Altered era/ruleset (AKA "Altera", for 1.16, 1.14, 1.12 and 1.10)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lea

Re: "Altered" era/ruleset

Post by lea »

copied from private message
lea wrote:Hello The_Gnat,
The_Gnat wrote:Firstly i noticed that many of your units are called Archer Champion, Fighter Champion, Dancer Champion (they then advance to the hero version). Considering it i personally think it would sound more appropriate if they were called Champion Archer, Champion Fighter, Champion Dancer (no change is necessary to their advancements). No units id's would need to be changed but i think that if these units names were swapped so that the word Champion came first and the name second it would sound better. (just an opinion :D )
these "level suffixes" for "more of the same" advancements ("champion" for level 2, "hero" for level 3) are meant to differentiate "base" units from their "more of the same" advancements, especially in contents of help topics. They are added by macros from misc\unit-name-suffixes.cfg file. if you open (for example) units\elves\warriors\Elven-Fighter-1.cfg file you'll find a macro call at the end of it, like this:
{Elven_Fighter_MEDIA " "}
while for Elven-Fighter-2.cfg it looks like this:
{Elven_Fighter_MEDIA {ADVANCEMENT_SUFFIX_2}}
its argument (empty line for level 1 and {ADVANCEMENT_SUFFIX_2} for level 2) is name suffix. this parameter is itself a macro, so it can be easily changed for all units. I can add second parameter to all xxxxxxx_MEDIA macros for advancement infix - do you think it can help?
The_Gnat wrote:Secondly I was wondering if you would consider changing your era slightly so that all the units images came as a another resource add-on that was a dependency.
(EDIT) After looking deeper into your era unfortunately this would not be as simple as i hoped because not every unit has a unique sprite so i think i will instead duplicate your era because otherwise i would not be able to assign each unit a unique sprite.
all unit images except attack icons are referenced in xxxxx_MEDIA macros so I guess it should be easy for you to change appearance for "more of the same" advancements (see example above).
If you want users to be able to switch between image sets then maybe it can be done as "mod" UMC type with altered era as its dependency... but not sure if it is worth doing because for multi-player games mods are chosen by session's host.
The_Gnat wrote:Thirdly i noticed in the unit database for your era that the elven archer and all his advancements occur twice, are there actually two of each unit or is this just an error in the database?
These visual advancement trees are built by a script. apparently this script does not take into account that units may be able to advance to units of the same (and even lower) level units. and altered has "commoners" which are level 1 units that advance to other level 1 units. I wanted them to have upkeep and zone of control and give exp to enemies that deliver non-killing blows to them so they are not level 0. also this script does not expect converging advancement paths (when multiple unit types can advance to certain other unit type) - it shows converging paths as copies of same sub-tree, for example elven warden -> elven concord sub-tree is duplicated because both elven fighter and elven conjurer can advance to elven warden.
back to "commoners": there are two of them for elves - elven forester and elven wanderer. forester can advance to any male level 1 elven unit and wanderer can advance to any female one. archers can be both male and female, so both forester and wanderer can advance to them - and script shows a duplicate sub-tree of archers for each of elven commoners (without showing commoners themselves since they advance to units of same level as they are).
that was pretty long explanation :)
it could be useful to paint custom advancement tree for altered era - maybe I will do that in future...

would you mind this conversation to be posted in era's forum thread?
I guess other people may have these or similar questions so it might be useful for others.
and thanks for feedback!
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
lea

Post by lea »

copied from private conversation:
The_Gnat wrote:Thank you for the explanations! And it would be no problem to post this conversation in your era thread! Here is a image of the unit database tree with the new images i plan on adding pasted on top of them. Because the unit database doesn't run the lvl 1 commoners i pasted the picture of the faeries i plan on adding for the traveler on the left (and have crossed out the duplicated units).
elves-new.png
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat, don't know how to include images in quotes so please post your image - if you want to make it public of course ) Btw, I did not see some of your replacing sprites in ageless era - where are they from? are they from your franken dungeon?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I got them from a variety of differnt addons i will post a list soon! Here is the tree:
elves-new.png
(Only a few are my franken sprites, i mainly got these from the Uber Default, The Golden Age, and War of the Gods)
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.2.0 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- added second "Altered" race - gnomes (called dwarves in mainline), tried to make it competitive despite having only slow units (except scouts that are weak and unreliable in combat)
- added "corruption" rule: if player owns more than 20 villages then excess villages provide 1/2 gold less income unless their income is required to pay the debt, this is to give extra chance to opponents of "empires" that own half of the map on big maps with 8-9 players, otherwise conquering other half of the map becomes boring
- added "ancestral memory for AI" rule - random unit of each computer player gets experience boost proportional to current turn number - otherwise computer-controlled units seldom live long enough to advance
- reduced price of recalling to 1/2 of recalled unit's maximum experience - it is still more expensive than buying the same unit but should be economically feasible now
- changed included random map generator ("Random map altered") to include more hills/mountains and rivers, reduced default castle size to 7
- attacks with "circular" attack special now have reduced weight to offset the fact that game considers their potential damage as if all strikes could hit
Attachments
Altered 0.2.0 (core).zip
(4.52 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.2.0 (portraits).zip
(4.69 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by lea on February 3rd, 2024, 12:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

