Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Delicius169

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Delicius169 »

In my opinion this is not potentionaly best campaing.
The magic of the storyline is that you know all other stories of wesnoth (at least mainline), the magic of AMLAS, and items is just if you have played a mainline campaings, and scenarios. It s hard to go back to normal campaings, because they seems to be boring now, when you cant have 4th lvl units with tons of abillities...
I spent most of time of playing wesnoth on LOTI, but I would not call this best campain (not even potentionaly), because it is completely different kind of campaign, and there is no other campaing to compare this one to. For me it is the campaing with most possibilities to replay it...
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

well, there are two campaigns that use the LotI mechanics too, but they also require LotI to be installed:
1.The Beautiful Child (you fight a corrupt order of white mages)
2.Affably Evil (story of Efraim's father)
i can't really say they are as good as the original, but if you want more LotI-like action, you can check them out
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

The Beautiful Child's great. But yeah, I keep trying to play other campaigns and getting my best unit to level 3 and going "so what can I do with you now?". Maybe we should make a LotI-framework add-on, and port other campaigns to it. :twisted:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

well, the only thing you really need to use LotI in any other addon is, here is a step-vy-step guide:
1.go to the wesnoth addon files (most of you know how, but those who don't can just check the wiki)
2.go to the addon's '_main.cfg' file
3.copy-paste this into the file:

Code: Select all

[binary_path]
    path=data/add-ons/Legend_of_the_Invincibles/
[/binary_path]
{~add-ons/Legend_of_the_Invincibles/utils}
[+units]
    {~add-ons/Legend_of_the_Invincibles/units}
[/units]
4.boom! you got LotI mechanics/units
matsjoyce wrote:Maybe we should make a LotI-framework add-on, and port other campaigns to it. :twisted:
well, there is already an MP mod for it :twisted:
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

There are some scenario specific options as well, like item drops etc. We'd also have to rebalance as well. Would be an interesting experiment, though. I might try it with a mainline.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Sorry for my absence, I haven't noticed the forums were back for quite long.

@Samson
The +10 health advancement does add 10 health, but it looks like 7 because all other advancement already add 3.

Your concerns about chapter 4 are being considered, however I do not have much time right now. It will be better soon.

Regarding the bad dialogues: some parts were rewritten, but I am no champion at nice wording. Furthermore, English is not my first language. It wasn't even my second language until I wrote this add-on and played online. Maybe the later parts are better, I am learning over time, but I can't find what to improve in the existing dialogues. In the first parts, the protagonists were emotionless undead led by iron rationality rather than people.

The portraits are the best I could get. I have tried to stitch parts of existing portraits together in the Kill the King campaign, you can have a look at that. I've tried some 3D graphics in the Affably Evil campaign, you can have a look at that. But neither of them looks better than this.

@Shiki
Thanks, I have added it.

#Maybe we should make a LotI-framework add-on, and port other campaigns to it.
There is this LotI mod thing made by Battlecruiser Venca, but it breaks balance. The enemies will be ridiculously weak soon. I am not telling that LotI is amazingly balanced, but this is a different level of imbalance.

I should be capable of creating an add-on that hacks all LotI features into any campaigns (or do singleplayer modifications work so that I could make it without tricks?) and increases the difficulty of enemies (a few percents per 100 kills? adjustable?). But the implementation of the Beelzebub event would not fit into that, opening door to farming. Also, the amount of work is nontrivial and as I said, I'm quite busy right now.
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

Dugi wrote:I've tried some 3D graphics in the Affably Evil campaign
<Shudder> The current LotI ones are OK. ^_^
Dugi wrote:I should be capable of creating an add-on that hacks all LotI features into any campaigns (or do singleplayer modifications work so that I could make it without tricks?) and increases the difficulty of enemies (a few percents per 100 kills? adjustable?). But the implementation of the Beelzebub event would not fit into that, opening door to farming. Also, the amount of work is nontrivial and as I said, I'm quite busy right now.
Oh no, I think crushing Legend of Wesmere with a Seer is a fun idea. Totally unbalanced. Who cares about balance, right? :twisted: No more working for kills!
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

matsjoyce wrote:Oh no, I think crushing Legend of Wesmere with a Seer is a fun idea. Totally unbalanced. Who cares about balance, right? :twisted: No more working for kills!
999% agreeing with you :twisted:
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

