Some of my (back)story ideas

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Re: Some of my (back)story ideas

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote: :lol: Well i thought we had previously discussed that an ice spirit could be the dead version of a fire spirit ;) But i agree:

Instead they search the artic circle for a map that the dark sorcerer hid their long ago before he was captured. This map leads to either ->
A. A potion/weapon that can destroy all the fire spirits

B. The ancient fire dragon who has the original fire spirit and has been asleep for a thousand years

C. A magic spell the dark sorcerer wants to create to make himself super-powerful ;)
(i am full of story ideas that i will never have time to create :mrgreen: )
eh nevermind, let's continue with other, non 100% campaign plot ideas :P, also, this time 300% more hashtags (## :mrgreen: ) :

1.i had an idea a long long long time ago, that there could have a huge hidden library on a some kind of island, which is inhabited mostly by dragons. Not the village raiding, maiden capturing kind :lol: ,but scholars,historians (#99%_not_stereotypical_dragons :D ) the library contains plenty of story books which are mostly about UMC campaigns :mrgreen (seriously though, for me IftU and maybe the Dragon Trilogy are totally canon (mostly IftU)) it would be funny to exist for a campaign that mentions other UMC a lot :D

2. *removed due to the idea being absurd*

3.speaking of half breed, do you know UMC faeries (those things are just freaking everywhere :D ) i think elves could be half faeries/humans, even though they are too arrogant to admit it :eng: #elves_just_can't_bear_the_truth_and_hate_humans_for_that (brief explanation)

4.okay, so, i went over the drake backstory, but i forgot about the saurians (#saurians_deserve_some_love_too,_you_know) so, i guess they could just have been relatively large lizards (but smaller than drakes) and have been possessed by mediocre ice spirits (this explains their 'chaotic' alignment a bit, and explains how augurs can do their cold curse magic) and yes, they originally didn't like each other a lot due to the fact that they had spirits of the opposite element, but they allied when they were oppressed by all their neighbors, making their alliance crucial to their survival. #desperateness_can_make_the_most_unlikely_alliances

5.btw, about IftU, i am also going to post some IftU theories too firstly, this (you should at least know IftU a tiny bit):
remember those 'demons' from there? although the name kind makes me feel a tiny bit uneasy since i am Christian, i got a theory to solve this problem: i think that they are simply called like that by Irdians (denizens of Irdya, which is the canon name for the world where canon bfw takes place in) and in Urvatha (their home world) they might have a slightly different name. :geek:

btw, some of my theories will be true assuming IftU is canon. even though it isn't, i think such a masterpiece is canon, and it perfectly fits into the Under the Burning Suns, which is canon. :geek:

6.ogre origins: probably something like Neanderthals, but fatter :D

7.btw, from Rise of Wesnoth campaign we know that orcs came from a different world, i wonder what if IftU world it could be? Probably not Urvatha, since it already has it's own equivalents :geek: #i think i am starting to make theories for only die-hard IftU series fans :lol: :lol:

EDIT:

8.i think that humans weren't only on the Green Isle, there was probably a human civilization on the Great Continent before, but maybe it perished

9.the khalifate could be the descendants of the remains of that civilization
Last edited by ForestDragon on November 30th, 2016, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

Thank you.
Last edited by Durin_the_great on December 1st, 2016, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Durin_the_great wrote:2. Don't you try to say that again. And half-breeds were discussed in another thread.
sorry, my bad, i just typed what popped into my head, will remove it

EDIT:done, sorry for posting such bull****
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

ForestDragon wrote:btw, from Rise of Wesnoth campaign we know that orcs came from a different world
If I remember correctly, it is said that they are from another continent (the Old Continent?), not world. They came to Green Isle through portals created by Lich Lords.
i think that humans weren't only on the Green Isle, there was probably a human civilization on the Great Continent before
Abhai's words in Northern Rebirth (in scenario The Pursuit) imply so. Also, some UMCs assume that some humans inhabited Great Continent centuries before founding Wesnoth (but something happened to them).
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

