Avian Tribes race v1.0 [Help needed]

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mikoc5

Avian Tribes race v1.0 [Help needed]

Post by mikoc5 »

With the transition to 1.14 I have no idea how to make my mod compatible. If you could help with that, that would be awesome.

The idea behind the race was born from a conversation a friend of mine and I had while we were playing Wesnoth. While I did have minimal experience working with Wesnoth in the past, I never attempted to make a race that would in any way be balanced - in fact I haven't dabbled nearly at all in balancing or competitive play, so chances are this mod is gonna be garbage and a complete and utter waste of your time. Best case scenario, you'll get away with only your eyes bleeding.

Now that this is out of the way, go ahead and subject yourself to the torment.

Download version 1.0 from Google: Google Drive
ALSO available on the official addon server.

About:
General idea: The idea behind this race was to make a faction of anthro birds. (originally supposed to be gryphons, as it probably shows) In terms of preffered terrain, I realized there aren't any any default races who fare well in snow, so I thought it would be a neat idea if they had a terrain advantage there, justifying it by their feathers protecting them from the cold. To balance for this, they fare terrible in water as their feathers soak it up and weigh them down, even more so in the swamps.

Balancing: As they aren't a warrior race, their starting units are rather... Cheap and weak at first (At least, I tried making them so), heavily relying on evasion, but picking up the pace with abilities as time goes on (though possibly at the cost of losing mobility). They are also not as hindered by rough terrain as other factions, even benefitting from snow (with the exception of water and swamps, which is a nightmare) and rely on cheap medics to keep themselves in combat.

Lore: I have very little thought up in terms of lore, aside from the fact that they're areligious nomadic tribes not used to combat. They are highly interested in science, but their only real developments were medicine, hence the availability of doctors in combat.
To denote their army affiliation, the feathers around their arms, ankles and chests are coloured accordingly to reflect which nation they hail from. While generic units have grey bodies, the leaders will be uniquely coloured to reflect their status and make them stand out more. They aren't also very bothered with clothing, since feathers cover everything up nicely.

Planned features/to do:
-Animations, assuming people's eyes aren't bleeding from looking at it.
-Yeah I can't figure out how the Farseer line is supposed to work in lore. Any suggestions on what to replace them with?
-MOAR ANEEMOOTIENZ!

Cnahgelog:
-18-08-2017 / v1.0 - The Apothecary line is getting reworked. The lvl1 healer unit, Doctor, has been shelved in favor of a Field Surgeon (lvl2) to make the tanking tactic less cheap. The unit will remain in the game data, so any saves you have aren't broken. AMLA added. Apologies if this breaks your saves. XD
-22-07-2017 / v0.9.18 - Reworked the Behemoth graphic. Few minor balance and stat tweaks to make some leveling slower. Added animations to the Oracle attack to make it look more fun. New non-recruitable Predator unit. Meant to be a UMS, maybe setting up another faction. Came as a result of me messing with the Behemoth.
-31-05-2017 / v0.9.15 - Slight rebaOH DAMN it's been a few months... Anway! Rebalanced the explorers and alchemists a little bit to make them a little more Glass Cannony/boosted their damage to make them and other units more viable/specialized. (Because they were too overpowered/underpowered respectively.) I wonder if I'll have any other ideas. HEck, this probably makes the race unplayable.
-13.01.2017 / v0.9.12 - Added names. That was... surprisingly easy, actually. Except a lot of bird puns.
-13.01.2017 / v0.9.11 - A new unit line has been added for the commanders, the Avian Guard line. Some new frames were made and some were altered for the Farseer line.
-26.12.2016 / v0.8 - Added some basic attack animations (no new graphics), but I haven't really tested them much. I just know some of them work and I copy-pasted them around.
-23.12.2016 / v0.7 - another day, another update. Alchemist graphics fixed, and a new Shadow unit introduced to the roster, as a final level up of the Explorer line. Written some basic lore for the Wesnoth glossary.
-22.12.2016 / v0.6 - updated the mod with the aforementioned Alchemist and Farseer lines. Balancing revamp. Some new birbs for y'all to play with.

How to get in touch with me:
twitter: @mikoc5
This forum, or the site's messeging system.
I do have a small, private room on Discord. Please feel free to come over.

Disclaimer:
No, I did not rip off orangebox's idea. In fact, I have no idea what his race is about, I only found out it exists right before I was ready to upload a beta version of my avian race mod. (I know, I probably should have checked) The idea was created indie, I made all the art featured in the mod from scratch in GIMP. (though I did borrow some colours and general designs from the core unit images)
Last edited by mikoc5 on August 28th, 2018, 2:27 pm, edited 19 times in total.
The_Gnat

Re: Avian Tribes race (Unaffiliated with orangebox)

Post by The_Gnat »

Sounds interesting i look forward to trying it! I suggest you create an addon and upload it to the wesnoth addon server so it is easier for people to find your addon!
Easy way to create an addon
1. Create a folder with your addon in it
Put you addons folder under:
(in windows) My Games\Wesnoth1.12\data\add-ons\ or Program Files (x86)\Battle For Wesnoth\userdata\data\addons\
(in MAC) ~/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth/data/addons/ (Note: As of OS X 10.7, the Library folder is hidden by default. You can press the Option key and choose Go to access it, or choose Go > Go to Folder… and type in the path there.)
(more links)
2. Create a _main.cfg file
You have already done this. Basically it should load all your files and images.

