Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:What sort of animation are we talking about here? I was thinking the fountains and swirls on the top of the towers, and some small sparkles or wiggles on the straight parts, which wouldn't involve anything special and there could be non-animated sections.
Yes, only those.

I don't think my previous idea of reversing the keep-to-castle images makes sense after all, so I think the remaining options are:

1. Simply animate the current tiles. For the aforementioned reasons, I'm not really a fan of this idea, since that's going to require a huge pile of images even if you leave some select sections unanimated.
2. Leave the straight parts unanimated, but create separate fountain/swirl images which can be placed on top of the towers by the same corner method as the aquatic camp keep stone posts are.
3. Animate the water with palette cycling (color cycling, palette shifting, palette rotation...). That is, re-paint the water with a fixed palette in such a way that it animates nicely when that palette is cycled, which I think could be accomplished with ~PAL and/or ~RC.

That last one is something I just came up with right now, and I'm not yet even completely sure if it'd work. I also haven't really worked with palette cycling myself so I can't say how hard it would be to actually draw something like that.

P.S. I've been kind of busy trying to implement support for optional macro arguments because that'd really help with a lot of this terrain graphics work.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've opened a PR for some straight wall variations: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/875
For now, it only has wooden walls that are probably mine walls (terrain code Xom). I also plan to make a plaster/whitewash wall (Xoi), for interior walls that aren't part of a gloomy castle.
Here is a screen-shot of the wooden walls:
Spoiler:
----------------------------------------------
zookeeper wrote:1. Simply animate the current tiles. For the aforementioned reasons, I'm not really a fan of this idea, since that's going to require a huge pile of images even if you leave some select sections unanimated.
OK.
zookeeper wrote:2. Leave the straight parts unanimated, but create separate fountain/swirl images which can be placed on top of the towers by the same corner method as the aquatic camp keep stone posts are.
That would make life easier, and probably wouldn't look too bad. Let's go with that as the fall-back method, if we can't come up with something better.
zookeeper wrote:3. Animate the water with palette cycling (color cycling, palette shifting, palette rotation...). That is, re-paint the water with a fixed palette in such a way that it animates nicely when that palette is cycled, which I think could be accomplished with ~PAL and/or ~RC.

That last one is something I just came up with right now, and I'm not yet even completely sure if it'd work. I also haven't really worked with palette cycling myself so I can't say how hard it would be to actually draw something like that.
I don't know either, but is there anything wrong with using ~BLIT()? Then we can just have some 3-frame-animation little squiggles carefully crafted pixels slapped onto the castle images, they can be reused wherever the walls are aligned.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:
zookeeper wrote:3. Animate the water with palette cycling (color cycling, palette shifting, palette rotation...). That is, re-paint the water with a fixed palette in such a way that it animates nicely when that palette is cycled, which I think could be accomplished with ~PAL and/or ~RC.

I don't know either, but is there anything wrong with using ~BLIT()? Then we can just have some 3-frame-animation little squiggles carefully crafted pixels slapped onto the castle images, they can be reused wherever the walls are aligned.
Sure, we could just make separate overlay animations and place them with ~BLIT (or with separate rules, perhaps).

Anyway, I did make a simple little proof-of-concept, which actually does work in-game (and wasn't difficult at all):
Attachments
The cycling part has 4 colors, and thus it animates to 4 frames
The cycling part has 4 colors, and thus it animates to 4 frames
aquatic_keep_color_cycling.gif (6.56 KiB) Viewed 6357 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

amazing :D nice to see how much 1.14 is going to come packed with
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Makes it look a bit like an aqueduct (plus the fountain on the corner). Though, I'm not clear on the steepness of that slope. In any case, the animation looks good.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote:Anyway, I did make a simple little proof-of-concept, which actually does work in-game (and wasn't difficult at all):
Looks nice, though I'm also unsure about the slope on the straight part. Is color-cycling less resource-intensive or something, what's the reason for it? Is there a specific color table I should use?
---------------------------------------
I've updated the walls variation PR:
Spoiler:
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

In a theoretical hardware-accelerated Wesnoth, colour-cycling would probably be less resource intensive. As it currently stands, it should be about the same as if the frames were each a separate image on disk. At most there'd be a slight difference at load time, but I have no idea whether that would be better or worse than having them as separate images.

However, having fewer image files does help keep Wesnoth's download size lower, so there's that.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:Looks nice, though I'm also unsure about the slope on the straight part. Is color-cycling less resource-intensive or something, what's the reason for it? Is there a specific color table I should use?
No reason aside from not needing separate images for animations (which I think is a pretty big boon). It actually works really easily:

1. Put this inside [color_palette] at the end of data/core/team-colors.cfg:

Code: Select all

water_blue_1=334A77,3D5480,566A91,6F81A2
    water_blue_2=6F81A2,334A77,3D5480,566A91
    water_blue_3=566A91,6F81A2,334A77,3D5480
    water_blue_4=3D5480,566A91,6F81A2,334A77
2. Append ~PAL(water_blue_1 > water_blue_[1~4]:200) to the image path (I've tested this by simply editing NEW:CASTLEWALL).
3. Sample the colors from the above hex values, or from the attached image.
4. Paint the parts you don't want to have any color cycling with other shade(s) of blue.

Of course, you don't need to actually use my palette, you can come up with your own. However, I do think 4 colours works nicely at this scale; 5 seems like it would be overkill, and 3 might work but is probably much harder to make look smooth.

Now, if you want to do this, please don't worry about the WML or making a PR at all. I'm currently refactoring some of the macro internals so a simple image dump would be perfect.
Attachments
keep-convex-tr-cycle.png
keep-convex-tr-cycle.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sorry I've left the fountains moldering here, I do mean to do something with it at some point...

In the mean time, I've made what I think are some improvements to the gates/portals/doors. We'd tried to have one terrain code per portal (rusty gate, open wooded door, etc.) and the orientation would be automatic, but after stepping away from it for a while, I came back to find it pretty annoying to use. I've got a PR here: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/1839 and it has some minor improvements, but most important is that it allows map-maker to control the orientation, just like the bridges. Unlike the bridges, it doesn't have elbows and tees, because I think the concept is not realistic, and you can always just use a wall terrain, like in the lower-left of this
screen-shot:
The N-S facing images are still a bit problematic, but they are useful in some circumstances.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great, when using the editor in 1.13 i saw this new edition it is a really good idea! It is nice that it is being completed now good work! :D
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've uploaded a ruined or sinister version of encampment to github, I thought such a thing would be useful. This is the PR:
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/1923
screenshot
Screenshot_ruin_camp.jpg
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

Wow, that ruined encampment looks awesome! Maybe you could also try to make the ruined version of elvish castle?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice! That looks great!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

great! :D finally a version of the encampment that actually fits for undead. by the way, I think it would be nice if you made a ruined version of the tall encampment keep (I forgot what it's called).
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks guys.
ZIM wrote:Maybe you could also try to make the ruined version of elvish castle?
Like a razed castle, or like an old castle "returning to nature"? :hmm:
ForestDragon wrote:I think it would be nice if you made a ruined version of the tall encampment keep (I forgot what it's called).
Maybe, but I think there is less need for it. For established undead facilities, there is the regular ruined castle. This last thing was for "bad-guys on the move".
-------------------------------
Anyhow, in order to feel like I'm being useful while still avoiding work on the unfinished scorpion stuff or the fountains on the aquatic castles, I've got a new floor terrain. I've got a PR here:
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/1936
screenshot
I was trying to avoid just making a square version of the cobbles, but these may be too big/rough. The transitions aren't finished.
light-flagstones_shot.jpg