@ Samson » needs some polishing like updated character portraits
@ Dugi » The portraits are the best I could get
@ matsjoyce » The current LotI ones are OK
… and there are alternatives available, check SlyVenom's portraits for LotI ;)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

yeah, i think the Affably Evil portrait from that thread fit perfectly, the 3D ones look ridiculously bad
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

nuorc wrote:@All:
nuorc wrote:Has anyone here ever killed Argan in "An Old F(r)iend"? How?
I'd still like to hear if anyone ever did that.
Spoiler:
Just finished this scenario and remembered seeing this post awhile ago. This is how I killed Argan...
Spoiler:
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

shadow12 wrote:I corned him with a few units
I meant to say "cornered" not "corned."

We didn't kill him by "corning" him, although it could be a new weapon I guess. :hmm:

Corned: verb (used with object)
10. to preserve and season with salt in grains.
11. to preserve and season with brine.
12. to granulate, as gunpowder.
13. to plant (land) with corn.
14.to feed with corn.
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

shadow12 wrote:This is how I killed Argan...
Thanks for sharing. :)

Doesn't really sound like fun. I don't think I had access to draining. As I'm constantly rummaging in the .po (text) file while playing LotI anyway, I got his story that way...
I have a cunning plan.
arobinson

Post by arobinson »

Dugi,

Decided to play yet again, and to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in the current version (up to chapter 4, which I am on). The main reason is the lack of aggressive AI. The monsters simply no longer attack the heroes. They will walk up and stand next to Krux and Lethalia without attacking. As a result, they almost never get damaged (the dragons were the only ones in a while that actually tried to attack them) and therefore it gets a bit boring. With the changes to the skills that affect multiple units, I am no longer bothering to use whirlwind and the conical faerie fire as they hurt the hero instead of being useful since they will eventually lower the unit's damage to 1. As a result, the heroes are not as much fun to play anymore, but at least that means that my other units are more fun. That made it even more depressing when you enter a chapter where you don't get your units back as starting from scratch with new units is not all that fun, especially when they are the same types of units you could recruit in the past. Maybe it is because I've played it so many times, but I'm really tired of leveling elves and most of the elves IMO are the worst for fun. After playing so many times the "special" attacks are not as much fun as simply the attacks the get modified. For example, it is good that Delly had cleave added to her attack, but I find it less fun when that adds another nerfed attack. For example, the Elvish Juggernaut has too many "get a new type of attack" and then spend the rest of the levels trying to make that new attack not suck so much.

I still like this scenario a lot and it is very impressive that you have continued to maintain it all this time.

Note that I found 08_An_Army_Is_Born.cfg to be impossible without cheating. The orcs refused to attack Lethalia and because the Conical faerie fire now lowers the heroes damage, it cannot be used regularly anymore. At hard with only 14 turns, I could maybe kill at most 30 orcs on a good run, 50 was impossible. If the orcs actually attacked Lethalia then it would be different, but the level 1 undead gets killed way too easily for them to kill the orcs to get the count up to 50.

The reason why I am posting is really just due to the AI issue. It really needs to be fixed so that units will attack the heroes.

Thanks for all your hard work and making this a really fun add-on!
Running Wesnoth 1.12.4 on Mac OSX 10.10
Campaigns:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Regarding the AI problem:
I have found an error in the code that in some scenarios where you had only Lethalia, the AI was set badly and would often refuse to attack. Can you confirm or reject if it is only the case for scenarios with only Lethalia and no Efraim?

Chapter 4 was rated as being currently quite lame and specific ideas about improvement were discussed. You can look back at it and say what you think about it. Also, the above mentioned bug might concern only chapter 4.

Your feedback seems to be a nail finishing the coffin of the current AoE penalty levels. I will reduce them, if you have some specific suggestions, go on.