1.12+ mod: pick your recruits, no preparation turn.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gfgtdf
Developer

1.12+ mod: pick your recruits, no preparation turn.

Post by gfgtdf »

This is the feedback thread of my 'Pick your recruits. No preparation turn' add on.

This mod supports wesnoth 1.14 and 1.12 but onyl the 1.14 version is actively developed.

This mod allows you to freely pick your recruits recruitlist at the start of the game, unlike other 'pick your recruits' addons it shows a custom dialog at the start of the game and doesn't need one turn to do so. This has multiple advatages:
1) All players choose their recruitlist at the same time, so player 2 doesn't have to wait until player 1 finished picking his recuit before player 2 picks his recruits, this makes choosing your recruits faster.
2) This makes it compatible with scenarios that use turn events, recruit events or turn limits. In particular it's even possible to use this on most sp campaigns in wesnoth 1.13

Feel free so post suggestions about this addon here.

You can also find the source code on github https://github.com/gfgtdf/PYR_No_Preperation_Turn

Original post:
Spoiler:
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Horus2

Re: 1.13.x mod, pyr no preperation turn needed.

Post by Horus2 »

gfgtdf wrote:Hi i this week wrote an addon pyr no preperation turn needed.
This adon shows a unit selection dialog at the beginning of the game (in the start event) for every side.
One side of this is to test new 1.13 features, but also i wrote this addon becasue the preperation turn made previous pyr mod incompatible with scenarios that use turn .. events.

I know that most preople here don't use a 1.13-dev version but i'd still be happy if someone who does could playtest this mod.
PYR faction making mechanism is going on the road of getting official? Of course i'm going to test it! Even if i'm a bit tied up momentarily.
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: 1.11.13+ mod, pyr no preperation turn needed.

Post by gfgtdf »

Horus2 wrote: PYR faction making mechanism is going on the road of getting official? Of course i'm going to test it! Even if i'm a bit tied up momentarily.
no its not, this addon just uses some sync mechanisms that are new in 1.13 which i implemented that allow code things like all players get concurrently dialogs for example during the start event.

i am currently thinking on how to do it without using the 1.13 features to make a 1.12 version of it, so that will only require version 1.11.13+

the dialog is a gui2 dialog implemented in lua. It currently looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/0kMwUwS.jpg

EDIT: ok i uploaded 1.11.13+ version too
(its rather hacky and uses a lot of get/set_global_variable to emulate 1.13 features)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: 1.11.13+ mod, pyr no preparation turn needed.

Post by gfgtdf »

new version 0.4.1 uploaded
this version adds a "Fill Random" button that chooses random units for you.
this version adds some internal code improvements.
Spoiler:
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

New version 1.1 uploaded, that adds a new 'Original recruitlist' pool type.
changle log since 0.4.1:
- Added 'Original recruitlist' pool type.
- Fixed errors when the era specifies invalid recruits unit ids.
- Removed 'Fog Clearer' from fallback unit list.
- Some dialogs cleanups in case of a low unit number.
- Fixed 'PYR No Preperation Turn was not loaded correctly' warning appearing on wesnoth 1.12.x
- Fixed error when finding a unit with an invalid race.
- Added notification if unit pool 'all' is used.
- Fixed UI bugs for people who don't have the addon installed
- Fixed warning about trying to read the pbl file
- Added an option to only show the unit selection in the first scenario.
- more entropy for sync choice workaround
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Hooray! \o/ thanks for doing it.
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: 1.12+ mod: pick your recruits, no preparation turn.

Post by gfgtdf »

Uploaded a new version 1.2 to the 1.13 server. This version requires at least wesnoth version 1.13.7 for older wesnoth version please use the adddon from the 1.12 server instead. Note however, that due to a bug in wesnoth 1.13.5 - 1.13.8 the choose units dialog will appear delayed for other players than the host. So it is reccomended to play this with the latest wesnoth git master.

The main features of version 1.2 are:
  1. Fixed some deprecation warnings
  2. Improved unit preview pane now shows units attack abilities etc with tooltips.
  3. Improved wait notification: instead of having those messages in th eupper-left corner the game now only shows waiting messages if it is actually waiting.
  4. Fixed behviour in case that a player left during the choose unit dialog.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Uploaded version 1.3 to the 1.14 server. This version requires 1.13.13 since wesnoth 1.13.13 has a bug fixed that prevented chatting from working during [delay]. Version 1.3 fixes what i think was the biggest problem with this mod: the inability to chat during unit selection. It adds a button 'view map' the hides te dialog for a while and shows just the normal map. You can also chat with other players in that state.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Uploaded version 1.4 to the 1.14 server, this version adds a 'Recently Picked' dialog that shows you the units that you picked in the last few games to make finding your favourite units easier.
hay207
Double Style Tourney #1 Champ

Post by hay207 »

Hi, thanks for addon, While using addon in wc2, i noticed AI also gets only 5 recruits, can this be changed?
Ports: Velensk's tower defense, dov's deep shrine, Scrolling survival, Scrolling survival Co-op, Temples of the nagas.
Addons: Tower defense maps , some ANL scenarios like: ANL 3p "A New Land" survival type, and ANL Co-operative map for 2p
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

hay207 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 7:32 am Hi, thanks for addon, While using addon in wc2, i noticed AI also gets only 5 recruits, can this be changed?
Yes, this addon has a checkbox on the configuration screen (click "custom options" in the create game dialog where you select the map after you selected this mod). Check the checkbox "preserve AI recruitlist" then this mod will not change the ais recruitlist (this works for all campaigns not only WCII).

You can also click "choose units once" if you don't want to have the options to reselect your untis at every new map. Furthermore you can select the size of your recruitlist there (its 5 by default but you can give yourself more flexibility, by increasing the limit or makign it really challengine by only allowing one unit )
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

This addon is now updated to be compatible with wesnoth 1.16 and uploaded to the 1.16 addon server.