James_The_Invisible wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:btw, from Rise of Wesnoth campaign we know that orcs came from a different world
If I remember correctly, it is said that they are from another continent (the Old Continent?), not world. They came to Green Isle through portals created by Lich Lords.
i think that humans weren't only on the Green Isle, there was probably a human civilization on the Great Continent before
Abhai's words in Northern Rebirth (in scenario The Pursuit) imply so. Also, some UMCs assume that some humans inhabited Great Continent centuries before founding Wesnoth (but something happened to them).
1.well, i didn't play Rise of Wesnoth too much, so i probably forgot, anyway, thanks for reminding me.
2.thanks for mentioning :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ForestDragon wrote: 1.i had an idea a long long long time ago, that there could have a huge hidden library on a some kind of island, which is inhabited mostly by dragons. Not the village raiding, maiden capturing kind :lol: ,but scholars,historians (#99%_not_stereotypical_dragons :D ) the library contains plenty of story books which are mostly about UMC campaigns :mrgreen (seriously though, for me IftU and maybe the Dragon Trilogy are totally canon (mostly IftU)) it would be funny to exist for a campaign that mentions other UMC a lot :D
Sounds like a good idea 8) but i really don't see drakes having a library (not even 99% not_stereotypical_drakes :D ). The main reason i say this is because (even though their may be some drake scholars) the majority seem like the warrior type of people. The fire spirits inside them burn with passion/energy or something that makes drakes fierce warriors not so much book readers.

However the library idea (with UMC references) is good, if human had the island it would almost be to ordinary (though maybe these humans are outcasts/vagrants/pariahs/sages or something like those). I personally can see elves having a massive secret library though. And only very old wise elves know about this library hidden in a forest on a island, far away from the mainland of wesnoth. As a third idea though, dwarves have lots of lore and maybe a library is a perfect place to keep it :P
ForestDragon wrote:4.okay, so, i went over the drake backstory, but i forgot about the saurians (#saurians_deserve_some_love_too,_you_know) so, i guess they could just have been relatively large lizards (but smaller than drakes) and have been possessed by mediocre ice spirits (this explains their 'chaotic' alignment a bit, and explains how augurs can do their cold curse magic) and yes, they originally didn't like each other a lot due to the fact that they had spirits of the opposite element, but they allied when they were oppressed by all their neighbors, making their alliance crucial to their survival. #desperateness_can_make_the_most_unlikely_alliances
Okay, but i always thought that saurians (because of their lizard like bodies) were not really at all related to drakes but instead nagas. And though desperateness makes the most unlikely alliances. Saurians being swamp dwelling, choatic, undecent, swarm-and-overwhelm type fighters. And drakes being mountain dwelling,lawful, noble, proud warriors... #no_alliance_potential_here

Also the ideas about saurians having ice spirits, do nagas have ice spirits? Anyway why would a warrior like a ice spirit enter a saurian?
ForestDragon wrote:5.btw, about IftU, i am also going to post some IftU theories too firstly, this (you should at least know IftU a tiny bit):
remember those 'demons' from there? although the name kind makes me feel a tiny bit uneasy since i am Christian, i got a theory to solve this problem: i think that they are simply called like that by Irdians (denizens of Irdya, which is the canon name for the world where canon bfw takes place in) and in Urvatha (their home world) they might have a slightly different name. :geek:
Unfortunately though i know some about IftU, i haven't played it so can't tell you much about demon names :mrgreen: but i think in general what people call each other is all from a certain viewpoint. For example i am sure the elves do not call themselves "rebels" and probably no one but the human armies call themselves "loyalists" and as for the "northerners", if you are a "northerner" you call yourself a "middler" and everyone else "southerners" :P
ForestDragon wrote: 6.ogre origins: probably something like Neanderthals, but fatter :D
Totally :lol: #why_are_their_orges_on_the_loyalist_faction
ForestDragon wrote:8.i think that humans weren't only on the Green Isle, there was probably a human civilization on the Great Continent before, but maybe it perished

9.the khalifate could be the descendants of the remains of that civilization
Yeah, i definitely agree that their was someone on the great continent. And since the khalifate certainly didn't come from islands, they probably started off on the great continent and maybe they fled from something and decided to wander the desert or maybe they always were wandering the desert.

And since, talking of species and such, the elves probably are part human maybe they came to from the green island a while before the humans and adapted/mated to form elves on the great continent, and since it was such a long time they forgot their humble heritage #forgetfullness_breeeds_contempt.

