The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

Version series 1.4.x now available for Wesnoth 1.16!

Short Summary
The Ravagers is a tale of pure revenge. A tale of justice served cold, told in a flashback-style point-of-view narrative, by a ranger in the Inn at Weldyn.
The campaign includes many new exciting gameplay features, hundreds of custom units, and many more.

Screenshots (with images from 1.1.0)
Impressions
it is all narrated from a cozy inn, with lot's to discover!
it is all narrated from a cozy inn, with lot's to discover!
need to boost a unit to escape? Have a drink! If the narrator gets drunk, he will boast more of your heroism, boosting your units!
need to boost a unit to escape? Have a drink! If the narrator gets drunk, he will boast more of your heroism, boosting your units!
enhanced graphics: units bleed when they are hit, heavily injured units leave behind trails of blood as they run for cover, and the corpses of the fallen are left behind for the crows
enhanced graphics: units bleed when they are hit, heavily injured units leave behind trails of blood as they run for cover, and the corpses of the fallen are left behind for the crows
The King's Battlecry - explore the past to save the future, says the saying
The King's Battlecry - explore the past to save the future, says the saying
it's even raining
it's even raining
Story Introduction
In days of yore I swore to slay all four of thee. To have no mercy once I found you, and to kill you the same way you had killed yons whom I loved. Three lives've been extinguished, thine is the last. Finally, lo your life throbbing at the end of my knife! My vow shall be fulfilled as the light in thy eyes goes out, when the last of the four murderers shall be slain...
These are the words of Dayton Blackwood, once the leader of the outlaw gang, The Ravagers. This tale will embark you on his journey of blood and sorrow, taking place entirely on the Farnorthern Continent, where orcish warchiefs rise and fall in chaos, brother betrays brother, and the forces of evil never sleep.
Take on the enemy while enjoying your drink in the pub, and witness the stories of the ranger.

Difficulty
The campaign has been balanced out for Intermediate level, with 4 difficulties, ranging from easy to the nightmarish legend.
While providing feedback, please include which difficulty you played on!

List of features
  • Enhanced visuals: Units bleed when damaged, skeletal undead may drop pieces of bones, the badly wounded units leave blood trails as they cower, and the corpses of the fallen are left on the battlefield
  • Enhanced sound effects: Your units have voiceover when they are selected, moved, or recruited. The heavy thudding of their boots and the splash they make in water will make your army as terrifying as it gets
  • Drinking: the more our narrator drinks, the fancier the story becomes! Need to boost a unit? Have a drink, get drunk, thus discover and unlock many epic mechanics! Just watch out not to imagine up some epic enemies as well!
  • Semi-openworld gameplay: Our narrator will take breaks from the main story which allows you to get lost in the busy life of a real tavern with tons of optional content. You can play bargames, solve riddles, accept side-missions ranging from a scenario to mini-campaigns, or you can even woo the tavern wenches...
  • Unique enemies: each Orcish Warchief you encounter will have special and characteristic traits and abilities that will make him look invincible, but will also have specific weaknesses that you can play around to bring them down.
  • Including 3 completely new race: Ravagers, Dark Elves, and Northern Barbarians with probably well over 100 custom units.
  • 25 battle scenarios, and two scenes (not counting Inn-scenes)
  • ... with many more mechanics and secrets to discover!
Translations
  • German (expired since 1.1.0) by Chewan
  • Hungarian (expired since 1.1.0) by me
Any translators are welcome! :)
If you would like to participate in translating work, but don't know how to, feel free to pm me, I'm glad to help!

Artwork
There is much artwork the campaign is in need of. As you can see, there is an artwork_needed.txt file attached with the campaign, read it, post here, or pm me for details.

Available versions
  • for Wesnoth 1.12.x: 1.0.19a. Last stable version, 1.12 is no longer supported.
  • for Wesnoth 1.14.x: 1.3.7 Last version, 1.14 is no longer supported
  • for Wesnoth 1.16.x: 1.4.2
Known issues:

Era of the Ravagers
The collection of units combined with some core units is also available as a multiplayer era, under the name "Era of the Ravagers". Since all units were, are, and will be balanced for the campaign's needs, it can get very unbalanced during multiplayer matches, therefore it's intended to be a just-for-fun, simple era.
Available version:
  • for Wesnoth 1.14.x: 1.3.1. In order to play the era, the latest version of the campaign must also be installed.
  • for Wesnoth 1.16.x: coming soon
Not available for Wesnoth 1.12.x

Feedback in this topic
I'm always open to all critiques. :) Any kind of feedback, be it bug-reports, suggestions, new ideas, all is very welcome.
While providing a bug-report please, pretty please include as much information as possible. This includes but is not limited to:
  • The version of the game you have. Check if it's the latest - your issue may have already been solved!
  • The difficulty you play on.
  • A picture is many times worth more than a thousand words!
  • A replay or a saved game can be very useful, and will spare a lot of guesswork.
  • Please let me know early if you used debug mode codes during gameplay. The issue may be the direct consequence of a misused debug command.

