I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby CalculusKing » April 5th, 2016, 9:31 am

This is my first forum post - been a lurker for a while now. Using an extreme Father Morvin / Sister Thera resurrection cheese, I was able to kill Rakshas in "An Old Friend." This is on nightmare difficulty. I am aware that this has been done before on hard, but not to my knowledge has anyone done this on nightmare (and the last replay I can find is years old anyway), so I figured I would post it here. Given that this scenario on nightmare is basically just watching red paint dry all over the battlefield as your troops and the enemy slaughter one another, this seems like a good way to have some fun nevertheless.

Edit: attached replay
Attachments
NR-Old_Friend_replay.gz
(116.12 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
User avatar
CalculusKing
 
Posts: 9
Joined: April 5th, 2016, 9:20 am

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby Inky » April 6th, 2016, 2:57 am

That's awesome, nice job!

It's always interesting to see that no matter how impossible the author tries to make a scenario, Wesnoth players will always manage to find some way around it. :D
Commented playthroughs with screenshots:
Let's Play Dead Water, Let's Play Invasion from the Unknown and Let's Play After the Storm (in progress)
User avatar
Inky
Moderator
 
Posts: 451
Joined: September 22nd, 2014, 1:02 am
Location: USA

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby semper » June 29th, 2016, 9:15 am

Hi CalculusKing,

I watched your replay. I am curious, is my copy of your replay corrupt, or did the AI in your mission mainly recruit level 1 archers (on nightmare mode nonetheless?) and did you recruit a ton of level 1 archers as well?

Watching your game, I am seeing a bloodbath of level 1 archers... this is a very different experience than I had when I played the mission (where most of the AI units were level 2 and 3).

Well done, still, in any case!

Edit: Also, unless it is my cope of your replay which is corrupt, you posted the wrong replay because the AI isn't defeated. Could you describe what you did, if you remember?
semper
 
Posts: 4
Joined: December 24th, 2015, 8:39 am

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby Aldarisvet » June 29th, 2016, 10:21 am

When I played that campaign I avoided any of this couple to get killed so I began to know about their immortality relatively late. And even after that I avoided them being killed because I found this ressurection feature illogical, ridiculous and unfair.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see Zombies:Introduction single map campaign
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
User avatar
Aldarisvet
Translator
 
Posts: 609
Joined: February 23rd, 2015, 2:39 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby semper » July 2nd, 2016, 10:24 pm

It adds some humor and takes strategy to adapt to their 'immortality', Aldarisvet.

Also, their immortality is helpful but not enough to make the missions give-aways, due to the difficulty of the missions. I find, even with the couple being immortal, it is still easy to loose your other units-- units you need in order to complete the missions.
semper
 
Posts: 4
Joined: December 24th, 2015, 8:39 am

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby Sudipta » July 6th, 2016, 11:42 am

Yeah. Protecting Camerin is the hardest, since i am always tempted to blow stuff up with great mages
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
User avatar
Sudipta
 
Posts: 138
Joined: June 10th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Location: Meditating under a waterfall, Heartfangs, Wesnoth

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby beetlenaut » July 6th, 2016, 8:27 pm

Aldarisvet wrote:When I played that campaign I avoided any of this couple to get killed so I began to know about their immortality relatively late. And even after that I avoided them being killed because I found this ressurection feature illogical, ridiculous and unfair.
I also avoided getting them killed, so I didn't learn that they were immortal until I saw someone talking about it on the forum. That was on challenging though. It would be really hard to win on nightmare without liberally using their trick. The levels are balanced with immortal magi in mind. (Although "balanced" is kind of a strong word for NR.)
Campaigns: Dead Water
The Founding of Borstep
Secrets of the Ancients
User avatar
beetlenaut
Developer
 
Posts: 2070
Joined: December 8th, 2007, 3:21 am
Location: Washington State

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby semper » July 7th, 2016, 5:09 am

beetlenaut wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote:When I played that campaign I avoided any of this couple to get killed so I began to know about their immortality relatively late. And even after that I avoided them being killed because I found this ressurection feature illogical, ridiculous and unfair.
I also avoided getting them killed, so I didn't learn that they were immortal until I saw someone talking about it on the forum. That was on challenging though. It would be really hard to win on nightmare without liberally using their trick. The levels are balanced with immortal magi in mind. (Although "balanced" is kind of a strong word for NR.)


