Skyships

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
GoatGoat

Re: Skyships

Post by GoatGoat »

I don't know why I made this, but I already know this is the worst kind of ship.
Attachments
ship.png
ship.png (102.88 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

@ ForestDragon: For landing on water I would turn the lower 3 planks transparant. Your second entry is lacking the water? The green stuff has stacking errors. I would go for the version with the furting dragon.

@ GoatGoat: The spider version would be nice for the desert? Wellcome to the competion.

I found some rule books: Abney Park's Airship Pirates and Calidar-Stranger Skies. They having some floorplan of skyships. I still prefer the simpler, smaller crafts like mentioned in the lone wolf series.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/am ... of-calidar

http://airshippirates.abneypark.com/

A pirate table top "blood and plunder":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fi ... nd-plunder

An asymetric game about airship fleets:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... captains-0
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Cool picture. Once again well done Wussel.

@forest and GoatGoat - LOL

Handsome John and his (handsome) crew
Handsome John and his (handsome) crew
handsomejohnandhishandsomecrew.png (108.6 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

@Heindal: :lol: good job, also good job too, GoatGoat
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

@ Heindal: Awesome entry!

@ ForestDragon: I could give a description on how I made the ship. It would work well with all kind of game related art. In case you or anybody wishes to give it a try.

About the ship. I picked the blue reling from a topic of Heindal. There the ships had blue runes writen on the hull.
cagatayugurlu_dgc_06_905.jpg
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Cool, so they really had pictures for these air ships. They look way better than I've imagined them.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Since that skyship is allready in use here the version for a submerged hull.
s1-360c-transp3.png
s1-360c-transp3.png (94.16 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for creating this new ship. I've embedded it into my campaign as a kind of a test to compare it with the other ships.
I've should have asked before or at least tell you.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Not quite a flying ship, but a flying boat (earlier, later) plays a role in the Webcomic "Everblue".
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Awesome links! Thanks a lot! I would take them as skyships. Medieval ships tend to be smaller anyway. Basically the boats of Columbus would be high tech. :lol:
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

In case anybody still reading this:

Sails are awesome to put sigils!
s1-360c-sigil2.png
s1-360c-sigil2.png (100.85 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
s1-360c-sigil1.png
s1-360c-sigil1.png (97.26 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

:shock: you just keep getting better at this... i am speechless. keep making them, you are amazing at ship-making
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Here my take on a magic sigil on the sky ship. I made the ropes light grey to match the other ships, too.
s1-360c-sigil3.png
s1-360c-sigil3.png (103.2 KiB) Viewed 4770 times

I might need some advice on the distortion tools in Gimp from a profesional artist. The shortcomings are kind of obvious with a round sigil.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

So, this sky ship is quite good (if a tad garish), but I just have to ask – why does it have to be magical? It would be totally possible to take a regular sailing ship, remove the masts, and strap the hull to a blimp (or even a dirigible, but blimp is easier since it's not rigid) to produce a viable airship. (Okay, it might not be quite that simple due to the dangers of high altitudes, but I think that problem is also not too hard to solve.) Such a design doesn't really strike me as overly steampunkish. If you want them to function equally on water and in the air, you could probably rig some sort of collapsible masts system.

Wesnoth doesn't really strike me as a high-magic setting (though it's certainly a lot higher than, say, Tolkien), so I'm not sure the magical flying ship fits all that well. Maybe I could be convinced.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I am sure I asumed somewhere that fire/air/wind magic is pretty common. Just look at your current army and count how much units with magic fire damage are there. Levitation should be more rare.

The traditional ship design for skyship is a fail save feature in case the levitation is off. Good for crash landings and such. There is no reason for ship like design what so ever. You could animate a giant carpet if you wish.

Blimps will ease the requirements for levitation a bit. Wind in your favor is mandatory, if you want to get somewhere with a baloon. Please keep in mind how big the blimp would have to be in real physics. Everything else would be magic.

Since there are only a handfull of skyships around, the design will be asumed to be somehow conservative. But their is allways room for innovators.

Lets asume you have 4 crystals to fly. You need 3 for controled landing, 2 for an emergency dive with damaged ship, one for a controlled crash with total damage to the ship, but surviveable.

If you come with a blimp and somebody runs it through you might be toast. That beeing said, there was a dwavish baloon unit in an addon some time ago. I have seen flying carpet riders too. I just have difficulties to imagine a vessel as home for 5 to 10 people this way.