lea wrote:- added "corruption" rule: if player owns more than 20 villages then excess villages provide 1/2 gold less income unless their income is required to pay the debt. this is to
Sorry, but what is "this is to". I assume you just made a typo.
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:
lea wrote:- added "corruption" rule: if player owns more than 20 villages then excess villages provide 1/2 gold less income unless their income is required to pay the debt. this is to
Sorry, but what is "this is to". I assume you just made a typo.
this is a sentence I forgot to finish ) fixed
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.2.1 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- fixed "corruption" rule - it should not show error message anymore and should round fractional losses down, also threshold for this rule is increased to 25 villages
- desperate stand is now harder to get several times in a row - unless most of your units are wiped right after being hired for your desperate stand money
- fixed a few animations for gnomes
Attachments
Altered 0.2.1 (core).zip
(4.52 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.2.1 (portraits).zip
Last edited by lea on February 3rd, 2024, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lea

Post by lea »

version 0.2.2 is published for BfW 1.10.7 and 1.12.x

changes:
- 'treasury tax' rule - side loses half of its gold in excess of 250 gold when its turn starts
- 'benevolent lend' - if side's gold reserves are negative then they are halved (effectively reducing the debt) at the start of this side's turn
- 'invasion support' for AI now has its ceiling increased each time a leader is killed
- it is now possible to heal 10 hp for 15-60 experience (depending on unit) instead of advancing, this is mostly for containing units maintenance expenses when many of them advance because they are attacked
- dismissing a unit now gives gold equal to 1/5th of dismissed unit's current experience, also units that were attacked since their last turn cannot be dismissed
- gnome brewer now cures poison, gnome apothecary heals 4 hp per turn and gnome pharmacist heals 8 hp per turn, gnome vagrant now has non-blind melee attack with 1 less strike in addition to his blind melee attack
- fixed (lack of) "poison" sound for gnome apothecary and gnome pharmacist
- fixed "desperate stand" rule - it used to treat dismissed units as not dead
- fixed (I hope) nonlethal attacks that were actually lethal sometimes
Attachments
Altered 0.2.2 (core).zip
(4.56 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Altered 0.2.2 (portraits).zip
Last edited by lea on February 3rd, 2024, 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi Lea, i believe i have finally finished the animations for the altered elves. I will upgrade the version i have animated the units to version 0.2.2 and then will release a add-on "Altered era [+new sprites]" is this ok with you?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Finally (after deleting the portraits) i have uploaded the archive of the modified add-on.
Altered_New_Sprites.zip
(5.41 MiB) Downloaded 515 times
If anyone wants to test it out and check for bugs that would be great. (but remember the credit goes to lea, and various others, all i did is compile their works)
lea

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:Hi Lea, i believe i have finally finished the animations for the altered elves. I will upgrade the version i have animated the units to version 0.2.2 and then will release a add-on "Altered era [+new sprites]" is this ok with you?
yes, no problem with that name ) btw, legally you do not even have to ask - according to conditions of BfW's addon server everything that is uploaded to it (and to this forum as well) is automatically GPL-ed and GPL explicitly allows anybody to publish changed/derivative works as long as they are also GPL-ed.
The_Gnat wrote:If anyone wants to test it out and check for bugs that would be great. (but remember the credit goes to lea, and various others, all i did is compile their works)
so far you are the only one responding in this thread so I guess you can get quite a bit more people to test your work when you publish it on BfW's addon server
The_Gnat

"Altered" era [+new sprites]

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, i have just released the Altered era with the new picture modification i have been working on. It includes unique sprites for every elf. It is equivalent to the current Altered era version 0.2.2, in every way expect the sprites. Download it and have fun.

NOTE: the add-on is called "Altered era [+new sprites]" it has been released for 1.12.6
lea

Re: "Altered" era [+new sprites]

Post by lea »

The_Gnat wrote:Hello, i have just released the Altered era with the new picture modification i have been working on. It includes unique sprites for every elf. It is equivalent to the current Altered era version 0.2.2, in every way expect the sprites. Download it and have fun.

NOTE: the add-on is called "Altered era [+new sprites]" it has been released for 1.12.6
are there any changes compared to version that you posted earlier in this thread?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Just bug fixes and changes to sprites and animations that were not loading (the add-on however is not uploaded yet i encountered a problem and will probably upload it soon)