Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

Ok, here's another one.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Version 0.1.4 is now on the campaign server

changes:
-changed generic MAP macro name to campaign specific DESERTMAP
-put DESERTMAP macro in #ifdef
-fixed typos
-fixed holy water event
-fixed bug of Elyssa encounter appearing off the right hand edge of the map

On the subject of cleaning up my campaign.cfg file:

I tried putting the include misc folder line:
{@campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/misc}
inside the #ifdef CAMPAIGN_DESERT section, but for some reason it caused the files inside the misc folder not to load. I know becuase my unit creation macros failed. What i don't understand is why these files will load fine when the line is outside of the #ifdef section, but not inside... Since I define CAMPAIGN_DESERT about 10 lines before the #ifdef CAMPAIGN_DESERT section, it shouldn't matter which side I put the include misc folder clause in. But since it does, I'm keeping the include misc folder section outside of the #ifdef for now. But including the MAP macro inside the #ifdef and renaming it should prevent other compaigns from conflicting with mine.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

scott wrote:Ok, here's another one.
Saw that myself an hour ago and it's fixed in 0.1.4. The box character was created by an errant tab in the middle of the message.

Edit: I just did a double take when I realized a scorpion was saying that dialogue. Good thing you posted the picture. I'm uploading a second copy of 0.1.4 five minutes after I uploaded the first, so only the fastest people need to download it again. Anyway, it's not like it's a scenario breaking bug. Thanks though.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sangel wrote:Well, I've just finished the campaign (what there is of it so far), and I can honestly say that it's my favourite Wesnoth Campaign yet, trumping my prior picks (HttT and TRoW). This is mostly due to the style of the campaign; dialogue-and-event heavy "questing" rather than straightforward "here's the situation, go fight" tactical combat.
I definitely think this campaign has excellent potential.
Sangel wrote: It also highlights the need for a "Change Scenario Objectives" event, which changes the listed scenario objectives to a new string.
Yeah, this'd be nice. It also might be nice to have a way to 'formally' display a scenario's custom rules.
Sangel wrote: As a matter of interest, are you in need of any artwork? I'm already tempted to modify the Elvish graphics so that the "Desert Elves" are dressed in amber and ochre, and the new, long/short day/night cycle could probably use some distinctive graphics to make it clear exactly where in the cycle you are.
I think that this campaign really needs and deserves custom graphics. It'd be nice to have time-of-day images that reflect the campaign's two suns, as well as showing the landscape in the time-of-day images as desert.

It'd also be very nice to have a fresh set of graphics for the 'desert elves'.

With some loving attention, this could become a very, very nice campaign.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Shade

Competion I see

Post by Shade »

Competion with the mainline scenarios I see, Muh ha ha ha :twisted: Well actually, good work! Now I'm really going to have to find the time to play this. I hope you find all of the resources you need to get this campaign done, and done well :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
pravin

Post by pravin »

I finished the entire campaign on easy. It was a lot of fun. Really well done. I especially liked the diary-kind of narraration at the beginning of each scenario.

Looking forward to the updates with more scenarios :D

p.s I couldnt use the holy water either, but I think that was cause I was using the older version.
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks pravin. If you restart the second scenario, you should be able to use the holy water. And it probably makes the third scenario easily.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Tried version 0.1.4, but it seems to still have problems with the custom content:

error display: could not get image for terrrain 'z'
error display: could not find image for report: 'elvish-hunter.png'
error display: could not find image for report: 'misc/schedule-dawn-moonless.png'

Using wesnoth 0.8.9.

Edit: actually none of the custom art is showing, including the difficulty images, the campaign intro image etc
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Frame (and anyone else who can't see custom art):

If you copy the contents of my campaign image folder into the main wesnoth image folder, does this allow you to see the custom images in the campaign? Even if for some reason it isn't searching the campaign image folder for images, Wesnoth should at least be searching it's own image folder, so if you move the images there, they should appear. I know this is an ugly hack at best, but I'd love confirmation from frame, or someone else, that this actually works. I haven't given up on this issue, I remember how much I hated it when I couldn't see custom art in Blades of Exile and Avernum scenarios.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

I have no problem with the graphics, at least not the elvish-hunter ones. I got one error:

error display: could not find image for report: 'misc/schedule-dawn-moonless.png'

but that is a correct error; the times of day tell the game to look in images/misc when it is actually in images/misc/time.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I will fix that tonight IP and post an update as soon as I can.
tkilian

Post by tkilian »

I really liked this campaign. I'd agree, it's one of my favorites so far.

I think the last scenarior "A stirring in the night" is a bit easy, once you know the "plot" of the scenario. I can beat that one very easily.

On "across the harsh sands" when the final Ogre was killed, it was killed by a skelleton archer. so the dialog box announcing "they won't be bothering us anymore" was from a skeleton, and not an ally.
Deathtenks

Post by Deathtenks »

On the second scenario My leader dies on my second turn...Do I have to move him to the Oasis or what? All he does is take 8 Damage from the Sand effect and dies...Can you tell me what is wromng :?
Victory to those who do not fear death!
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Deathtenks: yes, go to the campaign server and download the newest version. There was a bug in an older version that killed off Kaleh instantly. It's not your fault.

Tkilian: Thanks, I fixed it so that it will only display the victory speech if an elf kills the last ogre. I was intending scenario 3 to be quite difficult, and was worried that it would be too hard. What difficulty were you on? How much gold did you have going into it? Even better, can you pm me your replay of the level (and tell me which version of the campaign you were running?). I didn't intend it to be easy, even if you knew what was going to happen.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Realeased: Version 0.1.5

Edit: Version 0.1.5 is now available from the campaig server

Changes:

-added Error check for ogres in scenario 2 to keep them from being created off the edge of map
-added Error check so that when the last ogre is killed, a victory message is only spoken if player killed the ogre
-added grassland to oasis in scenario 2, and added messages to remind players that they can heal in them
-added comment in Scenario 1 prodding player to investigate keep
-fixed broken links for moonless dawn and dusk images