Like you said originally referencing UMC work would be good in a campaign/scenarios. Besides libraries you could have a old sage who follows you around and bothers you by telling you about old battles and old UMC stuff which your character thinks is pointless ^_^ Or you could have a scroll found somewhere that references UMC stuff, or something like that? Besides IftU and AtS, LotI is a big UMC campaign and AsoF and A Beastly Tale are commonly known.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote:Sounds like a good idea 8) but i really don't see drakes having a library (not even 99% not_stereotypical_drakes :D ). The main reason i say this is because (even though their may be some drake scholars) the majority seem like the warrior type of people. The fire spirits inside them burn with passion/energy or something that makes drakes fierce warriors not so much book readers.
:doh: :augh: :evil: , IT'S DRAGONS! NOT DRAKES, THEY ARE DIFFERENT CREATURES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! anyways, as we discussed before, dragons are much more lazy than their more bloodthirsty drake counterparts, and they tend to hibernate (sleep for a long while) a lot, since they don't have to worry about aging as much. besides a dragon would clearly love to have more ways to spend time, other than just sleeping/occasionally eating, so bookworm dragons could be not as uncommon.
The_Gnat wrote:However the library idea (with UMC references) is good, if human had the island it would almost be to ordinary (though maybe these humans are outcasts/vagrants/pariahs/sages or something like those). I personally can see elves having a massive secret library though. And only very old wise elves know about this library hidden in a forest on a island, far away from the mainland of wesnoth. As a third idea though, dwarves have lots of lore and maybe a library is a perfect place to keep it :P
good idea about elves/dwarves
The_Gnat wrote:Okay, but i always thought that saurians (because of their lizard like bodies) were not really at all related to drakes but instead nagas. And though desperateness makes the most unlikely alliances. Saurians being swamp dwelling, choatic, undecent, swarm-and-overwhelm type fighters. And drakes being mountain dwelling,lawful, noble, proud warriors... #no_alliance_potential_here
i didn't necessarily say that they were biologically related to drakes, besides, saurians being wamp dwelling, choatic, undecent, swarm-and-overwhelm type fighters doesn't necessarily repulse the idea of an alliance, but rather promotes it. Any wise drake commander knows how these saurian qualities can actually tactically help out a lot #drakes_aren't_total_idiots,_you_know
The_Gnat wrote:Also the ideas about saurians having ice spirits, do nagas have ice spirits? Anyway why would a warrior like a ice spirit enter a saurian?
firstly, i guess the nagas have some water spirits like merfolk do, but much weaker ones, that are almost inert, secondly, ice spirits, unlike their fire counterparts are slightly ideologically different. Think of it like this, where do the drake values/lawfulness/noblility come from? fire spirits. why are saurians nearly opposite of that? opposite spirit element.

you'd think that they would fight eachother due to the fact that they have different kinds of spirits, but it's kind of not that way. about drakes, it's clearly known that they have fire spirits, but most don't know that saurians have ice spirits in them, and think that they are magically inert, like humans are.
The_Gnat wrote:Unfortunately though i know some about IftU, i haven't played it so can't tell you much about demon names :mrgreen: but i think in general what people call each other is all from a certain viewpoint. For example i am sure the elves do not call themselves "rebels" and probably no one but the human armies call themselves "loyalists" and as for the "northerners", if you are a "northerner" you call yourself a "middler" and everyone else "southerners" :P
couldn't been more true :D
The_Gnat wrote:Totally :lol: #why_are_their_orges_on_the_loyalist_faction
#because_the_devs_needed_to_put_a_nearly_useless_unit_like_somewhere :mrgreen:
The_Gnat wrote: Yeah, i definitely agree that their was someone on the great continent. And since the khalifate certainly didn't come from islands, they probably started off on the great continent and maybe they fled from something and decided to wander the desert or maybe they always were wandering the desert.
yeah
The_Gnat wrote:And since, talking of species and such, the elves probably are part human maybe they came to from the green island a while before the humans and adapted/mated to form elves on the great continent, and since it was such a long time they forgot their humble heritage #forgetfullness_breeeds_contempt.
yeah, btw, i think they have a long lifespan due to being half-faerie. faeries have an infinite lifespan (unless some a**hole kills them :mrgreen: ) combined with human short lifespan=long lifespan (still very short by faerie standards)
The_Gnat wrote:Like you said originally referencing UMC work would be good in a campaign/scenarios. Besides libraries you could have a old sage who follows you around and bothers you by telling you about old battles and old UMC stuff which your character thinks is pointless ^_^ Or you could have a scroll found somewhere that references UMC stuff, or something like that? Besides IftU and AtS, LotI is a big UMC campaign and AsoF and A Beastly Tale are commonly known.
well, not a bad idea, but IftU and LotI overlap a bit in some things, so making a consistent reference to both add-ons will be difficult. btw, the sage idea is neat

well, a few new ideas:
while we discussed drakes/saurians, now we could get to faeries/dwarves (don't worry, 'Durin_the_Great', i'll try not to offend you this time)/trolls/ect.

