scenarios. Like three or four. Not many. You reach level 4 and the incomplete campaign is over. The guy doing the scenarios is too busy and I don't make scenarios very RPG-ish. No replacement for him is at hand. You can join the project and replace him.
How do you handle saving the character on the cloud and letting them interact with each other?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

How do you handle saving the character on the cloud
It's simple. We don't. There was no way to do that. It's stored on the user's computer, using PersistenceWML. The description is coded in an unobvious way, as a chain of numbers. Any cheater would have to locate and understand the code that uses it, which isn't trivial. There is pretty much no way to prevent players from cheating anyway, the player who creates the game can always use a slightly modified version that would grant him much more experience and items (though the code is written so that it would be very hard to do without producing OoS errors). This can be prevented only by a central authority or by large interaction of users, neither of which is available in Wesnoth.
and letting them interact with each other?
They interact with each other when they join a game together. Anyone can import his characters when starting a game and export them later.
highquality

Post by highquality »

You should check out Strange Legacy Trader add-on.Its an RPG add-on.And its complete.Its the best RPG add on I've seen.Way better than five fates.I highly recommend checking it out, many ideas can be taken from it.Such as classes (bard, treasure hunter, assassin, trader, etc.), skills (wildlife, lock picking, building, etc.), professions (worker, trader, bard, bounty hunter, etc.), stats (strength, constitution, etc.).Taverns, major cities that you can enter, villages, world events, dungeons, quests, guilds (trader, assassin, city guard, bounty hunter), hero menu, actions, spells, consumables.The add-on can be used as a basis for your mmo.You don't need to copy it, but I think your add-on could be heavily inspired from it.