A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

humanressource

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by humanressource »

Hi there.

I just finished "Wings of Rebellion" and so far I really enjoyed your campaign. Looking forward to the rest of it.

However, I wanted to point out that there appears to be no benefit in defeating all enemy leaders in this scenario, moneywise. So while it is possible to accomplish this by killing the center leader first and mopping the rest up later, the budget is stretched thin at the end leaving the player with minimum starting gold for the "Promised Land" scenario. (EDIT: Which actually is not a problem at all...) No gold is carried over, unless the player optimizes his recruitment strategy in such a way, that there is still some bonus gold left at the end.

Just holding on to the end of rounds appears more rewarding, but I have to test this first.

By the way, when I neutralized the center orc leader and moved on to finish off one of his sidekicks, the "OMG! HE GOTZ REINFORCEMUNTS!" dialogue popped up, while the reinforcements obviously had no more leader to rally to ;)

Cheers
HR

PS: Nice tweaks to the portraits!
For we are many!
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

humanressource wrote: However, I wanted to point out that there appears to be no benefit in defeating all enemy leaders in this scenario, moneywise. So while it is possible to accomplish this by killing the center leader first and mopping the rest up later, the budget is stretched thin at the end leaving the player with minimum starting gold for the "Promised Land" scenario. (EDIT: Which actually is not a problem at all...) No gold is carried over, unless the player optimizes his recruitment strategy in such a way, that there is still some bonus gold left at the end.
By the way, when I neutralized the center orc leader and moved on to finish off one of his sidekicks, the "OMG! HE GOTZ REINFORCEMUNTS!" dialogue popped up, while the reinforcements obviously had no more leader to rally to ;)
I'm glad you're enjoying the campaign! :D Indeed, there's no big bonus for defeating tall the orcish leaders, but that was never intended; the main objective is to defend the Crystal Tower, whether you just fight from the walls or go on the offensive is up to the player ;)
As for the reinforcements issue, well, I suppose I forgot to correct that :P
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I'd like to remind you that the typo for the starting gold on hard in the frist scenario is still there :D

EDIT:
im trying to finish "Legend Of The Water Dragon" but the scenario doesn't end after I move Myra back to her keep...
Attachments
ASoF-Legend_Of_The_Water_Dragon-Auto-Save40.gz
(170.7 KiB) Downloaded 651 times
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

im trying to finish "Legend Of The Water Dragon" but the scenario doesn't end after I move Myra back to her keep...
It's a bug. See previous pages on how to go around it
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

@Paulomat4 thank you ^^

is it truly necessary to recall ALL units in "Farewell"? haveing 150+ units on map isn't so much fun >.<
Pags

Post by Pags »

brickluis wrote:Hello,

I am writing you now about the scenario "Farewell" from song of fire campaign. The goal indicated says to put Jevyan to the middle of the river to the east, without no additional indication where exactly going. I moved Jevyan inside the river, and also on the other side of the shore, and unfortunately nothing occurs. I would like to know if this is due to some bug, or if some informations are just missing ?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate this campaign !

Regards,

Eric
I've also encountered this same issue. It appears that the dialogue is misworded, It means you move to the land between the two halves of river. So aim for the land that you don't need to cross a river to get to in the far east. The wording resulted in me losing a few extra units:P
XxChronOblivionxX

Post by XxChronOblivionxX »

For anyone interested, I have just begun a full Youtube Let's Play of the entire Dragon Trilogy, starting with Song of Fire. Seemed as good a way as any to reboot my old LP channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01XZlhdtNE

I intend to go through the entire [censored] series on Normal, keeping track of my failures but only showing the successful missions. Comment on the videos to request a named soldier, including what name you want.
gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa »

"Besieged" scenario too hard. Charioteers smash everything with their charged attack.

I reload game from Hard level to decrease difficulty. It is impossible to win even on Normal difficulty.

Just entered to :debug and sometimes heal loyal units with :unit hitpoints=100...
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

gavenkoa wrote:"Besieged" scenario too hard. Charioteers smash everything with their charged attack.

I reload game from Hard level to decrease difficulty. It is impossible to win even on Normal difficulty.

Just entered to :debug and sometimes heal loyal units with :unit hitpoints=100...
It isn't impossible, as long as you have some tank units (like lvl 3-4 fire and earth elementals, and specially Dwarvish Lords, which at this height you should have in good numbers) and the willingness to sacrifice some of them. What I usually do is: place 3-4 Dwarvish Lords on the western area of the city to hold off Mundzuk's warriors, then place two lvl 3 water elementals (also an Ethereal Orb and Stone Titan or Lava Behemoth on the bridge) to hold off Ogatai's warriors, and then attack the two leaders that must be defeated with the hero units and a few tank units (like fire and earth elementals) to protect them. This strategy has always worked for me (Okay, I do recur to save/loading sometimes, but not too often :oops: ), though other players may have a different strategy :)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa »

revansurik wrote: It isn't impossible, as long as you have some tank units (like lvl 3-4 fire and earth elementals, and specially Dwarvish Lords, which at this height you should have in good numbers) and the willingness to sacrifice some of them. What I usually do is: place 3-4 Dwarvish Lords on the western area of the city to hold off Mundzuk's warriors, then place two lvl 3 water elementals (also an Ethereal Orb and Stone Titan or Lava Behemoth on the bridge) to hold off Ogatai's warriors, and then attack the two leaders that must be defeated with the hero units and a few tank units (like fire and earth elementals) to protect them. This strategy has always worked for me (Okay, I do recur to save/loading sometimes, but not too often :oops: ), though other players may have a different strategy :)
I rush to east with loyal units that available on start and Charioteers have large chance to kill one of that unit and according to scenario objects I lose. The reason for quick invasion is to kill east boss before he spending all money on recruitment and to hold additional villages near his base. If I wait near my base for 1-2 turn recruit too many Charioteers appear near me from second east base.

I read this thread and follow old recommendation about blocking Mundzuk's warriors so I replayed the game by blocking them by Jinns and recruited lvl3 units and it was more affordable but I lose a lot of lvl3 units even with using Wood Hunter's slowing attack.

I didn't use lvl2-3 tank units to support hero units, just lvl1 Wood Hunters to decrease enemy power with their slowing attack and still "healed" with ":unit hitpoints=100" several times on key units.

But lvl3 Jinns successfully used against Drakes.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I'm currently working on writing a walkthrough for this amazing campaign, though it'll be a while before it's finished!

There are a couple typos with the gold on Hard difficulty:
-Scenario 1 line 77: {GOLD 180 160 14}
-Scenario 13 line 365: {GOLD 550 500 4500}
And there is a typo in Scenario 13 lines 747 and 751, where Thelyan should be spelled Thelian.

Also, I found scenario 4 (Lightning Strike) frustrating due to the suicidal behavior of the allied leader. She would get onto flat terrain in broad daylight to attack a horde of drakes, which made an already very difficult scenario much harder than it should be. Something like the "ask the allied leader to move here" right click menu option from LoW's Acquaintance in Need would be very useful in this scenario.

---
gavenkoa wrote:"Besieged" scenario too hard. Charioteers smash everything with their charged attack.
Are you using the eastern wall to recruit/recall? It would indeed be impossible if you tried to recall from the starting keep. The "easy" way to win is to move to the eastern wall on turn 2 and fill the entire wall with units; it's also possible to avoid losing any veterans if you are not above sending hordes of poor level 1 units to their deaths ;)
Attachments
ASoF-Besieged_replay.gz
wesnoth 1.12.6/hard
(136.44 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa »

Inky wrote: Are you using the eastern wall to recruit/recall? It would indeed be impossible if you tried to recall from the starting keep. The "easy" way to win is to move to the eastern wall on turn 2 and fill the entire wall with units; it's also possible to avoid losing any veterans if you are not above sending hordes of poor level 1 units to their deaths ;)
Oh, I didn't notice that I could recruit from wall...

Also as shown your replay I did not take in account Scenario objectives and instead of killing two eaten bosses I fought with drakes and south-west troops till managed to kill second eaten boss ))

On my replay when you see low HP loyal units doesn't die - that was cheating with :unit hitpoints=100
Attachments
ASoF-Besieged_replay.gz
(137.94 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa »

Inky wrote:I'm currently working on writing a walkthrough for this amazing campaign, though it'll be a while before it's finished!
In what format do you organize walkthrough? Blog post, Wesnoth wiki page, screencast, video?

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Guide_to_UMC_Content - here is article about ASoF but there is no review at https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Player_UMC_Reviews

For mainline I constantly consulted with walkthough from https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Mainline_Campaigns
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

gavenkoa wrote:In what format do you organize walkthrough?
It's going to be on the wiki, but I haven't put it up yet since it's far from being finished. (It's such a long campaign!)

(Off topic) I found the mainline walkthroughs really helpful too! I hope to eventually write some more UMC walkthroughs and collect them on a wiki page. Hopefully other players will decide to write some walkthroughs too :)

EDIT:
I finished the walkthrough, here it is! https://wiki.wesnoth.org/A_Song_of_Fire_Walkthrough

---
Also, I noticed another typo: the cutscene scenario 30_Old_Friends.cfg has GOLD=0 instead of gold=0, which actually causes the gold to be set to the default of 100, resulting in +100 gold for the player in scenario 31.
TripleSnail

Post by TripleSnail »

I was surprised to find out that your guide ignored Dwarven Dragonguards! They are extremely useful. High defenses and resistances on proper terrain, and they can often kill high level drakes without taking a hit!

The best part? You can recall Dragon Guards in S19 Fires of Hope (since they don't have axes like rest of the Dwarves). Suddenly, Fires of Hope is really easy: Just recall all your Dragon Guards, lvl 4 leaders and many healers, and then run for the closest hills. Put Dragon Guards to the edge, with healers and leaders behind. I lost only one unit in that scenario.

Played on hard difficulty.