Lovecraft's Deep Ones (New here)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
johndh

Re: Lovecraft's Deep Ones (New here)

Post by johndh »

Would it make sense for the cultists to evolve into star spawn, or become otherwise Cthulhu-like, as they level up? Otherwise, it might make sense to just include the Dark Adept line from the undead faction, at least for campaign purposes (if that's what this is for).

Based on a conversation I had with our resident Lord of Prose when I was writing some race descriptions, the nagas may have a hidden society (perhaps somewhere out in the ocean) where they worship Lovecraftian gods. With that in mind, I've done a little brainstorming:
Spoiler:
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

johndh wrote:Would it make sense for the cultists to evolve into star spawn, or become otherwise Cthulhu-like, as they level up? Otherwise, it might make sense to just include the Dark Adept line from the undead faction, at least for campaign purposes (if that's what this is for).

Based on a conversation I had with our resident Lord of Prose when I was writing some race descriptions, the nagas may have a hidden society (perhaps somewhere out in the ocean) where they worship Lovecraftian gods. With that in mind, I've done a little brainstorming:
Spoiler:

For ya!
Spoiler:
I might end up choosing the Cthulhu that i have in my profile picture. It's way clearer for the eyes, and more like the actual original drawing!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi Stop signal i personally think the version you have used as your user picture looks the best (small eyes, no highlights)!! You have done a really good job! :D

Also as johndh i think he has some good ideas, maybe the naga and deep ones are related somehow? That might be good so that their are more units in the deep ones faction! Maybe naga are a variation of deepones that is less human and more reptile, or maybe they are just allies that both leave out in the deep sea?
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Hahahaha, it's indeed quite fun to think about huh? How would the nagas behave in a world where deep ones exist? Their description do say that they are hunted by creatures of the deep, after all. But being of the water, they can still pray to the old gods. Huh! Man, a lot of stuff can be done with that!

If we do need more units, we can totally use some modified nagas. But a bit more fishlike maybe, though that should be easy!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Stopsignal wrote:Hahahaha, it's indeed quite fun to think about huh? How would the nagas behave in a world where deep ones exist? Their description do say that they are hunted by creatures of the deep, after all. But being of the water, they can still pray to the old gods. Huh! Man, a lot of stuff can be done with that!

If we do need more units, we can totally use some modified nagas. But a bit more fishlike maybe, though that should be easy!
Yeah! And i really like what you have done with the cthulhu (its a good user picture)! :D
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

The_Gnat wrote: @vyncyn - I agree, when the cultist does get created a plague power might be good, but according to lovecraft people turn into deepones because fishpeople breed with humans also if it does have plague that would create zombies (which wouldnt be appropriate) maybe instead the cultist could poison or hypnotize enemies?
Theoretically you could use {WEAPON_SPECIAL_PLAGUE_TYPE TYPE} which can turn enemies into any unit type you want(so not only zombies). Though poison is the better option if you want to keep it close to the Lovecraft myth. If you want cultist to "hypnotize" a zombie plage with adequate desciption ("cultist can turn creatures into mindless zombies once their willpower(hp) drops enough") could work (though you would have to create a new "zombie" unit that does not have plague attack).
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Thinking about it, poison would be a great addition. I have started using the units as some kind of hit and run attacker. As they aren't very good when surrounded and they aren't good at defending points and also they hide on water, it's just their natural way of playing. They also make awesome spies.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

What about this, i've shrunken the tree a little renamed some of the units and added in your new images:

EDIT:
deepones-tree.png
Comments still welcome. Also along with these deepones i think to expand the faction so that it is more interesting i will add on naga. It doesn't really fit the story but since when do dwarves live near enough the coast to fight deepones? ^_^ And that can happen so i think it is fine to bend the rules a little ;) for now.

Also @Stopsignal - maybe you could add some teamcolor to the cthulhu. It doesn't really matter though.
Last edited by The_Gnat on November 23rd, 2016, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

I'll try! It will be complicated though. I was thinking Cthulhu more for the Hunter variant, as some kind of third level maybe? Like, i wasn't thinking of adding them as units, but now that you do it it actually looks like an awesome idea!

Dagon should be for the third Warrior, or second. I gotta sprite it though! I don't think i'll sprite something today -man, this day was quite the awesome, tiring ride- but tomorrow definetly! Along with the Hunter stare. I do think hunters need poison in their attack, for the blitzkrieg kind of play, but maybe down their life a bit? Do not take the marsh hide however! It's so fun. At least for now. Until better and more concise balance is required!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Stopsignal wrote:I'll try! It will be complicated though. I was thinking Cthulhu more for the Hunter variant, as some kind of third level maybe? Like, i wasn't thinking of adding them as units, but now that you do it it actually looks like an awesome idea!

Dagon should be for the third Warrior, or second. I gotta sprite it though! I don't think i'll sprite something today -man, this day was quite the awesome, tiring ride- but tomorrow definetly! Along with the Hunter stare. I do think hunters need poison in their attack, for the blitzkrieg kind of play, but maybe down their life a bit? Do not take the marsh hide however! It's so fun. At least for now. Until better and more concise balance is required!
Sounds like a good idea! I will add a poison attack and reupload the add-on. Also i have changed the cthulhu in the tree.

NEW VERSION: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44834&p=605117#p605117

EDIT: would it be appropriate to stick some naga into this add-on faction Stopsignal, or would you like to keep it exclusively deep-ones?
Last edited by The_Gnat on November 23rd, 2016, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Man, you are great. And if you want to! Until we have lots more units I guess, at the end I would like it to be a deep one pack, but for now, lets have fun and experiment! :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Stopsignal wrote:Man, you are great. And if you want to! Until we have lots more units I guess, at the end I would like it to be a deep one pack, but for now, lets have fun and experiment! :D
Thanks :D Also do you think it is fine to upload it as a add-on to the add-on server as well that way people start downloading it more?

EDIT: I think i will fill it with naga so that it is functional as an add-on and then as we make more deepones we can remove the naga

EDIT 2: actually now looking at the naga tree that is overdoing it :lol: i will just add the normal naga as a recruiting option (the tree has been removed ;) )
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Sure go ahead! Tonight i work on those drawings! I am thinking some ideas already in my head, hahahah
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I tried a version of the unit tree. Sorry about the messing around.
I tried to write a few things by hand.
If there is an arrow, it means I would use the sprite/feature in that position.
Some of the things I tried wording before.
Spoiler:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Wussel wrote:I tried a version of the unit tree. Sorry about the messing around.
I tried to write a few things by hand.
If there is an arrow, it means I would use the sprite/feature in that position.
Some of the things I tried wording before.
Looks good to me, but it is Stopsignals era so i will wait to see what he thinks! :D

EDIT: the only problem is that the dweller is too small to be a lvl 1 unit, but we can always get another picture.