my best unit awards(different from eagle_11's My "best units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

amanII

Re: My "best units" awards.

Post by amanII »

best fighter/tank:drake clasher,drake clashers have one of the highest if not the highest damage output for a level 1 unit(horsemen,ulfserkers and thieves don't count) they also have solid resistance to stuff.did i mention that after advancing they are very dangerous

best caster:dark adept,high damage output and the fact that they are one of the easier mages to level up nuff said

best ranged:elvish archer,they can have dexterous as one of their traits again nuff said

best scout:cavalrymen,high speed and unlike other scouts can actually deal some damage

best healer:elvish shaman,this spot almost went to saurian augur but then i realized that i would have access to both poison and slow if i chose shamans instead.

other:orcish assassin,my faction has access to poison now

ps:can you find a weakness to my faction(design a faction designed to counter mine
Last edited by amanII on July 18th, 2016, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amanII

Post by amanII »

worst units for me

worst scout:vampire bat:vampire bats SUCK and i hate them :evil: ,vampire bats were priced by eugene krabs or by apple(13 gold for a level 0 unit is way too much) and ghosts are better scouts than them.

worst fighter:saurian skirmisher:they deal the least damage of all the fighter units and skirmisher is better for a scout

worst tank:heavy infantrymen:this is another unit that i don't hate i just think that they are the weakest tank unit and other tank units like guardsmen and troll whelps are better

worst caster:do other eras/campaign units count?if so then my least favorite caster is rogue mages and mages(otherwise my least favorite caster is just mages).because the amount of damage rogue mages do is more fitting for a scout(minus the magic attack) because most scouts tend to have a melee and ranged attack which are equally powerful.they are meh units but i hate them as casters.as for mages they are actually one of my least favorite units in the game.the amount of experience needed to level them up is more than whatever its called when units are maximum level and get enough experience which is stupid.not to mention it but dark adepts are better.they are pretty good at level 2 but normal mages just suck

worst ranged:nafat,the problem i have with nafats is like rogue mages in the sense that my problem with them is that their ranged attack isn't very strong(for a ranged unit) which isn't very good
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Best Infantry: Drake Fighter. Typically prefer units to be a little quicker, and they most definitely fit the bill for an ideal rapid interceptor that can fill a defensive role in an emergency.

Worst Infantry: Arif. Pricey, not that powerful, sluggish where the rest of the faction needs to be fast, interesting facet of a marksman melee attack is sort of situational. Arguably more of a fast light defensive unit but it's just sorta meh at both.

Best Ranged: Dark Adept, given the Undead would barely work if it weren't.

Worst Ranged: Poacher. Thrift store elf, only really decent for being cheap to level up, whereupon it becomes arguably the worst level 2 unit in the game. Completely outclassed by the Thunderer.

Best Scout: Elvish Scout. For some reason I just like these, they can be basically anywhere instantly and are good general-purpose reinforcements. Levels up fast too.

Worst Scout: Falcon. Literally just bats that don't last as long. Charge attack is incredibly situational and only really useful by the time you're already winning.

Best Tank: Wose. Wonderful land-mines that hit like a truck.

Worst Tank: Heavy Infantryman. A Wose but worse in almost every way.

Best Support: Orcish Assassin. Basically a guaranteed poison that can get where it's needed rapidly.

Worst Support: Tough call. All the others are sort of equal-ish to me. Probably the Augur but only barely? Its higher offense compared to others is useful but it's kinda fragile and its healing is tough to use since drakes have to scatter all over the place all the time.

Best Aquatic: Naga Fighter. Biased towards these but I find them just generally all-around useful. They can function more on land than other water units especially if they level up and they're full of style.

Worst Aquatic: Merman Hunter. Somehow an even worse ranged unit than the Poacher. Can either level up into something whose primary purpose is filled by the Shaman or a strong contender for the other worst level 2 unit in the game.

Honorable good mention goes to the Ghost, which kinda falls outside these categories, for being cool as heck, the Horseman which is basically in its own category as a super-heavy striker, and the Orcish Leader, which isn't around in default but is overall a fantastic tanky infantry which is also the best leadership unit in the game. Honorable bad mention goes to the Giant Rat, a unit that requires adjacent Leadership to even have its time of day bonus kick in at night, and the Fire Guardian, a 19 gold unit that has the defenses of a drake with half the HP and negligible offensive power.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Resurrecting a 9 year old thread.... heck, why not?

I'm gonna write my favorite units- not the best ones but the ones i like using most.

Fav scout - Ghost and advancements. Its a scout + fighter hybrid
Fav tank - Cavalrymen or Trolls and advancements
Fav melee damager - Dwarvish fighter and advancements
Fav ranged damager - elvish archer and advancements
Fav caster - elvish shaman and advancements
Plus a shout out to the Horseman line, Elvish avenger , and Sylph for being plain awesome
But, if u ask who is the BEST character in the game, its without a doubt the Ancient Undead God - the Self styled Harbinger of Doom - Mal Keshar!!
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Sudipta wrote:But, if u ask who is the BEST character in the game, its without a doubt the Ancient Undead God - the Self styled Harbinger of Doom - Mal Keshar!!
yep, btw, in my opinion IftU is as canon as every mainline campaign
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
The_Squished_Elf

Post by The_Squished_Elf »

Best Tank - Trolls. Reasonably easy to level up, and while easily countered by other tanks, excels at fighting anything that isn't a tank or a caster.
Best Fighter - This is a hard one, but I have to give it to the Dwarvish Fighter. The Drake Fighter is super versatile and quick enough to retreat through the night then absolutely wreck during the day, but the Dwarvish Fighter is just so... implacable. They deal great damage and can take quite a lot any time of day, which more than makes up for their lack of speed.
Best Ranged - I have to say I like Thunderers and Skelly Archers; the thunderer is really more of a melee unit in that it takes a lot of damage and that melee dagger is deceptively dangerous, as much as the Elvish Archers, but they can actually survive being hit twice. Skelly Archers, on the other hand, just seem to work great at padding up holes with their cheap cost and versatile attack, despite their pathetic melee.
Best Support - Saurian Skirmishers. Their real danger is in the spear throws rather than the weak melee, and they have excellent survivability if you can get them to useful terrain.
Best Caster - I'm gonna cheat here and call this the marksman class - of which the best is Drake Gliders. Sure they're pathetic in their marksman damage for their level, but when you want that marksman ability often you're trying to kill a unit on the verge of death, not to mention the Glider's insane speed, working well as a scout as well.
I suppose I'd be equally happy with Dwarf Fighter/Skelly archer and Drake Fighter/Thunderer in a faction.
Also why all the hate for bats? D: Sure they're useless at fighting but that's the point, they keep undead competitive in early village capturing without adding upkeep. Same goes for Falcon. They cost no upkeep and so are pretty much only useful for taking villages early and holding them against other scouts for a turn. They're expendable whereas a ghost REALLY ISN'T.
daud2001

Post by daud2001 »

Best Fighter and Archer: Elvish Fighter and Archer. 4 attacks make them very reliable and their advancements are very useful (which is why I don't choose Thug and Poacher, unless I'm fighting skeletons.)
Best Tank: Dwarfish Guardsman. Although not very useful besides as a tank, Guardsman is a very effective tank and already has steadfast since lever 1. I like trolls too, but not as much.
Best Scout: Ghost for their advancements and Bats for being cheap and fast. Can't choose between those two.
Best Support: Elvish Shaman. Slow is one of the best weapon special I ever used, she's a good healer and I like her advancements.

Despite my pick, my favorite faction is still the Northerners.
A fan and a player since kindergarten.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Best Fighter: Dwarven Lord
Best Archer: Elvish Sharpshooter tied with Ranger
Best Magician: Lich
Best Tank: Iron Mauler
Best Scout: Spectre
Best Healer: Shyde
Last edited by Eagle_11 on August 20th, 2016, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Best Fighter: Elvish Fighter. Good health, movement, melee and ranged attacks, good advancements.

Best Archer: Elvish Archer. Good movement, terrain defence, ranged damage, good advancements.

Best Tank: Dwarvish Guardsman. Good health, and steadfast makes it a perfect defender.

Best Scout: Ghost. Good movement type, resistances, and great advancements.

Best Support: Elvish Shaman. Healing and slowing both very useful abilities to have.

I like Elves.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Eagle_11 wrote:Best Healer: Sylph
ummm... Sylph isn't a healer, she a lvl4 sorceress. you most likely meant Shyde.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

ForestDragon wrote:
Eagle_11 wrote:Best Healer: Sylph
ummm... Sylph isn't a healer, she a lvl4 sorceress. you most likely meant Shyde.
Err... correct. I tend to mix up the names of these two. :mrgreen:
amanII

my best unit awards(different from eagle_11's My "best units

Post by amanII »

best loyalist unit:spearman(especially if promoted into royal guard),spearmen are usually my main unit on most loyalist campaigns(not called eastern invasion).it has good bang for its bucks(7-3 for 14 gold is a good deal).royal guards are very deadly too with good stats all around.they happen to be a runner up for my favorite fighter.

best rebel unit:elvish archer:elvish archers are tied for my favourite ranged uenit.elvish archers can have a dexterous trait(if recruited) which makes them ideal as archers.also avengers are awesome units.they have good damage even though you would think they wouldn't due to their ability and they have ambush which makes them good flanking units.imagine how broken they would be if they had skirmisher.now i bet you were wondering what my other favorite ranged unit is

best kalifate unit:rami: What do you get if you cross a cavalryman and an elvish archer.you get a rami.rami's deal even better damage for their cost than elvish archers do and they even have high movement.a word of advice when using this unit though.do not promote this unit into a quanas

best knalgan unit:dwarvish fighter:Yes i really like fighters i know but i just had to give it to dwarvish fighters as being a reliable unit.they were my unit of choice in the hammer of thursagan for a reason.

best undead unit:dark adepts:i am not a big fan of mages but dark adepts are a whole different story.20 damage is not bad at all for a 16 gold unit.also you can practically get an infinite walking corpse supply using necromancers and they are considered to be good units against any other faction.however dark adepts are one of the problems i have with descent into darkness(i didn't like having to wait till the 5th scenario to recruit them).at least that problem isn't as bad as a certain other problem i have with DiD

best drake unit:drake clasher:i just like this unit
what are your favorite units
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

Best fighter: dwarvish fighter. Two strong melee attacks (blade and impact), good health, can have healthy trait.

Best ranged: dwarvish thunderer. I am lucky, and, after all, like devastating attacks and snipers.

Best tank: dwarvish guardsman. Steadfast, good health and pierce damage.

Best scout: gryffon rider. Fast, flying, good melee. Good resistances to usual attacks.

Best caster: dark adept, but they are not necessary.

Best support: if allowed, dwarvish witness (or alchemist, same). Slows and healing/curing.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: my best unit awards

Post by Ravana »

Posts moved from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16120