1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: 1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Post by SkyOne »

GodlyDragon wrote:Hi there, I just downloaded the lastest version of The Northern Forces and when I came to play it, there is this error message:

Impossible de charger cette(ces) extension(s) en erreur :
C:/Users/gilbert/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.12/data/add-ons/Northern_Forces/_main.cfg

Merci de fournir ces informations à l'auteur ou au mainteneur de cette extension.

Détails :

Macro/file 'NF_VICTORY_MESSAGES' is missing
at ~add-ons\\Northern_Forces\\scenarios\\08_Starting_Afresh.cfg:393
included from ~add-ons\\Northern_Forces\\_main.cfg:79

Could you fix it please? I'm eager to play to it ^_^
Hi GodlyDragon,

Sorry, my explanation was unclear and lack of words. It seems you use the save-file of the version 0.1.x to run the version 0.2.0... There were both "08_Starting_Afresh.cfg" and "NF_VICTORY_MESSAGES" on the previous version, but they have been changed to "09_Starting_Afresh.cfg" and "NF_09_VICTORY_MESSAGES" on the version 0.2.0.

On the Northern Forces campaign version 0.2.0, all scenario numbers from the third scenario have been changed since version 0.1.x. And the unit types of the leader units have been adjusted (also some more major changes). So crossing with version 0.1.x is generally impossible. However, if you or anyone really don't want to waste the save-files of the version 0.1.x, starting with this 8th scenario, installing it into the version 0.2.0, will probably work although the level of the leader unit may be changed on the scenario (he will transform a different unit on the next scenario anyway):
08_Out_of_Control.cfg
(34.66 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
Thank you for trying to play Northern Forces campaign. There must be a lot of English grammar and structure mistakes after the second scenario. Pointing them out will be many thanks.
It is probably the time to make an independent thread for it, though...
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

Hello again, I have problems loading the 8th scenario, my program just says that it can't find it. Have I done something wrong?

EDIT: Sorry, the problem was on my side, I fixed it. Continue your good work!
marat

Post by marat »

I wish a good time.

Russian translation of campaign is ready. (100%)
Attachments
fate_of_princess_mo_po.zip
.MO+.PO for BfW 1.12
(231 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

GodlyDragon wrote:Hello again, I have problems loading the 8th scenario, my program just says that it can't find it. Have I done something wrong?

EDIT: Sorry, the problem was on my side, I fixed it. Continue your good work!
Thank you. :)
I hope you can play it through the end.
marat wrote:I wish a good time.

Russian translation of campaign is ready. (100%)
Thank you so much, marat. It seems you created the PO file from the recent version, then translated on it. I really appreciated your task.:) I added your name on the credit list of the main file and the lines on your ru-po file. Then just have uploaded version 1.4.9 on the 1.12 server with the MO file.

In addition, there were minor edits in the [objectives] on scenario 09_Common_Enemy:

Code: Select all

[note]
                red,blue,green=127,127,255
                description= _ "Hint: Blocking elves to across the river." <-- period has been added
            [/note]
            [note]
                red,blue,green=127,127,255
                description= _ "This is the last scenario battling with the current troops." <-- period and 's' have been added at the end of the sentence 
            [/note]
Both of them have been edited on your PO file, and the MO file has already been installed on the version 1.4.9:
foap-russian-po.zip
(127.38 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
The other translations have also been updated on the version 1.4.9 with the edit above.
In those translations, Hungarian translation (Magyar) is the oldest and needs some help. Even a few lines of them, I will appreciate if someone takes a look at and fixes it, especially the fuzzy parts that are shown as brown letters:
foap-hungarian-po.zip
(138.91 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
Just in case, these are all po-files (French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, and Russian):
FoaP-PO-files.zip
(738.11 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
The melee attack animations have slightly been polished on the Vanguard, Pioneer, Frost Guardian, and Blizzard units on the new version, 1.4.9.

thanks
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

I like the campaign, really nice storyline , but one thing: I don't know why but at me there is scenario 3 : a jealous beast, I didn't hear any of you talking about it , and I think I missed a scenario .... that one with "Here they go" or something like that...can you tell me how I can get to it?
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Daniel17022002 wrote:I like the campaign, really nice storyline , but one thing: I don't know why but at me there is scenario 3 : a jealous beast, I didn't hear any of you talking about it , and I think I missed a scenario .... that one with "Here they go" or something like that...can you tell me how I can get to it?
Hi Daniel17022002,

Thank you for playing.
Glad to hear you like it.:)
Spoiler:
-------
A minor update, but the version 0.2.1 of the Northern Forces campaign has been attached on the top of the previous page. It is just for updating some images and some animations, so crossing with version 0.2.0 in the middle of the campaign is absolutely fine.