3. Create a _server.pbl file
This is the file that talks to the wesnoth addon server, put it in your addon folder and in it put:

Code: Select all

title="Avian Era"
author="mikoc5"
description="PUT A DESCRIPTION"
passphrase="PUT A PASSWORD"
[feedback]
    topic_id=44928
[/feedback]
type="era"
version=0.1.0
email="YOUR EMAIL"
icon="A PICTURE FROM THE MAINLINE WESNOTH GAME"
(more links)

4. Upload your addon

Now got to wesnoth and click the addon button on the main menu. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the addons menu (or sort the addons menu by author). You should see a button that says "Publish: Avian Era" in green letters, click on it.

Hopefully this helps
And also great era, keep up the good work! :D
mikoc5

Post by mikoc5 »

The_Gnat wrote:Sounds interesting i look forward to trying it! I suggest you create an addon and upload it to the wesnoth addon server so it is easier for people to find your addon!
Thanks. If you have any suggestions regarding balancing, I'm all ears.
And thanks for the info, it was pretty much that last part with uploading (finding the option in the adon manager) I had trouble with. Much credit! *thumbs up* Wait I don't have any thumbs
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, after looking at the era i have these thoughts (i realize that not all your units are finished)
- Avian Tribe Bruiser 18-2 for a level 2 unit. The shock trooper has 18-2 but it has less 13 hit points and only 4 moves and not the alternative time attack. I would suggest changing it to 15-2
- Avian Tribe Brawler 9-3 for a level 1 unit. The Orcish Grunt has a 9-2 attack and similar moves, and hitpoints. I would suggest changing it to 7-3.
- Avian Tribe Commando Ambush and 8-5 ranged, 7-3 melee for a level 3 unit. The Elvish Avenger has Ambush and 10-4 ranged, 8-4 melee, but less hitpoints and less movement. I would suggest changing it to 7-5, 7-3 with 45 hitpoints.
- Avian Tribe Explorer for a level 1 unit. He probably should cost higher (16 or 17 gold)
- The Avian Tribe Bruiser advances to the Avian Tribe Blockade who is the exact same unit as it (in hitpoints, attacks, experience, it is even still a level 2 unit)
- The Avian Tribe Ambusher advances to itself.
- The ranger, ambusher and the harasser advance to the commando (it is less interesting if all the units end up as the same unit)
- I like you null-Base units id ;)
- The Avian Tribe Reaper has skirmish and hits 10-5 backstab. The Human Assassin has skirmish and hits 8-3 backstab but has a ranged attack. I would suggest 7-5 backstab (maybe even less then this) and only 43 hitpoints
- The Avian Tribe Pioneer losses its firststrike capability when it advances, i like to not remove abilities on advancing. Also it hits 8-5 Firststrike compared to the Human Pikeman hits 10-3 Firststrike. I suggest changing it to 7-5 firststrike on both attacks and only 38 hitpoints.
Obviously all these are only my ideas for balancing this faction, any which you would like to take or discard you can!

Hopefully this helps!
mikoc5

Post by mikoc5 »

Thanks, again, I'm not a very fevorous Wesnoth player so I don't know the ins and outs. Much appreciation with the balancing.

PS mod's been updated.
mikoc5

UPDATE: Avian Tribes race v0.8 (Unaffiliated with orangebox)

Post by mikoc5 »

NEW UPDATE!
Added some basic attack animations (no new graphics), but I haven't really tested them much. I just know some of them work and I copy-pasted them around.

Next up: Animations.
mikoc5

Re: Avian Tribes race v0.8 (Unaffiliated with orangebox)

Post by mikoc5 »

And another new update. A new unit line has been added for the commanders. Some new frames were made and some were altered.

You know, it would be nice if people posted here.
I wonder if this counts as triple-posting, but it's been like what, 3 weeks?
The_Gnat

Re: Avian Tribes race v0.9.12 (Unaffiliated with orangebox)

Post by The_Gnat »

Great i will download the newest version! :D

(as for posting, i find very often i double and triple post on my era thread also, there just isn't that much activity on the forum and so until your add-on gets a few hundred downloads not enough people will have tried it for you to receive more comments... but as long as people are downloading it thats what counts :D )
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

mikoc5 wrote:I wonder if this counts as triple-posting, but it's been like what, 3 weeks?
Don't worry about it, the double-posting taboo is to discourage pointless bumping and multiple posting. If you have something new to say, and something like a day has gone by, no one who is worth listening to is going to chastise you for replying to yourself.

As The_Gnat implied, most people who download your add-on won't say anything no matter what, so don't get discouraged.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
mikoc5

Post by mikoc5 »

Thanks, guys! It gets easy to give up working when you feel like your work is ignored, so I'll try to keep that in mind =)
mikoc5

Re: Avian Tribes race v0.9.15 (Unaffiliated with orangebox)

Post by mikoc5 »

Uopdate!

Not much today, just Rebalanced the explorers to make them more fragile and do more damage, as well as boosted the alchemists a bit to make their time-of-the-day bonuses ACTUALLY have an effect.
mikoc5

Post by mikoc5 »

Update! New non-recruitable and new animations for the Oracle's ranged attack. Minor stat changes.
mikoc5

Post by mikoc5 »

Finally, made AMLA a thing! AAaaaaaannnd that marks my official exit from the mod's beta phase to it's basic v1.0! The lvl1 Doctor Unit has been shelved in favor of another one, since I found it a little too easy to get +8 healing, and the ability has been pushed to the lvl2 Field Surgeon unit.
mikoc5

Re: Avian Tribes race v1.0 [Help needed]

Post by mikoc5 »

With the transition to 1.14 I have no idea how to make my mod compatible. If you could help with that, that would be awesome.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Avian Tribes race v1.0 [Help needed]

Post by Atreides »

Can't help with 1.14 but still have 1.12 installed and noted a few things about the Avians. They all do really good damage, especially the Brawler and Explorer!