1.orc backstory: i guess they could be some kind of corrupted primitive humans (meaning that they lost their resistance to arcane attacks, but at same time didn't become as vulnerable to it as undead)

2.first intelligent races on Irdya: the list might look like this: humans,faeries,dwarves,trolls,woses

3.maybe the practice necromancy wasn't invented in Irdya, but some other IftU world, and spread in Irdya after a some kind of invasion (or just some outcast necromancer) from that world
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The art of necromancy was independently developed on different worlds at different times and multiple times, including Irdya. It’s not imported or special.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ForestDragon wrote: :doh: :augh: :evil: , IT'S DRAGONS! NOT DRAKES, THEY ARE DIFFERENT CREATURES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! anyways, as we discussed before, dragons are much more lazy than their more bloodthirsty drake counterparts, and they tend to hibernate (sleep for a long while) a lot, since they don't have to worry about aging as much. besides a dragon would clearly love to have more ways to spend time, other than just sleeping/occasionally eating, so bookworm dragons could be not as uncommon.
:lol: Ok, i think i got the point... As for a library from 99%_unsteryotypical_DRAGONS wouldn't their books have to be about 10ft tall? Otherwise the writing would be too small for them to read. Unless the DRAGONS were about drake size they couldn't read normal books. Also due to DRAGONS bad handwriting wouldn't all the books be really messy and hard to read? Also i don't see DRAGONS caves as a good environment to store books, wouldn't after a few decades all the books fall apart in the damp hot air created by the DRAGONS?

I will respond to the rest of the ideas when i get a chance :D
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I would complain about burnable books rather than their size.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ForestDragon wrote:firstly, i guess the nagas have some water spirits like merfolk do, but much weaker ones, that are almost inert, secondly, ice spirits, unlike their fire counterparts are slightly ideologically different. Think of it like this, where do the drake values/lawfulness/noblility come from? fire spirits. why are saurians nearly opposite of that? opposite spirit element.
Good explanation!
ForestDragon wrote:you'd think that they would fight eachother due to the fact that they have different kinds of spirits, but it's kind of not that way. about drakes, it's clearly known that they have fire spirits, but most don't know that saurians have ice spirits in them, and think that they are magically inert, like humans are.
Yeah.
ForestDragon wrote:
The_Gnat wrote:Totally :lol: #why_are_their_orges_on_the_loyalist_faction
#because_the_devs_needed_to_put_a_nearly_useless_unit_like_somewhere :mrgreen:
@devs:

It would make sense to remove the Ogres from the loyalist faction, and instead either not include them at all (like many other campaign units) or merely place them on the northerners faction. The Northerners seem happy to have anyone and everyone in their alliance.
ForestDragon wrote: yeah, btw, i think they have a long lifespan due to being half-faerie. faeries have an infinite lifespan (unless some a**hole kills them :mrgreen: ) combined with human short lifespan=long lifespan (still very short by faerie standards)
Yeah! But that brings up another good question

@devs:

Why are there no Faeries in mainline wesnoth? The Rebels faction has woses, merman, elves, and even human mages but no faeries?

Now admittedly faeries are un-warlike creatures who probably scorn the elves for their militant ways (they seem militant to the faeries) but nevertheless faeries seem like creatures that would often dwell in forests and be near elves so they would be most likely found on the rebels faction.

On the other hand if faeries obstinately refused to join the rebels, they would at least be found or mentioned somewhere in wesnoth in a campaign. #what_happened_to_the_faeries

well, a few new ideas:
while we discussed drakes/saurians, now we could get to faeries/dwarves (don't worry, 'Durin_the_Great', i'll try not to offend you this time)/trolls/ect.
ForestDragon wrote: 1.orc backstory: i guess they could be some kind of corrupted primitive humans (meaning that they lost their resistance to arcane attacks, but at same time didn't become as vulnerable to it as undead)
Hmm... Yeah but it seems like they wouldn't have just evolved into orcs after a time, i personally think humans had to have mated with some other species to get orcs, because their genetics seem quite differn't the humans (compared to elves who are almost human in appearance)
Orc vs Human
orcvhuman.png
ForestDragon wrote: 2.first intelligent races on Irdya: the list might look like this: humans,faeries,dwarves,trolls,woses
Yeah i agree, but am still trying to figure out where the orcs came from??
ForestDragon wrote: 3.maybe the practice necromancy wasn't invented in Irdya, but some other IftU world, and spread in Irdya after a some kind of invasion (or just some outcast necromancer) from that world
It seems to me where ever there are inhabited areas some people will strive to master the arts of wizardry, some will strive to do good, heal, and achieve ultimate enlightenment, and some will take the easiest road to power, the road through the grave...
Ravana wrote:I would complain about burnable books rather than their size.
Yeah that too! (i still really don't see dragons or drakes having a library)
Spoiler:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote:Why are there no Faeries in mainline wesnoth? The Rebels faction has woses, merman, elves, and even human mages but no faeries?

