[mainline] Voice acting ?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: [mainline] Voice acting ?

Post by gfgtdf »

Already did the voice over for "Strange Legacy"
Can i hear them by just downloading and playing Strange Legacy or do i need something else to hear them?
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Heindal wrote:Already did the voice over for "Strange Legacy", but need to record it again because of changes made to the test ^^. So I know about the "sound" option. These files are good, but far away from perfect. If you compare english and german you will realize that the german is way more fluent than the english version where I talk word by word. Of cause you can use macros to get rid of these pauses, but I don't know which grade of perfection is wanted.

Without the support of the main crew, its no point in working on this any more, imho. Because you see that this small text has taken me 1 hour and I'm fast having experience with records so far. For the entire addon I think I will need 8 hours at least. Would be a waste of time, if it is never used.
Yeah i agre it is a very time consuming task :hmm: That is unfortunate because it would be very interesting! I think the main problem is there just isn't enough support....

Like Zookeeper said before "people suggest it all the time, but it never works out"

Thankyou for the effort though! :D
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

gfgtdf you will need 'Trader Sounds', its optional but contain several additional sounds such as an eating and singing sounds and some words spoken by the dark boss.
I made them when I had less experience and I would make the orc of the intro sound orcisher now.

But that's another problem - the "size" of these sound files is enormous. I think if we ever implant this, the sound files should be an optional add-on for the main campaigns. So the user may decide if he downloads them or not. This works well in Strange Legacy, if you don't have the additional add-on 'Trader Sounds' the original game can be played without problems and less size. Maybe I can make the other parts later on the weekend.

I can switch into different roles and voice types, so Baran and his brother or undeads, orcs, dwarves, aliens, elves or trolls should be no problems. But I personally believe we would need a voice for female characters (I don't remember if there are any). Okay I've heard audio books where they just have one speaker who does it all, but it might sound better with real voice actors. And this is where the thing begins to become complicated.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I have no real experience at this but if you would like i can voice act a few of the characters. :D
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Heindal wrote: But that's another problem - the "size" of these sound files is enormous. I think if we ever implant this, the sound files should be an optional add-on for the main campaigns. So the user may decide if he downloads them or not. This works well in Strange Legacy, if you don't have the additional add-on 'Trader Sounds' the original game can be played without problems and less size. Maybe I can make the other parts later on the weekend.
Hmm yes speciall when you consider that you need differnet voiceovers for different translations. I think there shodul be an easy way to only download the translations that you actually need.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

gfgtdf wrote:
Heindal wrote: But that's another problem - the "size" of these sound files is enormous. I think if we ever implant this, the sound files should be an optional add-on for the main campaigns. So the user may decide if he downloads them or not. This works well in Strange Legacy, if you don't have the additional add-on 'Trader Sounds' the original game can be played without problems and less size. Maybe I can make the other parts later on the weekend.
Hmm yes speciall when you consider that you need differnet voiceovers for different translations. I think there shodul be an easy way to only download the translations that you actually need.
You could just make an bunch of add-ons. Named Tale-Of-Two-Brother-Voice-Overs-German, Tale-Of-Two-Brother-Voice-Overs-Russian, and so on like that...

That would allow people to only download the version they need. All the sound files for the different languages could be named the same and then in the scenario cfg file just put sound=Sound_Story_1.mp3 and then no matter which translation of the sounds you have downloaded it will play them.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hm, yeah that would be a good concept. Each add-on could have his own team of speakers. Well we have a concept that would work fine, but we still need to change the original scenario than. I could deliver at least the english and german version. I still don't know if my english is good enough, as a non-native speaker.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Heindal wrote:Hm, yeah that would be a good concept. Each add-on could have his own team of speakers. Well we have a concept that would work fine, but we still need to change the original scenario than. I could deliver at least the english and german version. I still don't know if my english is good enough, as a non-native speaker.
I personally think it is good! Anyway we can't really be picky at this point. Once we get it to a workable version then we can go back if we want. And since i am using the word "we" maybe it is time i help also :D Is there anything you would like me to do?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Maybe asking someone in the chat and ask for suggestion and feedback for the samples. Also we will need support of the officials. If you could take care for that, I can make the voice parts ready for english and german. I will also make a manual how I made it, so others can copy the concept and make own sound add-ons for their language.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Heindal wrote:Maybe asking someone in the chat and ask for suggestion and feedback for the samples. Also we will need support of the officials. If you could take care for that, I can make the voice parts ready for english and german. I will also make a manual how I made it, so others can copy the concept and make own sound add-ons for their language.
Yeah, sure! Also have you tested this in-game yet?

EDIT: I have set the english version up so it works in-game for scenario 1. Currently it is not a add-on but instead overwrites the core campaign so make sure you back up your campaign files before changing anything.

Here is the new scenario 1 of a tale of two brothers that loads the sound files:
01_Rooting_Out_a_Mage.cfg
(13.65 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
Unfortunately wesnoths [campaign] tags do not allow a way to add audio when you click on campaign in the campaign menu but this scenario file (if placed in data/campaigns/Two_Brothers/scenarios) will load the sound files i have attached.

I have changed their format to ogg so wesnoth can load them and also increased their volume slightly.

Put the folder in the sounds archive in the base two_brothers folder also! :D
Attachments
sounds.zip
(3.48 MiB) Downloaded 331 times
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I wonder how we can handle messages with variables in it though?like for example [message] message = "We still need $n stones to build the bridge"[/message]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

gfgtdf wrote:I wonder how we can handle messages with variables in it though?like for example [message] message = "We still need $n stones to build the bridge"[/message]
Good question! I think we could either just record "We still need stones" with no numbers but that would be a lazy wau to do it. Alternatively can a sound= string in a message take more than one sound file? If so can it load sound files using variables?
If it can we could do sound=$soundfiletoplay for things were there are only a few options. Or sound=SOUNDFILEFIRSTHALF.ogg, $numbertoplay, SOUNDFILESECONDHALF.ogg I dont know exactly how sound= loads but we could test what works.

Personally I think we should just take the lazy solution and then if this project ever gets done we can go back and make it awesome by recording sound files of every possible $option and then loading the correct one.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Did you cleared out the white noise or do I need to send you corrected files? I can make ogg myself, wasn't sure what to use. Good you used "sound=" only in the main story parts. I was about to make all the dialogue between Baran and Alwyn.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Heindal wrote:Did you cleared out the white noise or do I need to send you corrected files? I can make ogg myself, wasn't sure what to use. Good you used "sound=" only in the main story parts. I was about to make all the dialogue between Baran and Alwyn.
No i did not filter out the white noise, but i increased the volume slightly (before you had to turn off the music to hear the dialog at all), also i look forward to hearing the dialogue! :D
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Nah, I will make the story parts first. I will do so this evening. Still have something to do beside that ;).