The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deciton_Reven

Re: The Era of Myths 5.16.0

Post by Deciton_Reven »

There is that possibility, however it might look out of place even if I did, unless I just draw over it. My style just can't match up the same, do to my lack of anti-aliasing. If I can help it I'd like to not use actual parts of the sprites anyways, just use them as inspiration.

I do believe all three of those caimpaigns were part of the Dragon Wars trilogy, but I should only need to refresh myself on the windsong part, even though I did play and enjoy Kromire. As it's likely my campaign will be in a different time/place only their important history and habits and such need some constancy.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Hmm, ...
A third option would be to make a stronger Savant sprite. Having no weapon in the sprite, but anyway a melee attack? Maybe Fists. Ah, it's complicated...
Try out the dark board theme.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Well I had went ahead and tried a Librarian, under the logic my style is already present in some of the max level stuff, and it might look weird going from one style to the next and then back again, but I'll see if I can't do that as well, so we have some options.

I tried to keep a similar pose, while making her bigger/older. I gave her clothing fur lining and some extra pattern to distinguish her while making her hair longer, and going even more ham with her floating hair crystal things that the windsong like so much. I gave her a little bigger and more wicked scythe to show improved damage, and made her book open, because at level 4 she's just going to read on the battlefield as she tears through the opposition without batting an eye in my head canon. Optionally I also included a version with a set of half-frame glasses, which can add to the older/wiser trope, and is a good cliche for a librarian anyways.

ImageImage

But yeah, I can try a level 3 savant, I mean I think the design of the Runeforger is kinda the ideal level 3 savant design already, but here is definitely room between the level 2 savant and the current scythe wielder to try something at least.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Just to quickly introduce some background since there seems to be some questions.

I wrote Count Kromire after I became maintainer of EoM. I later went back and rebalanced it after many things in EoM were reverted to how they were before I was maintainer. I consider it complete.

Several months after I wrote Count Kromire I started War of the Dragon which starts out as a windsong campaign (though you never team up with devlings). I never finished War of the Dragon. There are a number of reasons why I never finished it but one of them is that the campaign was difficult enough that I had trouble play testing it, and the EoM revisions happened in the middle of me playing through a new section I'd created. At that point I didn't feel like going through the whole thing over again.

Another user created a devling campaign which I thought was somewhat poorly done. I never finished it (and in fact am not sure whether it is finished).

TBH: I have no idea if the original creator of the windsong liked the lore I invited for them at all. I invented all the lore from my stories (including the idea that windsong abduct girls in order to have recruits) out of whole cloth with some attention the the unit descriptions. There is no real solid cannon that you need to follow and I'm certainly not going to be bothered by anyone taking EoM a completely different direction than I had envisioned.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

Velensk, I'm fond of your lore for the Windsong, and I'm grateful you when ahead and established a base to grow the lore off of. I'm more than happy using most if not all of what you've established for what I'm doing, so don't worry.

As for the Arbiter-Scribe, this is what I came up with:
I have her holding a smaller scythe out in front of her, hopefully conveying less confidence with it. As well I added a smaller ponytail so that it can grow yet again when she turns into the Librarian. I went mostly off of the savant's clothing's color sceme, but started to place in the lighter bits and changing the design a bit more to the Librarian's dress. I didn't know what to do with the hair crystal things so I just did some anything with them to make them bigger. The biggest problem was with size. The current arbiter/librarian is only 2 pixels taller than the Savant, but some how I managed to make this one only 1 pixel taller, making it fit dangerously snug in between the two. Still they are very close size wise.

I can try to tweak any of the sprites to your liking, or you can use any of them as you see fit, either way I'll be lurking around.
Shiki
Developer

Re: The Era of Myths 5.17.0

Post by Shiki »

Era of Myths 5.17.0 is now available!

a short overview:
- many new animations for the devlings, made by ChaosRider
- new sprite in post above from Deciton_Reven
- animations of units with no own images are longer, like the khailfate animations.
- the quest of refactoring slowly reaches it's end. If you have some common units with EoM, have a look.

more details:

Code: Select all

VERSION 5.17.0

--general changes
*standard unit animations are now longer, like the Kalifate ones.
*more use of localized strings for attacks
*changed profile picture locations
*the Era of Myths can now be used in the map editor
*added unit-group icons for all races (for editor & debug mode in 1.13)

-Celestials
*Messenger line got undead_variation=drake
*Herald needs 180 xp

-Devlings
*new unit: Little Ninja, advancement of Lurker
*new animations for Sneak, Lurker, Ninja, Warrior and Hero
*new attack icon: trident-2
*dummy animations for the Flapper, Flyer and Attacker
*changed movement costs 2 -> 1 and defense 20% -> 50% on ice for them
*Overgrowns + advancements: changed castle defense 50% -> 60%
*Hero: moves 7 -> 6 (like Warrior)

