any one got a good intermediate level undead umc campaign

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

amanII

any one got a good intermediate level undead umc campaign

Post by amanII »

i just beat the eastern invasion and attempted descent into darkness next.However i tried the first few scenarios and hated them.anyone got a good undead campaign to take on instead(preferably for 1.12).
The_Gnat

Re: any one got a good intermediate level undead umc campaig

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi amanII, I've had a look at the addon database and 'Only Death Behind', and 'Danse Macabre' seem like good undead campaigns, though i haven't played either yet. You also could try invasion from the unknown but that isn't really an undead campaign.

Hope this helps!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Secrets of the Ancients has very good gameplay. I'm not sure you'd call it intermediate level though.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Undead UMC campaigns? Here's the list and a brief description for each:
  1. Invasion from the Unknown
    You start with elves but can recruit undead from the third scenario onwards and the undead are the units that are most useful in the campaign. Epic Story and one of the best Wesnoth's UMC library has to offer.
  2. After the Storm
    Best UMC add-on in existence (that's what I think of it). Do I need to say more?
  3. Danse Macabre
    Undead campaign. You are a zombie and you want revenge on the lich that turned you into one. Expert Level
  4. Only Death Behind
    Never played it, but it has gotten positive reviews so give it a whirl.
  5. Secrets of the Ancients
    I recommend this one. Centres around a mage as she unravels all the secrets of Necromancy. The ending scenario is a bit tough though.
  6. Legend of the Invincibles
    Really....I mean Really long campaign. Holds the record for longest campaign ever. Scenario objects are not diverse though and gets nightmarishly difficult on reaching chapter 7.
  7. Undead Empire
    Never tried it. Description says it's a Single player version of the ANL multiplayer scenario.
  8. Northern Rebirth Remake
    Starts from the first three scenarios and then moves to the undead branch of the mainline campaign.
  9. Girl unDead
    Never tried it. Upstart necromancer tries to take over kingdom #ExplainAPlotVeryBadly
  10. Aldur the Great
    Never tried it. Maybe an undead campaign
  11. Ghostly Calls
    Undead campaign. Medium length.
And, these are all the ones I could find from the 1.12 add-on server.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Undead UMC campaigns? Here's the list and a brief description for each:
  1. Girl unDead
    Never tried it. Upstart necromancer tries to take over kingdom #ExplainAPlotVeryBadly
correction: it's about a girl who is killed by spiders/swamp monsters, becomes a zombie, and has to flee from her home. i won't spoil the rest
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
amanII

Post by amanII »

okay maybe i should've mentioned why i didn't like descent into darkness before.it was bull**** to have to wait until the 4th scenario to get skeletons and even worse to have to wait until the 5th scenario to get dark adepts :evil: .legend of wesmere does this to an extent but it is WAY worse in descent into darkness.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

okay maybe i should've mentioned why i didn't like descent into darkness before.it was bull**** to have to wait until the 4th scenario to get skeletons and even worse to have to wait until the 5th scenario to get dark adepts :evil: .legend of wesmere does this to an extent but it is WAY worse in descent into darkness.
I do not mean to sound offensive, but the key aspect of the campaign DiD is to put you into the shoes of a person who has just begun to unravel the secrets of necromancy. So, you start with the simplest ones and move on to more advanced units (well, lvl 1's since giving you lvl 2 recruits is a bit of an overkill). Hence, your impatient play-style is not satisfied by DiD. Unfortunately for you, most of the campaigns (SotA gives you skeletons early in game as far as I recall) in my aforementioned list are all like DiD. You start with level zeros or just one or two lvl 1's... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Lord-Knightmare's right , u know.... I feel you are missing the point of these campaigns. Like he said, in most of the undead UMC campaigns u start with very weak recruits and as your necromancy powers grow , your recruit list expands..This is because in most of these campaigns, the first part of the story is basically about why the MC chooses the dark side (pun intended) and then his or her journey to master necromancy.
But if are patient enough to blitz through these first few scenarios(which are usually very simple and easy) u will soon be able to recruit the stronger units like skeletons/ghosts and the storyline and gameplay will become much more interesting. I have played most of the campaigns mentioned in the list and i would recommend SotA because its my favourite undead campaign and Danse Macabre because u get to use level 4 and level 5 ultra powerful zombies... IfTU and AtS are not something u should play now. Its better to finish UtBS and most of the other mainline campagins before u try out Shadowm's masterpieces because they are VERY difficult!!
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
amanII

Post by amanII »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
I do not mean to sound offensive, but the key aspect of the campaign DiD is to put you into the shoes of a person who has just begun to unravel the secrets of necromancy. So, you start with the simplest ones and move on to more advanced units (well, lvl 1's since giving you lvl 2 recruits is a bit of an overkill). Hence, your impatient play-style is not satisfied by DiD. Unfortunately for you, most of the campaigns (SotA gives you skeletons early in game as far as I recall) in my aforementioned list are all like DiD. You start with level zeros or just one or two lvl 1's... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
okay i get that it has significance in the plot of did but it hurts the gameplay by a lot. you see playing undead without skeletons and dark adepts is like playing chess without rooks or bishops or like playing loyalists without spearmen/heavy infantrymen.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

amanII wrote:okay i get that it has significance in the plot of did but it hurts the gameplay by a lot. you see playing undead without skeletons and dark adepts is like playing chess without rooks or bishops or like playing loyalists without spearmen/heavy infantrymen.
Well if you Really REALLY want to play with skeletons and adepts right away you could always (pretty easily) modify your recruitment list.

> Just find the addon you have downloaded in my games/wesnoth/data/addons/(ADDON) and then open it
> go to scenarios
> open scenario 1
> search the file for the word recruit= (make sure your modifying side=1)
> add at the end of the recruit list ,skeleton,dark adept,skeleton archer
> save the file !
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

you see playing undead without skeletons and dark adepts is like playing chess without rooks or bishops or like playing loyalists without spearmen/heavy infantrymen.
They don't play undead....problem solved. :P
Well if you Really REALLY want to play with skeletons and adepts right away you could always (pretty easily) modify your recruitment list.

> Just find the addon you have downloaded in my games/wesnoth/data/addons/(ADDON) and then open it
> go to scenarios
> open scenario 1
> search the file for the word recruit= (make sure your modifying side=1)
> add at the end of the recruit list ,skeleton,dark adept,skeleton archer
> save the file !
Yeah, Amanil can do that. All he needs is to modify the recruit list of the first scenario and add all the undead lvl 1 recruits. He can also add "ENABLE_ANCIENT_LICH" in the extra defines.