Lovecraft's Deep Ones (New here)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Stopsignal

Re: Lovecraft's Deep Ones (New here)

Post by Stopsignal »

Neither could do something today, sorry! I'm seriously trying, but boring life gets on the way.
I'll try to continue it as soon as i can, i'll fix the eyes, belly, mouth colors, and add a new animation, as well as some new mockup sprites. I'tll be awesome!

I don't really want to comment on your idea right now Wussel, as i'm really sleepy and can't think straight, sorry! But as soon as i can i'll take a look at it!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Animating here! I think i fixed the attack animation quite well. Though i decided to play with white action lines. What do you think?

Without:

With:

By the way, check how i filled the mouth and make the arm brighter, and made the belly move less drastically!
I fixed ALL animations, had to edit each one, but it wasn't hard. Next pack comes with fixed drawings!

Is there a way to make it so that the attack numbers appear just when the mouth closes, by the way?

@Wussel:
Maybe your idea of the dweller evolving into a half breed would be a better idea indeed, as that way you can specialize the units earlier on. I will have to make the fisherman look a bit tougher, but that won't be a problem! Though i'd like to leave the normal deep one as a hunter, as i already got a look for the warrior in mind. i can't really understand some stuff you wrote, though! D:

Soon i'll post some more sprites. Stay tuned! Specially the animation of the stare. It will be a really simple one, but still fun to do.

Other think
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Stopsignal wrote:Animating here! I think i fixed the attack animation quite well. Though i decided to play with white action lines. What do you think?

By the way, check how i filled the mouth and make the arm brighter, and made the belly move less drastically!
I fixed ALL animations, had to edit each one, but it wasn't hard. Next pack comes with fixed drawings!
Great i like the variant with action lines!! :D
Stopsignal wrote: Is there a way to make it so that the attack numbers appear just when the mouth closes, by the way?
Yes there is i am happy to do that when you post the archive with the images! I can then also release a new version of the add-on! :D
Stopsignal wrote: Soon i'll post some more sprites. Stay tuned! Specially the animation of the stare. It will be a really simple one, but still fun to do.

Other think
Look forward to seeing more! :D
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

What ever you like is fine for me.

For me churning out new base sprites and portraits would be most exciting.

There is an option to alter the sprites. A smaller hunter, a hunter with spikes and such, but what you will do would be a lot more exciting.
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Thanks! And i might end up doing that for the evolutions, but i want to have the base sprite for the warrior now, before advancing. Though thinking about it, i might end up actually using it for the Warrior, and use this little guy i just started (it WILL change drastically, as i want it to be easily told apart from the other one)

I can't for the life of me get a good idea to draw Dagon, however. But at least those sketches gave me the new hunter!

Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Animation looks really good now. I'd go with the version without the actionlines, because right now they look too bright. Usually the actionlines are more transparent, so you'd still see the green skin. I don't know what program you use to edit the images, but in paint.net I usually go with a white colour with ca 150 transparence (from a scale 0-255) for actionlines.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi Stopsignal, I love the new images you are working on! :D (btw so far we have 12 downloads over the last few days since i uploaded the deepone addon, pretty good considering we only have 1 fully animated unit yet!)
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

That's awesome! Man, this is going great :D
I'm still downloading it manually, as I couldn't find it last time. What is the addon called?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Stopsignal wrote:That's awesome! Man, this is going great :D
I'm still downloading it manually, as I couldn't find it last time. What is the addon called?
The Deepones Era, you can download it https://addons.wesnoth.org/1.12/ or the add-on menu in the game. :D
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Thanks!
I have to get my PC fixed, so production will be halted for a few days. Soon I'll continue though!
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

God wow, i'm finally back. Sorry for that. Anyways, here is some work on the new hunter version. The other one will go to the Warrior!

Spoiler:
The sprite for the fisherman, i'm not sure if i had posted it.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Looking Good Stopsignal! 8) I like the portrait and new Deep One Warrior! Also about the fisherman, if you have time it would be great if you could edit his animations to be younger also.

(obviously making new AWESOME deepones should come as a higher priority ;) but if you have time, i have attached an archive of the fishermans older animations)

Thanks, i always love to see your posts! :D
Attachments
human-peasants.zip
(20.27 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Awesome!

I would go for sprite baseframes and portrait sketches right now!

@the_Gnat: We could use the sketches as place holders for the portraits straight away. (It is not mainline policy, but it should be fine.) Basically just cut a square and size it to 400x400. Technically we could replace the white with a parchment, but it does not matter.

About the big open black mouth frame: I finally looked at it in details and found my issue. First: you are not even using pitch black. What I tried was dittering some dark grey in from right (from the viewer) to left (less). So basically if the mouth is more open the black should become more grey (only imo). The motion blur is actually doing that to some extend. Maybe it might be some water spitting or so?

The amount of frames in the animation are fine too. Basically the arm wiggle or the bouncing needs some extra frames. So I guess it is just a question of efficiency.

Edit: I took the liberty to copy all sketches on a 400x400 parchment. Might be good for something.
deep-ones.zip
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 407 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi Stopsignal,

The attack animations look nice, but they may look different "in-game", as the sprite is moving around. If you don't want to worry about the feet etc., maybe you could give the fish-people a long neck that stretches out ~65px or so when they attack. ... I'm not sure about that, it's just a thought.

Is the Cthulhu unit an animated (stone? wood?) icon, or is it supposed to be an animal/anthropoid? Reason I ask is that the crouched/fetal posture seems a bit odd.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

@wussel - thanks for the portraits, not that many units have been made yet but for the created ones I will put in the placeholder portraits :D

@doofus01 - so far only the deepone hunter has been fully animated but if you download the deepones era addon you will see that it looks very good! :D