-Elementals
*portrait for the Water Elemental
*Fire Sprite melee 3-1 -> 4-1

-Vampires
*animations for the Bood Manipulator
*Sire needs 180 xp

-Therians
*new fire and ice animation for the magicans

-Warg
*portrait for the wolves

-Windsong
*new sprite for the Arbiter
*Arbiter needs 180 xp
*Skyshard needs 18 xp (maybe still to less)
If somebody wants to work on the EoM too, you are welcome :)
Shiki
Developer

Re: The Era of Myths 5.18

Post by Shiki »

Era of Myths 5.18 is now available!
together with a mappack

Code: Select all

VERSION 5.18.0
--general changes
*no unit uses the deprecated animation syntax anymore
*the eras got better fitting names
*all movetypes have uniqe präfixes

-Devlings
*the Curser line got a secondary arcane attack
*Curser line cost 15->14, 30->29, 47->44, 65->62
*Sneak HP 14->15
*Abusers magic 10-4 -> 11-4

-Elementals
*added many portraits from Rise of the Elementalists
*Earth Elementals got a slightly modified attack icon
*the regenerative abilities work now on modified terrains, too
*regeneration increased to 4 HP
*worsened Fire Wisps movetype - he's not flying yet!
*Fire Ghost needs 2 MP for forests.
*Fire Elementals need 4 instead of 5 MP on water
*Air Elementals and their advancements have now different chances for traits
*changed Tornado Missile (from WoL)

-Celestials
*new shield icons for the Protector and Holy Sentinel
*Messenger and Claimant got moving images (from Trader addon)

-Therians
*lower level cats use catsounds, too
*heal halo for the Shaman and Priest
*Serpent Therian -1 ranged damage
*Hunter line seemed weak

-Wargs
*water dryad line got heal/cure ability
*animation improvements for the higher level water dryads
*fire sprite levelups had too few hp
*reduced main warg line xp
*reduced costs of blackfur, hunter and stalker

-Vampires
*preparations for making vampires undrainable
*in 1.13, vampires are undrainable.
*If you start a campaign with this (or a newer) Myths version in 1.12 and continue it in 1.13+, vampires will become undrainable, too.
*female vampires got different bite sound
*fixed Blood Manipulators animation
*Methusalems range attack: 10-3 -> 8->3
*Sangel: xp 100 -> 150, wipe 20-2 -> 19-2

-Windsong
*seeker line should be 60% flat
It also includes the changes from the yesterday released Ageless Era.
Velensk made once (wesnoth 1.5 times) a mappack. It's now available again.

It contains 5 maps:
  • 2p — Devils Plate -> a devilish looking map
  • 2p — Emperors Garden
  • 2p — Shrine of the Moon
  • 4p — Broken Legacy -> a two teams map
  • 4p — Lunatics Fringe -> a small, but not too small, all vs all map with 8 keeps
Originally, it contained 4p — Ruins of Terra-Dwelve too, but that found it's way into mainline.
The translation of the mappack contains only 17 strings, if somebody wants to translate them. ;)
Attachments
wesnoth-EoM_Maps.pot
(2.7 KiB) Downloaded 560 times
taptap

Post by taptap »

Vampire plague description is wrong. It looks like the default plague description, but should really be tweaked similar as in necromancers. You raise bloodborn not nobles after all.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Angelonius

Post by Angelonius »

Celestials need a lot of portraits.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

nice sprite there in your avatar, which faction is it from ?
Angelonius

Post by Angelonius »

Eagle_11 wrote:nice sprite there in your avatar, which faction is it from ?
Mine is from Vyncyn's Rashy Era.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Hey Shiki, sorry for the delay at posting the devling balance sugestion feedback, but I had an issue to care of first. So let's begin

Devlings
Didn't take that much to notice that most +lv2 units on this faction are kinda underpowered (even againist default's standards). Well let's explain.

Overgrowns: You can try in this line -10% cold/arcane resistance and maybe 37 -> 38 hp.
Warrior: Apart of softly better cold/arcane resistance, would sugest to give warriors +10% extra impact resistance since their are more strongman. I was going to sugest for extra health but when I noticed he is 6 MP said it was already fine.
Hero: same resistances than Warrior. Maybe a little more health 62 -> 68 more similar to default's loyal guard that moves 6 tiles per turn as well. 180 xp to lv4 is really too much, Try 120 instead (84 xp at 70% modifier)
Grand Hero: Well, he's really more heavy strongman, can deserve +30% impact resistance at lv4, also considering the lot of xp needed would sugest increase his health, maybe to 80 -> 84.
Soldier: Looks kinda underpowered (compared to elvish hero), would improve his ranged damage to at least 6-2; aswell adding him +10% blade resistance. Apart of not forgeting the only -10% cold/arcane resistance.
Chief: distingably underpowered, his main issue is his low health for lv3 fighter standard; would sugest something like 55 -> 62. 180 xp to lv4 is really too much, Try 120 instead (84 xp at 70% modifier)
Grand Chief: At health looks alright. About damage, he's similar than Orcish Warlord which is just lv3. Would sugest making his mele 12-4 to 13-4 and ranged 9-2 to 10-2. Giving to this lv4 a 20% blade resistance and 20% impact resistance.