:lol: It was a fun campaign! The best map was Infested Caves.
semper
 
Posts: 4
Joined: December 24th, 2015, 8:39 am

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby ElderofZion » July 8th, 2016, 11:38 pm

Wow, nice, I tried to finish this campaign on nightmare but I can't get past that orcish fortress, even like 10000 gold killed of orcs doesn't help, the orc horde is just endless lol, the mages resurrection cheese doesn't help that much either, i can't get them close enough to the orc castle to try to kill leaders, maybe finishing that scenario on nightmare is possible but certainly it would require much more tries to do that.

Also about that Rakshas scenario - I had so much fun with that, I had like 10000 gold and I just kept spamming footpads and other cheap units just to get them as fast into combat and as many of them as possible, the gold is not caried to the next scenario so why not try to have fun and do that? It is a nice feeling when you actually can outspam ai on nightmare diff lol
@Elder but we have asked for the disclosure of all the cheese and we treat it seriously. Everyone on this site can get banned, everyone.
@Elder ale prosiliśmy o wyjawianie wszystkich serów i traktujemy to poważnie. Każdy na tej stronie może zostać zbanowany, każdy.

- Sagez
User avatar
ElderofZion
 
Posts: 215
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby pauxlo » September 2nd, 2016, 8:54 pm

ElderofZion wrote:Also about that Rakshas scenario - I had so much fun with that, I had like 10000 gold and I just kept spamming footpads and other cheap units just to get them as fast into combat and as many of them as possible, the gold is not caried to the next scenario so why not try to have fun and do that? It is a nice feeling when you actually can outspam ai on nightmare diff lol


I think this might be the reason you have problems later. The gold is not actually lost, you can get most of it back (that is what the story is about), and then you (and your allies) can use it in the final battle.
User avatar
pauxlo
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: September 19th, 2006, 8:54 pm

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby ElderofZion » March 30th, 2017, 3:29 pm

pauxlo wrote:
ElderofZion wrote:Also about that Rakshas scenario - I had so much fun with that, I had like 10000 gold and I just kept spamming footpads and other cheap units just to get them as fast into combat and as many of them as possible, the gold is not caried to the next scenario so why not try to have fun and do that? It is a nice feeling when you actually can outspam ai on nightmare diff lol


I think this might be the reason you have problems later. The gold is not actually lost, you can get most of it back (that is what the story is about), and then you (and your allies) can use it in the final battle.


Well, maybe but in the final final battle it doesn't matter, since that one is easy anyway. Btw I finished it already
@Elder but we have asked for the disclosure of all the cheese and we treat it seriously. Everyone on this site can get banned, everyone.
@Elder ale prosiliśmy o wyjawianie wszystkich serów i traktujemy to poważnie. Każdy na tej stronie może zostać zbanowany, każdy.

- Sagez
User avatar
ElderofZion
 
Posts: 215
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby The Great Rings » April 20th, 2017, 11:35 pm

Inky wrote:That's awesome, nice job!

It's always interesting to see that no matter how impossible the author tries to make a scenario, Wesnoth players will always manage to find some way around it. :D



Due to the way RNG works, their's really no such thing as an unwinnable battle in this game, short of a time limit to achieve something that is literally impossible to beat.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
The Great Rings
 
Posts: 736
Joined: January 26th, 2008, 10:39 pm
Location: On the front line of battle, defying hopeless odds

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby ElderofZion » April 21st, 2017, 1:17 am

The Great Rings wrote:
Inky wrote:That's awesome, nice job!

It's always interesting to see that no matter how impossible the author tries to make a scenario, Wesnoth players will always manage to find some way around it. :D



Due to the way RNG works, their's really no such thing as an unwinnable battle in this game, short of a time limit to achieve something that is literally impossible to beat.


Only if you have immortal units and a lot of luck xD
@Elder but we have asked for the disclosure of all the cheese and we treat it seriously. Everyone on this site can get banned, everyone.
@Elder ale prosiliśmy o wyjawianie wszystkich serów i traktujemy to poważnie. Każdy na tej stronie może zostać zbanowany, każdy.

- Sagez
User avatar
ElderofZion
 
Posts: 215
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby urdithane » May 25th, 2017, 2:16 pm

I tried this strategy, with the immortal wizards, but I just succeed to reach to Rakshas at turn 18 so I had not enough time to kill him.

Could you tell us what is coming after you kill the boss ?
urdithane
 
Posts: 1
Joined: May 25th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Re: I just killed Rakshas...On Nightmare in "An Old Friend"

Postby holypaladin » November 14th, 2017, 9:58 am

Gratulate Calcucus :D You are champion
I am a holypaladin. I fight agains darkness. Me or other paladins be a bandits. We alianced witch a orcs and dwarwes
holypaladin
 
Posts: 17
Joined: August 14th, 2017, 9:07 pm
Location: poland


Return to Strategies & Tips

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests