The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tribes55

Re: The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Post by tribes55 »

WhiteWolf, here is a video detailing the events:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6nSM5y ... e=youtu.be
I'd advise to start at 1:15, since that's where the bug is starting.
Sorry for the metal in the backround, I enjoy listening to music when I play Wesnoth.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Thanks for the video, it explains all :)

This proves, that catapults are clearly not meant be set on-course. (The action, when you try to move a unit at the turn where its movement points are already 0 (you set it on a course), and then the unit automatically moves onto the selected tile at the beginning of the next turn.)

This is something I never do while playing Wesnoth, especially on foggy maps. That's why I didn't test it. :doh:
What happens, is that if you set a catapult on a course, it will not be selected by hand at the beginning of its movement, alas fog is not lifted -> triggers firing effect the first time an enemy unit is sighted.

DO NOT set capatults on course. After selecting them to reload, just leave them be. Move them only the next turn. (You can deselect a unit without setting it on-course by right-clicking anywhere on the map :) Left-click sets course, right-click deselects.)

My mistake - this should be included in the instructions, it will be in the next version. I'll also add an extra filter which will automatically cancel any set-courses for catapult units.
I'll try to finish and upload the fix next week. :)

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Hi, I am planning to translate this campaign into japanese. I read/tested codes and found some bugs. Could you fix them when you have time. :)

(line numbers written below are on version 1.4.8 )

Bugs:
- line 615 in utils/utils.cfg, DISALLOW_RECRUIT_LIST macro does not work. This might cause unexpected recruit list in scenario 9. Please add "$" before stored_reclist_side.recruit in the call of DISALLOW_RECRUIT macro.
- Recruiting Horseman is allowed in scenario 9, and never disallowed later. So Horseman exists in the recruit list even in the ship battle scenarios.
- in 16_The_Nightbrethren, I guess death of nightsister should be a defeat condition.

Untranslatable texts:
Scenario3(Allies And Foes)
- line 200 : Wargen's original name (variables.original_name) is not translatable.
- line 201 : Vormund's unit name (Captain Vormund) is not translatable. (The same name in [side] is not used, unfortunately.)

Scenario 20-22(The Northern Sea, Fleet At Prestog, The Fleet Of Tirigaz)
- * : messages in MESSAGE_WRECK_EFFECT are not translatable

utils/promotion.cfg:
- line 136 : (lords_message; maximal_level)
- line 142 : (lords_message: current rank)
- line 161, 235, etc. : (rank name) (Cost: ??g) (Tier: ?); these three strings are not translatable

units:
- Man At Arms, Long Swordsman, Bloodswordsman : textdomain might be wesnoth-tbs; they may not be in wesnoth-units.
- Shadowsoul : typo in textdomain?
- Warwolf, Battleship, Frigate, Northern Ship, Pirate Galleon : may not exist in wesnoth-units[/spoiler]
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

I'd be honoured :) Thanks for the detailed list, I'll fix these next week. (I'm due with an update-patch for that special catapult-issue anyway).

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hey,

Uploaded 1.4.9 with the fixes of the enlisted bugs, and a couple of more fixes. The full release notes:
- fixed a rare Catapult bug (for maps 9 and 28)
- fixed a handful of textdomain typos and errors
- fixed defeat conditions for map 16
- fixed reported untranslatable texts
- fixed recruitment issues (Horseman on ship maps)
- few minor dialogue fixes
- new narrator portrait
- fixed some minor issues (mainly graphical and display bugs concerning promotion and vassal lord rank)
- fixed sighting event on map 3

Awaiting the translation :) If you find any more bugs, please contact me.