Nailers: 50% plains defense is a nice stuff but owning only 25 hp is mmmm... hard to define. Apart that buying too many of those would mean too much upkeep... can try health 25 -> 28 or try -1 upkeep at this line with something that specificates this. When nailers were cheaper and lv0, the concept was building some of those somehow cost eficent lv0 units and working devling faction like a swarm of little lv0 units that snowballs by their amount.
Spikers: try some bonus physical resistances at them; fixing a -10% -> 0% to impact. Apart decrease their Era of Hero price from 28 to 24. Their xp value is too high (85 at 100% modifier) try using a value of 53 (37 xp at 70% modifier)
Staplers: need of more health for lv3 to be closer of lv3 standards. Would sugest to make their health 50 -> 60.

Flappers: mmm... cheap scout, but also too low health. Considering their horrible resistances, could you make their health to 24 -> 30?
Flyers: On this line I would decrease weaknesses by removing blade/pierce weaknesses (instead of -10%). So with that low health but 50% def everywhere and flying move type they can suit their role with their current stats. Their xp looks a bit high, would try making it to 70 instead of 78 (100% values).
Atackers: A bit too low health for lv3's standards, try 45 -> 53. Also would sugest to increase their fire resistance to 40% and to decrease their cold resistane to -10%. Resulting in exelent war scouts.

Lurker: Compared to thieves they're ofensively superior, but are more easy to counter ofensively (-20% to arcane & cold but +30% fire resistance while human ones are only +20% arcane resistance); apart of superior physical resistances in the side of devlings ones. They have skirmisher but inferior traits, maybe some health bonus 23 -> 25. So repricing them for the era of hero to 17g would be fine.

Cursers: Would sugest giving them +1 ranged damage (8-2 magical cold & 6-2 magical arcane). With this they would have 80% of Dark Adept ofensive (instead of 70%). Considering they have 26 hp for 14g (while Dark adept have 28) but inferior resistances than normal and 6 movement instead of 5 which counters the lower tier traits from devlings. Looks more rasonable the bonus ranged damage point.
Blaphemist: most underpowered lv2 unit I've seen in much time. Lv1 stats at Lv2. Needs serious fixing:
a) Ranged damage 7-3 -> 9-3 cold magical and 5-3 -> 6-3 arcane magical.
b) Kick damage 2-4 to 3-4 (10 damage points, while most mages are 12)
With those changes this unit is still sub lv2 mage standards. But needs less xp than most mages to lv3.
Offenders: Lv2 stats in lv3 unit, no please. We can sugest something then:
a) Ranged Damage 8-4 to 10-4 cold magical and 6-4 to 7-3 arcane magical.
b) Mele damage 2-5 to 3-5.
c) Resistances sugestion:
Arcane -20% -> -10%
Blade -10% -> 0%
Cold -10% -> 0%
Impact -10% -> 0%
d) XP looks too high, try 130 -> 100.
Well, as explanation of this I could say that clothes in sprite could be an argument to make it more closer to lv3 standards. Their ranged damage is like lv2.5 mage damage.
Abusers: Lv4 units with lv3 mage damage, mmm.... let's make them stronger.
a) Ranged damage 11-4 to 13-4 cold magical & arcane magical 9-4 -> 10-4.
b) Mele damage 3-5 to 4-5
c) Resistances improvements from lv3 -> lv4: 0% -> 20% to cold and -10% -> 0% to arcane.
With this, we now have a unit with lv4 stats, requiring some less xp than mage line. But being weaker every time if they are found in the same level.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

ok, added that all, for now just for to Ageless Era (I suppose I have no time for an Era of Myths release in the next time..) Let's see how it works out.
Angelonius wrote:Celestials need a lot of portraits.
Well, yes. I thought about If I could find some free licensed angel pictures for the messenger line, but I just found nothing fitting ... If you find something, please tell me.
We have some semi-portraits for the profile picture now. (but also only in ageless for the time beeing)
taptap wrote:Vampire plague description is wrong. It looks like the default plague description, but should really be tweaked similar as in necromancers. You raise bloodborn not nobles after all.
True, I never noticed. Will change that.
Angelonius

Post by Angelonius »

Shiki wrote:
Angelonius wrote:Celestials need a lot of portraits.
Well, yes. I thought about If I could find some free licensed angel pictures for the messenger line, but I just found nothing fitting ... If you find something, please tell me.
We have some semi-portraits for the profile picture now. (but also only in ageless for the time beeing)
I'm planning to ask my schoolmates over this as well. The Quester is someone that needs portraits.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Angelonius wrote:I'm planning to ask my schoolmates over this as well. The Quester is someone that needs portraits.
That would be absolutely awesome.