Now admittedly faeries are un-warlike creatures who probably scorn the elves for their militant ways (they seem militant to the faeries) but nevertheless faeries seem like creatures that would often dwell in forests and be near elves so they would be most likely found on the rebels faction.

On the other hand if faeries obstinately refused to join the rebels, they would at least be found or mentioned somewhere in wesnoth in a campaign. #what_happened_to_the_faeries
well, devs don't like mainlining things, even good ones.
The_Gnat wrote:Hmm... Yeah but it seems like they wouldn't have just evolved into orcs after a time, i personally think humans had to have mated with some other species to get orcs, because their genetics seem quite differn't the humans (compared to elves who are almost human in appearance)
by 'corrupted', i mean something like some humans getting captured/experimented on by an evil wizard or something to make them serve as his minions
The_Gnat wrote:It seems to me where ever there are inhabited areas some people will strive to master the arts of wizardry, some will strive to do good, heal, and achieve ultimate enlightenment, and some will take the easiest road to power, the road through the grave...
don't know what to say here :hmm:
The_Gnat wrote:
Ravana wrote:I would complain about burnable books rather than their size.
Yeah that too! (i still really don't see dragons or drakes having a library)
valid point, but i guess that those dragons could know at least some kind of magic (they could have lots of spellbooks in their library) and they could have learned some kind of spell to make their books fireproof
The_Gnat wrote:
Spoiler:
good idea too :D
The_Gnat wrote:
ForestDragon wrote: :doh: :augh: :evil: , IT'S DRAGONS! NOT DRAKES, THEY ARE DIFFERENT CREATURES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! anyways, as we discussed before, dragons are much more lazy than their more bloodthirsty drake counterparts, and they tend to hibernate (sleep for a long while) a lot, since they don't have to worry about aging as much. besides a dragon would clearly love to have more ways to spend time, other than just sleeping/occasionally eating, so bookworm dragons could be not as uncommon.
:lol: Ok, i think i got the point... As for a library from 99%_unsteryotypical_DRAGONS wouldn't their books have to be about 10ft tall? Otherwise the writing would be too small for them to read. Unless the DRAGONS were about drake size they couldn't read normal books. Also due to DRAGONS bad handwriting wouldn't all the books be really messy and hard to read? Also i don't see DRAGONS caves as a good environment to store books, wouldn't after a few decades all the books fall apart in the damp hot air created by the DRAGONS?

I will respond to the rest of the ideas when i get a chance :D
well, their books will be big indeed, but, i don't think the dragons will write by themselves, they could either have slaves who do it for them, or large animated feathers (for writing) for those who know some magic
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yeah i think probably the dragon scholars will have some servants write the books (i still am holding onto the idea about the golden books :mrgreen: )

But now for new ideas and questions:

- If you fight along side the undead and necromancers do you turn evil?
-decent into darkness supports this idea, but Malin didn't really fight alongside the undead instead he fully embraced it, so it figured he would become evil

-i remember in delfadors memoirs, delfador fighting with undead (correct me if i am wrong, it was a long time ago) and he never became a evil sorcerer
- Khalifates have lots of odd names (it seems no attempt to translate them to english has been made :P ) do the names mean anything? What is their origin, did the dev's just make up some stuff (i highly doubt they did)

- in the wesnoth portraits folder initiate-2.png is a much better portrait, why is the more cartoon-like initiate still the default?

After further contemplating races and mating i was wondering these:

- If a dwarf and a merman had a kid what would it be? If a troll and a merman had a kid could it swim of would it just sink like a rock? And what if a elf and a ogre had a kid, would it be a human? :mrgreen:

- What exactly happened to a orc to get a goblin?

