Wesnoth 1.13.5

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.5

Post by Aldarisvet »

GunChleoc wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote:The bug with Eastern Invasion/The Eastern Invasion seems to be solved, it is translated correctly in Russian for now despite I did no moves to fix it (probabaly shadowm did it). However it is still Eastern Invasion in all other languages except Italian where it is translated as L'insasione dall'est.
Whether you add the "The" or not depends on the language. Once I get around to translating this, I will definitely add a "The", no matter if the English original contains one or not. Leaving it out sounds unnatural in my language in this context ;)

So, best leave the Italian translation to those who speak Italian :D
You probably havnt catched the problem.
It was "The Eastern Invasion" in 1.12 but in 1.13 it bugged to "Eastern Invasion". Since .po files tuned to translate 'The Eastern Invasion', they do not understand "Eastern Invasion'. And now in 1.13 the translation of the name of this campaign is broken in ALL languages and only Italian guy fixed it by updating the translation, so the name of this campaign is translated correctly to his language.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Inky wrote:I don't see the purpose in using icons rather than words to indicate race/alignment; it seems more confusing and I assume custom UMC races won't have icons
Lets just revert this to text. didnt find the change useful either.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I can agree with the feeling that the representation of race and alignment seems like a step back. For a new player it seems like it´ll generate more confusion and more things to memorize than simple words. UMC is also one of the appeals of BfW and this system will probably lead to some problems with custom made factions only(never created anything for the game but i guess icons from mainline races would be used as a placeholder for UMC races? This creates more confusion because it could lead to a misunderstanding of races, with names this doesn´t occur).
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

zookeeper wrote:
nuorc wrote:As the notation is changed anyway, I thought I'd mention that I'm not sure that 'damage x strikes' is the intuitive way; does anyone have an opinion about 'strikes x damage'?
I think we did discuss it, and while it's possible that objectively speaking "strikes x damage" might be slightly more immediately obvious to a complete newbie (but that's a big if), switching around the numbers in what's arguably the most central kind of notation in the game would throw off the majority of players (those who have actually played the game for years) so I'd find it rather hard to justify.
My first time with Wesnoth reaches back to 1.0.3 and I did notice the change to from '-' to 'x', but it didn't bother me at all. Actually I read a few times that someone new missunderstood the '-' as subtraction, so personally I'd be totally fine with the 'x' notation.
Eagle_11 wrote:
Inky wrote:I don't see the purpose in using icons rather than words to indicate race/alignment; it seems more confusing and I assume custom UMC races won't have icons
Lets just revert this to text. didnt find the change useful either.
I support this as well.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

attached pictures of an bug and an overlapping that happens on low-res.

Hexcake uses boldened font for description, its more visible and maybe should use it across the board.
I have found the new font to be too thin but its prolly just me.

edit 1: i have noticed larger unit sprites flickering and lagging behind during movement, happent particularly with cavalryman and wolfrider.

edit 2:there seems to be an general problem with transparency, as floating text can appear in menues too.
Attachments
message bleeding over
message bleeding over
800x600
800x600
overlapping.png (139.25 KiB) Viewed 5677 times
somebug1.png
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

All the sprites flicker and lag during movement for me, but turning off animated water fixes it. (I'm not saying this is a great solution, but flickering sprites bothers me more than static water.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Eagle_11 wrote:Hexcake uses boldened font for description, its more visible and maybe should use it across the board.
I have found the new font to be too thin but its prolly just me.
No, using bold across the board is absolutely not the answer. If you do that, then bold effectively becomes regular, and suddenly there's no way to get bold print across.

The current font is somewhat experimental though and may potentially be changed again, so feedback on it is certainly welcome. It doesn't matter if it's "just you" — this is a matter of opinion, after all.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

My first thing to do was turning off animated water, but this didnt help with the larger ones and sometimes the goblin impaler does it too but i dont know why only him.

Also, have noticed at the preview-box in the UI and in the help section, some unit sprites get shown slightly off upwards,left-right, as if not being properly centered.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Eagle_11 wrote:My first thing to do was turning off animated water, but this didnt help with the larger ones and sometimes the goblin impaler does it too but i dont know why only him.
That could be a good thing. Maybe there is something else going wrong and we can get it fixed without turning off the water.

There is a problem with the health and experience bars of spectres appearing in the wrong hex. I sure hope it's not intentional because it's really confusing.
Some units seem to have two sets of bars, and spectres seem to be missing theirs.
Some units seem to have two sets of bars, and spectres seem to be missing theirs.
spectres.png (96.18 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
White_Drag0n

Post by White_Drag0n »

It looks like the bar's placement is now the edge of image file instead of edge of the hex. It might be worth checking is it bugged on Cavalrymen and Fire Dragon too.

Btw, I apologize for a little offtop, but what campaign is this? The two sprites of undead on the left and on the top look quite interesting.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

White_Drag0n wrote:what campaign is this?
Secrets of the Ancients

Yeah, the two dragons also look wrong. Their bars almost overlap the bars of the unit to the NW making for a really confusing view. Those are the only other sprites like this that I could find.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Eagle_11 wrote: There is a problem with the health and experience bars of spectres appearing in the wrong hex. I sure hope it's not intentional because it's really confusing.
Might be related to this - best check the sprites for blank space / floating pixels?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

GunChleoc wrote:Might be related to this
Yeah, it must be that. Did people forget that Wesnoth is a game and needs to present certain information for a reason?

The spectre's sprite is a little bigger than it needs to be, and trimming it down as far as possible makes it better. The bars still stick into the next hex, but they're not actually confusing that way. The dragon can only be trimmed a few pixels, so it's still just as confusing as before.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

actually, beetlenaut wrote that.

Still, i can point out that capability to set horizontal healthbar for large size boss unit sprites could be of use.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

beetlenaut wrote:The spectre's sprite is a little bigger than it needs to be, and trimming it down as far as possible makes it better. The bars still stick into the next hex, but they're not actually confusing that way. The dragon can only be trimmed a few pixels, so it's still just as confusing as before.
I think this mostly fixes the Spectre problem without adverse effects. The bar will still be slightly outside the hex, but not disturbingly so.

The Fire Dragon could also be subtly cropped further, from 160x200 to 144x200. But as you said, it's a rather negligible change.