Also, while posting here, as a courtesy to your fellow players, please include storyline spoilers into a [ spoiler ]!

Note:
I really don't know how much I should emphasize this, but this campaign at various points does feature explicit violence, stronger language, and alcoholism, some of which may not be appropriate for children under 8-10.

Thank you for playing The Ravagers, I hope you liked it :)
Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Last edited by WhiteWolf on August 12th, 2020, 11:28 am, edited 97 times in total.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
The_Gnat

Re: The Ravagers - NEW SP campaign - [Feedback and developme

Post by The_Gnat »

This campaign sounds really interesting! I look forward to trying it! (how many scenarios does it have?)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Forgot about scenario number, added that as well, thanks :)
It has 25 battle scenarios, and two scenes.
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

It seems to require The Blind Sentinel to be installed:

Code: Select all

error config: Macro/file '~add-ons/The_Blind_Sentinel/utils/utils.cfg' is missing
at ~add-ons\\The_Ravagers\\units\\transport\\Catapult.cfg:3
    included from ~add-ons\\The_Ravagers\\_main.cfg:71
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Just passed the first combat scenario and i´m going into the second one right now, playing on normal difficulty. The story itself seems to be quite good so far and the style of narrative is quite unique and,must i say, entertaining. Since i can´t find flaws in the storyline and dialogues nor have i encountered any bugs so far, i´ll just ask some questions for now:

-> Is the campaign truly "balanced" for each type of leader? By reading their descriptions, the one that gives leadership and extra resistances seems to be the superior choice. Even if the ranger leader is better as a standalone unit, having leadership and a "steadfast aura" is too good to not use;

->Does the type of drinks consumed alter the storyline in some way or is that just a flavor theme of the campaign?

I´ll eventually continue to give feedback when i have played more scenarios ;)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

It's about revenge? My, my, that's my favourite word.... I will try it out...However, you did not specify which version of Wesnoth I need to use.... :hmm:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Uploaded version 1.0.3, fixing the dependence of Blind Sentinel, sorry for that.

I've also added the BFW version specification, it was written on 1.12.0 and play-tested on 1.12.6, so the whole 1.12.x branch is supported. Not tested on 1.13 series.

I've come to the conclusion, that the leader selection is really up to personal taste. On the two easier difficulties, the campaign can certainly be played without obstacles with both training types. :)
On the two harder difficulties, differences might arise, and the Captain might be superior, but that is mostly because of the design of the maps. Cave maps come in only later on, and you might need the op leadership and resistance ability in the beginning more than a stronger skirmisher stand-alone unit.
EDIT:
But you are right, the choice might seem trivial to players. I wanted to buff the Longbowman with another ability, after having it playtested around a little more, but I added it anyway. Just to make the choice a bit harder :D
The new ability is "eagle eye" for the bow: While used in offense, it always has at least 65% chance to hit, and has a 30% chance to deal 40% extra damage, by hitting a vital organ.

The drinks in the beginning do not influence storyline. How to put this: it's not the first tankard that makes you talk. Keep drinking, and you'll see the effects. When it comes in, there will be detailed descriptions showing which drink causes which effect. (And you can always drink water then...).
Changelog:
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

While playing the second scenario i noticed that i cannot undo the movements of any unit which seems strange, since all of the map is discovered at the beginning. I went to test this in another campaigns and it seems to work fine there.