-------

EDIT:
FoaP version 1.4.10 has been on 1.12 server since Jan, 1st 2016.

the changes:
- German translation has been updated by Chewan
- fixed the typing mistakes on scenario 10; Elan-Garil --> Elen-Garil, and scenario 12; Lintania Forest --> Lintanir Forest, (English of all translations have been adjusted)
- fixed showing the small and black-back portrait for Ishlars L3
- added the attack animations for Rogue Mage unit (L1 only at this time)
- touched up Frost Guardian's unit images, and changed the attack-icon for the melee attack
- minor modification on scenario and map 19, Eisheim

Crossing with the previous version in the middle of campaign is fine, but it may cause to miss a few images, such as the attack icon for Frost Guardian unit.

thanks
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Only today i was reminded that the campaign is an entire long act when i was thinking of playing it again(as in, it isn´t separated in two parts like IfTU for example.) I think this would be a good feature given that the first part of the campaign has no relation to the second part(excluding history of course) and it could be helpful to players who prefer playing the second part(like myself xD).
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

ahmannar wrote:Only today i was reminded that the campaign is an entire long act when i was thinking of playing it again(as in, it isn´t separated in two parts like IfTU for example.) I think this would be a good feature given that the first part of the campaign has no relation to the second part(excluding history of course) and it could be helpful to players who prefer playing the second part(like myself xD).
You are right.
For the players who play it again, sure, it is a good feature, and I am sure that you are not only one who thinks that way.
But I would like to emphasize the story (especially) on this campaign. I mean: - how Baldres behaves on it? how about Gulcyn? How about their children? etc... So I will probably keep one [campaign] tag on the main file. Thank you for pointing it out, though. :)

How to start from part-2:
- open the main file
- put # in front of first_scenario=01_Time_to_Leave
- write or copy & paste first_scenario=11_Broken_Treaty So it is going to be:

Code: Select all

#first_scenario=01_Time_to_Leave
    first_scenario=11_Broken_Treaty
- start the campaign from the beginning

Minor update: - FoaP version 1.4.11 has been uploaded on 1.12 server
The changes are just:
- fixed a minor bug that the cannot use message did not show on 18_Hydra_Cavern scenario when a unit that was not proper to pick up the crystal bow moves onto the item
- touched up the portraits slightly for Háwclyn, Zylvia, Shoko, and base unit images of Pioneer and Vanguard

thanks.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Hi, I am playing FoaP version 1.4.10 on BfW 1.12.4 on hard difficulty and i am loving this campaign. The storyline for this campaign is excellent Currently i am at scenario 20 Ice monsters. Part One and Part 2 are significantly different in gameplay. I love how in part 2, u gave most of the enemies massive income so that they could recruit full castle worth of troops every turn. Thus instead off the AI rush that we mostly see in other campaigns , we have to fight streams of enemies from start to finish. I am gonna give my feedback on the campaign, just some things i noted while playing.

I have to say that part One was a breeze even on the hardest difficulty. One thing i found strange in your campaign was that in most scenarios, the enemy loyals and starting soldiers just hang around the keep defensively instead of attacking. They do not attack even when my units move into their striking range. Same goes for the enemy leaders.Is this intended?

Another issue is that in many scenarios villages give 2 gold instead of one. That's fine with me, but the problem is that early finish bonus gives 1 gold per village per turn, so if u finish early, u actually get less gold than if u collect all the villages and wait till the last turn. You probably want to fix that. Also, in this tactic u get to farm off xp from the enemy a lot, since they recruit many units each turn, so it is easy to advance your units to L2 and L3. At the beginning of Scenario 7 The Battle Of Dorest, I had 24 Level 3 units excluding the loyals and heroes!! ( 31 if u include Baldres, Jil, Ishlars, 1 loyal Dragoon, 1 loyal Grand Knight and 2 loyal Paladins )

Sadly i missed the sword in scenario 3. I explored the map and got all the villages, but the sword camouflaged in the swamp background and i did not notice it. I only learnt about it and the hidden scenario by reading this thread. Maybe u could put the sword on flat terrain so that it is more visible ?

I also missed scenario 5b, mystical caves. Damn!! I just noticed it when i was going through the code. U should give some kind of hint about these secret scenarios, or else they are gonna remain secret :P Maybe its my fault :hmm: I should have checked the scenario folder before starting the campaign. [Note to self: Do that from now on.]

In scenario 6, Capturing Dorest, the objectives say to defeat all enemy leaders, but if u defeat the orange leader, the orcish ruler, the scenario ends.

In scenario 8, the battle for Dorest, u could have increased the number of turns. :cry: I had summoned a huge army ( 42 units of which half were L3's ) and then lined up along the river bank and was having a great time massacaring the elves. My troops were mostly in forest hexes, while the enemy was on water. My Plan was to decimate the elves and then kill all 3 leaders, so imagine my disappointment when the scenario abruply ended after just 7 turns. If i may give a suggestion, end the scenario when the players troops reach the elven encampment instead of just 7 turns.

Part 2 is significantly more difficult especially due to enemies massive income which makes it more interesting gameplay wise. In Scenario 14 In the Swamps, my saurian ally's loyal troops( guards, ambushers and soothsayers attacked the orcs for the first 5 or 6 turns but then retreated to the village in the centre of the map and just stayed there for the rest of the scenario. Not that i needed them much but watching 5 L2 units just hang back and drink swamp coffee while i am doing all the fighting is quite irksome. :annoyed:

Scenario 15, Dwarvish Warden is actually much easier than it looks because my dwarf allies were able to hold the south western orcs in a stalemate long enough for me to crush the shamans forces and then gang up on the L2 orcs. 2 of their drakes advanced to level 2 !! TOD plays a huge role in this battle.