Thanks,
WhiteWolf
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Hi, thank you for fixing translation issues. :D
I have finished japanese translation, here is the file (Tourney is not translated for now), please add it! ;)
tbs_ja.zip
japanese translation
(112.28 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
For other translators, I also upload (zipped) pot file.
tbs.pot.zip
zipped pot file
(66.35 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
In addition, I found a minor bug concerning defense sound; defense sounds (both melee and ranged) of female "Northern Bowman" (including Loivissa) are male sounds. Female "Northern Longbowman" also has the same issue of defense sound in their ranged attack.

Thanks.
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Added it, looks great :)

The only tiny problem is, that I always indicate the version number in the campaign description footnotes. If I were ever to change it, which unfortunately happens at every upload, that would cause that string to expire in the translations - this is something I hadn't thought of :hmm:
I'm going to separate the version number from the string into an untranslatable string (or at least separate the last "Version: xy" paragraph from the real footnotes) to prevent it.

I'd like to ask you, to upload the translated .pot file too (or e-mail it to me: wellington2277@gmail.com), because after the separation, the line number and also the original-string of the footnotes has to be refreshed. :) I'll then export it and check if separation solves the issue - I'll keep the original .mo file for backup.

Fixed the bowman sounds, the longbowman is not ready yet, because the female longbowman animations are still missing, and it uses the male animations by default.

WhiteWolf
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

I see. This is the translated po file. (7z is used instead due to the file size limit.)
ja_wesnoth-tbs.po.7z
japanese translation po file
(108.63 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Just a note: the line numbers are mere comments and not used in the actual process. So we don't need to be careful about line numbers. :D
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Arigato :D

Uploaded 1.4.10, including the translation :)
- and the sound fixes (longbowman too - but still uses male animations)

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Yeah, Arigato. :D
It works fine. ;)
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Any hints of how much gold one is supposed to start with at hardest diffiulty for Fleet at Prestog? I start with 5 ships (alhough only 3 survived the pirates) and some 400 gold. Which means I can recruit no more than 6 war ships. So strategies to meet the huge number of enemies are:
1) gang up on isolated enemy ships; not too good because you also take damages
2) engage enemy infantry at your base to level up; Not too good either since you take damages and there is no good healing (except for the 2 pts for inactivity). Plus see (3)
3) wait at your base-this is the worst option as you will be hit with the entire fleet
4) blitz the southern command, perhas using a ship as a decoy to lure away the enemy ships. Not enough time=you also need to take out the towers.
So it looks to me like one would need at least 15(+a lot of luck)-20 ships to beat the scenario. This probably means going back at least a couple of scenaria
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

I guess you should back to the previous scenario (The Northern Sea). The Fleet at Prestog is a very very hard scenario... :augh:
Spoiler:
I've never tried on the hardest difficulty, though. :?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

5 starting ships are not going to be enough in my opinion as well. I can only recommend re-playing the Northern Sea scenario, and trying to slip through the canal as fast as possible, reducing losses to minimal.
I consider myself a barely intermediate player, so the hardest difficulty is aimed way higher than my abilities. (especially with Expert level campaigns :) )
So I doubt that I could give you a winner strategy, sorry :( My best advice is to try to finish the previous scenario with more ships, as they are all recalled.
(If all else fails, the debug command can mean the difference between life and death.)
MrNevino

Post by MrNevino »

Thoroughly enjoyed this campaign, couple quick notes.

A Sergeant outranks a Corporal, unless you're using a different rank system :P

You are missing the Dwarvish Arcanister unit type in the game, when the Dwarf from the prison advanced, my game crashed/
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Whitewolf, campaigns are meant to be playtested to make sure they are beatable at the level quoted.In the specific case in the pirate scenario I sailed straight for the exit, except when my path was blocked I kept a tight formation and essentially let the other warring factions duke it out. They seem to prefer hitting each other, but I also took some hits and losses and in addition I had to finish off the survivors who were still blocking my path. And I only made it on turn 12
so it looks to me that either the Prestog enemy needs to have less ships or else I should have way more gold, which probably means go back to the Point of the North scenario and try finishing it earlier, which might mean more casulaties.