EDIT:
->Would it also be possible to have an explanation of the effects of the "damage distribution mod" when trying to activate it?
-> A new type of unit can be recruited at the 3rd combat scenario with no apparent reason for it (at least that i noticed).
->Did you drawn inspiration of the terrify mechanic from the last game of the lord of the rings? Seems similar in concept and it seems promising :)
Spoiler:
->The scenario "The duel" states that only pillagers have a fire attack to terrify the enemy, but crossbowman also have it.
->The flashback scenario has the win condition of surviving the siege but also has the defeat condition of losing when the turns run out. The scenario is won when the turn limit ends anyway (as stated by the dialogue of it) but that defeat condition is not correct.
->The flashback scenario also has carryover gold to the next scenario. This doesn´t feel right, since a battle from hundreds of years ago is having an impact in today´s events.
->The dialogue during the scenario "Crossing River Bork" seems to indicate that killing one of the enemy leaders will lead to the discovery of the weakness of the other. However, it only takes clicking the 2nd enemy leader to see his weakness. Maybe hiding this and only making it available to him after killing the 1st enemy leader?
->The "assault commander" unit has no sprite.
->Cormac VI starts the scenario "The forbiden memory" with no movement points.
->The use of gold in "forbiden memory" and the previous scenario seems awkward. The gold from the previous scenario gets carried over to "forbiden memory", which takes palce in the past, and the carryover gold from that scenario gets carried again to the present. I was confused by this and it didn´t seem obvious that this would happen.
->The scenario that gives a reward (level 3 unit) upon defeating 2 orc leaders seemed to imply that there would be a choice of leveling it up to level 4 or, in alternative, have a special trait. My level 3 unit leveled up to level 4 automatically, was there something that i missed about this?
Lumen

Post by Lumen »

Hey this add-on seems amazing :D and i just started it and noticed one thing

captain and longbow man have different potraits in choose leader but in game they have same ( longbowman ) is this done intentionally ?
( i have not yet playd more than first two scenarios [tavern and the siege of greenwood ] )
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

ahmannar wrote:i cannot undo the movements of any unit
This is one of my known bugs and I cannot fix it with Wesnoth 1.12, as far as with my knowledge. This is a side effect of the soldier sync as far as I know, but turning it off solves it.. (Right-click -> Sound effect preferences -> No!). I'll edit this info into the sound preferences message.
Would it also be possible to have an explanation of the effects of the "damage distribution mod" when trying to activate it?
The damage distribution mod was not created nor is it maintained by me, it's just an interesting optional mod I found and I wished to link to the campaign :) I will add short description for it though.
Minor spoilers:
Spoiler:
The dialogue during the scenario "Crossing River Bork" seems to indicate that killing one of the enemy leaders will lead to the discovery of the weakness of the other.
Read the line more carefully. It says either kill the enemy, or analyze the map for clues. ;)
My level 3 unit leveled up to level 4 automatically, was there something that i missed about this?
Umm...I meant that they are either units with lvl 4 advancement available, or units with no advancement, but rather with a special trait. Namely the dark elf high lord, he cannot advance to lvl 4, but has the no-counter melee attack trait.
I'll try to redraft that description.

On gold carryover: I found, that gameplay-wise, it's better to let the player have a smooth gold-carryover throughout the campaign. I know it's against the laws of physics, but for now, this system will remain.

The rest appear to be minor bugs, I will fix them asap, thanks for reporting :)

Lumen wrote:captain and longbow man have different potraits in choose leader but in game they have same
This is exactly what is detailed in the artwork_needed.txt :) The portrait of the Captain in the menu is just the default portrait for any ravager, and it's just a placeholder. Good portraits for a captain-style Blackwood would indeed come in handy, but currently only the longbowman-style portraits are at my disposal :(

Best regards, I hope to fix the issues by tomorrow,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

I've uploaded the 1.0.4 patch update with the bug-fixes, and a couple of other stuff.
Changelog:
The movement-undo bug has been moved to the top of the known-issues list. The only solution remains that the soldier voice-sync effect must be turned off, I've added a message for this.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Uploaded 1.0.5 with a couple of reworked features, as well with some minor bugfixes and fixes for some known issues.
Full changelog:
Changelog:
Happy New Year :)
WhiteWolf
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

WhiteWolf wrote: The damage distribution mod was not created nor is it maintained by me, it's just an interesting optional mod I found and I wished to link to the campaign :) I will add short description for it though.

WhiteWolf
Hey it's great that you have included ddm into this! Out of curiosity did you tweak any of the parameters?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Unfortunately I don't speak Lua, so no, I only had fun with it around a bit. A few notes, it really could have a bit of a tutorial when enabling it, and it seems to throw only 1 damage too often to my taste. :)
Deathchaser666

Post by Deathchaser666 »

Hi Whitewolf,

I've just finished the Underness Series and enjoyed it immensely. I have just started the Ravagers and it's been great.

However, I got stuck in the "Prison of The King" Scenario. No one can enter the cave opening. I've moved each and every character to the mouth of the cave but they don't get transported to the other side of the mountain as it is supposed to be.

My version of Wesnoth is 1.12.6.

Thank you :)