Scenario 17, Mountain Path is the exact opposite, its much harder than it looks. Even though the enemies have low starting gold and income, i had a hard time taking down the trolls in the mountains. This scenario and the next one had the toughest fighting so far in the whole campaign in my opinion and both of these were pretty challenging

Scenario 18, Hydra Cavern. Boy, this was one pain in the ass scenario. Fighting the nagas in water and fords where u have only 20 - 40 % defense and they have 60 % was interesting. I did not have trouble fighting the first two naga bosses, and the trolls were kept busy by the last naga side. But this scenatio has a serious issue as follows : Sometime in the scenario Apakura's (the last naga boss) income doubled and became 122 instead of 62. I noticed it after i defeated the troll boss but i am not sure exactly when this came into effect. The problem is that after this increment, apakura was able to recruit whole keeps of level 2 naga warriors every turn and they flooded the bottlenecks and the swampy forest areas in the north. I managed to drive them back from the swamp/forests, But even with an army of level 3's, i could not advance through the bottlenecks south of Apakura's keep. After fighting for 10 turns from turn 25 to 35 , i took control of the bottlenecks but moving any further was impossible due to ZOC of multiple enemies blocking the path and shallow water providing extremly low defense. Saurian flankers with their skirmisher were not able to defeat the naga warriors who have 60 % def in those terrains.
Basically, the scenario becomes unwinnable. I had to go back to turn 23 ( when i killed the troll boss) and then i rushed apakuras troops in an all out attack before they became too numerous and clogged the entire area, losing a veteran in the process. U should include some dialogue from the naga side after killing the troll to warn players of this sudden aggression from the nagas. An example would be something like " At last these stinking trolls are dead. Now let's drive out these intruders and this cave will finally be ours!" or something along these lines.

Scenario 19, Eilsheim, the starting object is really vague. Survive. From what ? We aren't under attack. It was confusing at the start, maybe rename the objective to something that makes more sense. The yetis and unicorns are also quite passive. This scenario does not match the quality of the campaign.

Sorry for the long post and if some of my words sound criticizing. I am really enjoying playing this campaign and i think its pretty well done.

Oh and one last thing
Spoiler:

Thanks again for such a beautiful campaign.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Picking up where i left off, the later scenarios turned out to be a picnic, due to my huge gold and powerful army.
Scenario 20 - Ice Monsters- Had no problems in this one. It was fun using the snow shamans and their advancements. They seem like frost elves and have great offense and defense.
Scenario 21 - Pretty straightforward. Nothing to add here.
Scenario 22 - Dragon Cave -Well made underground scenario.Only thing i noticed, is that the sea serpents were really passive. Maybe increase their aggression?
Scenario 22b - Battle at Prestim - Since i had 1250 starting gold, this was a walk in the park. The enemy leaders should be given much more gold to balance it out.
Scenario 23 - Zlul'ds Last Stand - Again, due to huge starting gold (1667 gold), this was chi'd's play. There's a grammatical mistake in the sword description after zylvia picks it up. "The sword, Greenwood Blade, had been taken for the Royal family of the Greenwood" -> taken from
Scenario 24 - Striking Back - Same story. Too much gold, no challenge
Scenario 25 - Fate of A Princess - Nice way to finish the campaign. The final fight with Gulder could have been made harder though. Maybe increase his income, so that he can recruit full keeps of L3 units ?
Storywise, the campaign is amazing. But, i think it could use some balancing, especially part 1 and the later scenarios of part 2.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey SkyOne,
I just played through northern forces. Great Campaign! It's an epic story with a nice twist. Also the german translation is great btw. :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi SkyOne,

I got part way through Northern Forces, up to freeing the red mage. I've liked it so far. The porcupines are great.

Not sure what your plans are for this campaign, but if the feedback is useful, I'll note two issues:
1. The enemy recruit list seems very sparse, it would be more interesting if the enemies were more varied. I didn't look at the WML, so I don't know if the AI is just recruiting one type, or if the list is really so small.
2. Some of the text could use some editing, because it can be a bit unclear at times. I can give specifics, if you wish.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
taptap

Post by taptap »

Are you interested in Northern Forces feedback? Why hide it in the Fate of a Princess thread?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I must say, i enjoyed this campaign all the way to the end, at which point it became the most frustrating thing ever. I've seen terrible tomato surprises in this game, but that last one was outright sadistic. As if fighting undead in a cave with barely enough leveled units that aren't drakes or saurians and ZERO recruits that can be used against them. If only there was some sort of indication that I'm going to need dozens of ice fairies in the final scenario, i would've leveled up more than just the two.
But no. The moment i hit the final boss i discover that i need to sit through another hour of this battle. I mean this was an awesome campaign, and i loved every minute of it, but that ending.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Why did you not just level up a lot of fairies in the very first scenario when they appear, when you have to make your way through the trolls and yetis? It should be standard policy in campaigns to level up a few of each new unit that appears, just in case.