- Considering a little anatomy: a naga's arms shape size and the fingers they have (like mermans) remind me a humans,elves,dwarves,goblins,trolls,orcs, and almost every other species in wesnoth (with the exception of monsters,saurians, and maybe drakes) This makes me wonder if perhaps their is some far greater backstory (which we have not yet explored) which links all these races together.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote: But now for new ideas and questions:

After further contemplating races and mating i was wondering these:

- Considering a little anatomy: a naga's arms shape size and the fingers they have (like mermans) remind me a humans,elves,dwarves,goblins,trolls,orcs, and almost every other species in wesnoth (with the exception of monsters,saurians, and maybe drakes) This makes me wonder if perhaps their is some far greater backstory (which we have not yet explored) which links all these races together.
The_Gnat wrote:Yeah i think probably the dragon scholars will have some servants write the books (i still am holding onto the idea about the golden books :mrgreen: )
well, depending on where a specific dragon lives, it could be technically possible ;)
The_Gnat wrote:- If you fight along side the undead and necromancers do you turn evil?
-decent into darkness supports this idea, but Malin didn't really fight alongside the undead instead he fully embraced it, so it figured he would become evil
-i remember in delfadors memoirs, delfador fighting with undead (correct me if i am wrong, it was a long time ago) and he never became a evil sorcerer
unless you are their master, no. the thing that corrupts necromancers/ect. isn't fighting side by side with undead, it's the power of being able to summon them that corrupts them (too of power of any kind can corrupt nearly anyone) so, fighting alongside undead is safe for your mental health (unless you also count being scared of undead, but that's a slightly different story :mrgreen: ), and also, the examples you posted prove this too.
The_Gnat wrote:- Khalifates have lots of odd names (it seems no attempt to translate them to english has been made :P ) do the names mean anything? What is their origin, did the dev's just make up some stuff (i highly doubt they did)
well, the Khalifate in BfW is a sort of mix of arabs and turks, so some name origins might be from either (ot even both) of those cultures
The_Gnat wrote:- in the wesnoth portraits folder initiate-2.png is a much better portrait, why is the more cartoon-like initiate still the default?
i understand you on this matter. the reason is just that developers didn't want make i the default portrait because it didn't have a staff (which the Initiate has)
The_Gnat wrote:- If a dwarf and a merman had a kid what would it be? If a troll and a merman had a kid could it swim of would it just sink like a rock? And what if a elf and a ogre had a kid, would it be a human? :mrgreen:
:? :doh: :augh: most of them wouldn't even want to mate with eachother
The_Gnat wrote:- What exactly happened to a orc to get a goblin?
probably some kind of negative genetic mutation at birth (things like that are most likely frequent for orcs) that also explains why goblins have negative traits instead of positive ones (the traits probably tell about which defect a specific goblin has, alongside difficulties to grow up to large sizes)
The_Gnat wrote:- Considering a little anatomy: a naga's arms shape size and the fingers they have (like mermans) remind me a humans,elves,dwarves,goblins,trolls,orcs, and almost every other species in wesnoth (with the exception of monsters,saurians, and maybe drakes) This makes me wonder if perhaps their is some far greater backstory (which we have not yet explored) which links all these races together.
it's possible, but there isn't much evidence to make a specific theory out of, but the idea of all of the listed species being related is fairly interesting :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi, now about undead:

Personally my favorite of the undead are the ghosts. 8) It is interesting to consider why some undead are resurrected only bones and nothing else and some are resurrected only spirit and no bones. This also makes me wonder, if a necromancer has the choice to resurrect a skeleton or ghost why would he not always choose ghost? And also why does he never resurrect himself as a ghost but always as a skeletal lich?

The second favorite of the undead for me is the ghoul > necrophage > ghast. :mrgreen:
The awesome deathly monsters are really great but the "feeding" ability is pretty weak. It only adds 1 hp for each time you kill an enemy. You would have to kill literally a dozen before it has any significant effect. As for backstory once again it brings up the question how does a necromancer decide what to resurrect? Ghouls are pretty nasty creatures that i see as similar to the flesh golem in UtBS: Likely to turn on their masters. Unfortunately no where in the game have the developers added a random 1 out of 50 event where the ghouls change teams.

Also an interesting question is why are mainly humans necromancers? It figures that orcs aren't because they can't cast magic, similarly saurian magic is weak and not sufficient for real necromancy and raising dead people. But considering all the races originate from each other why is in the history of wesnoth only 1 dwarf, and 0 elves ever necromancers, while meanwhile there are human dark sorcerers all over the world?