Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

Oh, I see. The zombie dragon has a portrait, which is just an edit of this one http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php? ... &start=285 , and that's good enough for my purposes. Not sure if I'll ever do a blue dragon portrait, but maybe.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This thread is still alive. Ukian officer was a moderately important missing image, this is to plug that gap. I screwed up the arms, but have almost convinced myself that it's recovered...
Attachments
Ukian_Officer-linear.png
Ukian_Officer-linear.png (183.69 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
z5x1

Post by z5x1 »

Hi :)
I am glad that you have added a new portrait) Looks great!) . But I think it is worth reviewing the position of the hands
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

z5x1 wrote:But I think it is worth reviewing the position of the hands
Yeah, I agree. It's something to revisit later.

I've got some other portraits. It's difficult to keep the rust from accumulating, but I've convinced myself that these aren't too hideous.
Spoiler:
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Fixed a little that funny anatomy with armadillo's paws growing out of its ass :lol: The "zombie dragon" also has arse-legs. Is that a recurring Wesnoth gimmick? :P
Attachments
blue_dragon.png
blue_dragon.png (7.21 KiB) Viewed 7551 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Nikita_Sadkov wrote:Is that a recurring Wesnoth gimmick? :P
Uh, yeah, I guess so....

Anyhow, got a Ukian Witch portrait. Some work on her right arm is needed to make it more 3D, but otherwise I think it's OK.
Attachments
witch.png
witch.png (182.87 KiB) Viewed 7361 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

You guys are funny.
beetlenaut wrote: They look more anatomically correct in Nikita's version.
Just so we're clear, there is only one version here: mine.
One version and a couple of edits to that version.

To keep this post somewhat productive, I'm posting this portrait. The chakrams are not so great, but I think the rest is roughly OK. (The line-work is not finished.)
Spoiler:
EDIT: Of course, "roughly OK" is not the same as "OK". I think this is closer to "OK":
Spoiler:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

These are some portraits for Archaic Era:
Ukian Archer:
Machine Sentinel:
Wind Daemon:
Royal Spotter:
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

The archer and the witch are my favourites.
Going back to the officer, I don't think the problem is with his hands and arms. I think that his face it too high, not tall, too high up. If you move it down so that the chin is just above where the beard now ends it will change the whole picture.
The interesting position of the hands is a doofus-01 thing. You probably communicate a lot with your hands?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:The interesting position of the hands is a doofus-01 thing. You probably communicate a lot with your hands?
Not sure what you mean. Doesn't everyone, to some extent?

In any case, these are some of the wolves encountered in BMR.
snow/frost wolf:
grey/black wolf:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The nice thing about portraits is that they are a compact little project that you can complete. Terrain graphics has all these transitions to worry about. Unit sprites (and sometimes terrain graphics) have all these animations to worry about. The actual drawing isn't a problem, but you have to test, test, test, test... Portraits, however, are just one image, and it is actually fun to work on them. So, there are other things I should be working on, but I'm doing this instead.
cat:
lizard:
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

The cat is really awesome! :D (I don't say it about the lizard as well, because I don't know how does the sprite look)
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

WTrawi wrote:The cat is really awesome! :D (I don't say it about the lizard as well, because I don't know how does the sprite look)
Thanks. The lizard image is for the blue lizard line in Archaic Era's Menagerie faction.

This is a WIP for Earth Daemon, another Menagerie unit line.
Spoiler:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've had some free time on the holidays, and have been motivated to work on portraits for some reason (but couldn't make myself do much with terrain or sprites). The Khthons in Archaic Era are just about finished, they're on GitHub and will be on the BfW 1.13 server someday soon. They are kind of goofy and probably not of much general interest. This Despair Horseman might be of more general interest though, and hopefully isn't so goofy. It will be used for all levels, except for the Dullohan.
Attachments
Black_Rider.png
Black_Rider.png (107.68 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

Wow, cool! I really love those evil-looking undead and despair portraits! :twisted:
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.