World Conquest II

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gfgtdf
Developer

Re: World Conquest II

Post by gfgtdf »

I agree that long names for save files are a problem (or at least quite annoying). However to be displayed in objectives I prefer be nice and clear rather than short... this remember me I was thinking about do a feature request to use id= as value for one and name= for the otherone, that way I could use a short name and a long one for each propose. Do you think worth a feature request?
No, the id= value is the untranslatable id of the scenario and should never be shown to the user except for debugging purposes.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Gobling

Post by Gobling »

in the move training, there is a " + move defense " , what is that? what does " move defense " mean?
all my suggestion is OK and welcome to say NO:)
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Gobling wrote:in the move training, there is a " + move defense " , what is that? what does " move defense " mean?
It means unit gains +1 defense for each max moves unit has (a Ghost with 9 MP gains +9% defense).

I know I should explain it better to player, but I doubt if write a long sentence in trait tool tip (as I do with "full movement on turn recruited or recalled"), or give it a short name and give full explanation in WoCopedia. As English is not my native language, I would enjoy advises from users about preferd choice and exact words to name or describe it.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

OOS was observed in this campaign. The reason is that your carrover calculation code passes a non-integer (like 45.675) amount= value to [gold], due to a bug in wesnoth, this amount is rounded differently on different machines. The reccomented fix is to manually cast the amount to an intger using [set_variable] ipart or [set_variable] round.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Thanks a lot gfgtdf for advise: I have uploaded today version 0.6.5.1 with a fix for that bug :)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Version 0.6.6 uploaded, it is fully compatible with 0.6.5
It has a change in The Guild recruiting pairs, imo this is still the weakest faction and da was troublesome for player paired with shaman. Now ghoul becomes paired with shaman and da can be spawned.
It also introduces a new unit type: Troll Hero. now is available for players as leader and for enemy as recall. It introduces more variation and compesates orcs for very weak recalls.
World Conquest II
ykot

Post by ykot »

hi tek.. i just wonder why there is no faction for orc+dwarves :? . is there a chance to add that faction. if cant why ?.. ''sry for being selfish and terrible with english'' :)
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

ykot wrote:hi tek.. i just wonder why there is no faction for orc+dwarves :? . is there a chance to add that faction. if cant why ?.. ''sry for being selfish and terrible with english'' :)
All 9 factions in WCII based in default era are "pairs" of a faction with healers and other without healers (wich is also a lawfull-chaotic pair). A faction with orcs and dwarves is perfectly possible and can be created in less than 20 minutes, problem is I dont considere it nor balanced neither interesting gameplay. I could be wrong, so anyone can create and test it.
World Conquest II
SatHyre

Post by SatHyre »

hi tek!
can you give to Ogre the legendary trait? his 11*4 damage kill everything and that is a waste :annoyed: .
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

SatHyre wrote:hi tek!
can you give to Ogre the legendary trait? his 11*4 damage kill everything and that is a waste :annoyed: .
I guess I can give him "epic". I dont think this hero was weak, but as it mixed with orc desserters and tfactions getting them are not overpowered, I think is reasonable. I have uploaded version 0.6.7 with this change.

New version includes several tweaks I had acumulated through testing. It also gives enemy small buffs at scenarios 4 and 5, wich I have not fully tested, but I am going to be out of Wesnoth for several months. However you guys can still do suggestions or bug reports, I can still manage that :)
World Conquest II
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Hi tekelili,

Thanks for making this add-on, it is really superb.

I wanted to suggest that you may want to rename the item "terrific disguise". I know that you are not a native speaker, and this is not a bad name, but as a native speaker, I think the name has some connotation that may be undesirable. I will try to explain.

The item gives "chaotic, darkness, corruption, distract", and the item's image looks a bit like a scarecrow.

The item is in contrast to the item "herald armor" which gives "lawful, illuminates, heals +4, first strike". "Herald armor" is quite a good name -- the word herald calls to mind an angel, so it matches the theme. If I think of where else this phrase "herald armor" might appear, I would guess it would be an item in Diablo II or some similar game.

So you might think of the "terrific disguise" item as a "dark armor" or "satanic armor" of some kind. However, the name you picked is more creative than that. "Terrific disguise", implies that it's not merely armor but some sort of deception.

The problem for me I think is in the word "terrific". There's nothing in the phrase "terrific disguise" that has any sort of dark or malevolent connotation. Disguise has some connotation of deception I suppose, which might be bad or evil, but the word "terrific" negates this.

I'm not sure if I know the best way to explain what the connotation here is for me...

It is a bit like the idea of a "back-handed" compliment vs. a regular compliment. Sometimes, words like "great" or "terrific" are used in totally sincere ways. You can imagine, a small child does their homework, and the teacher writes "10 / 10, Great!" or "Terrific!". If someone is described as a "great doctor" it implies quite sincere praise. Sometimes the word "great" can be used in a more neutral way. The orcish warrior has a weapon "Greatsword 10-3" -- it implies only that the weapon is strong, not that the weapon is "good". A "great mountain" might only be large and describing it as great doesn't imply that that the speaker thinks it is a good thing or a bad thing. Finally, an enemy may be described as a "great foe". It means the same as "formidible foe", not that the speaker "agrees sincerely" with the foe. A more extreme example -- the Ayatollah Khomeini popularized the phrase "the Great Satan" to describe the United States. By this he means, it is the largest or most important Satan. But, not that he thinks that the United States is "Great".

The word "terrific" is not as flexible as "great" in this way. When you say something is terrific, I think it means roughly, "this is great, and it is a joy to think of it". When the teacher writes "10 / 10, Terrific!" on the child's homework, it means that she is really thrilled with how good the homework was.

Native speakers will very rarely use the word "terrific" except for really genuine praise of some kind. When I think of who would use the word "terrific" in casual speech, I think of someone who has led a very sheltered life, and is perhaps a boy scout, who is absolutely thrilled by their merit badge projects or something. If the orcish warrior had a "terrific sword", it would be quite strange. Orcs are supposed to be formidible, but mostly unremarkable, and their weapons not of paritcularly good craftsmanship or quality. If Ayatollah Khomeini said that the United States was "the Terrific Satan"... it would be nonsensical, as far as I can tell.

And I think the problem is a limitation of the word "terrific". You might think that it could be a sensible phrase -- it describes something as "singularly evil" and also "terrific", so you might think it just implies that the speaker believes that he himself is also singularly evil. But I think this essentially never is done with the word terrific. For instance, there is an established way that villains speak in comic books and movies, where they acknowledge that they themselves are evil and it is a subtext of most of their conversation. For instance, if the Joker in a Batman movie sets up some kind of attack, he might tell his henchmen "it's going to be quite a show", or use some other wordplay like this, where it is a phrase that could be genuinely spoken by an upright citizen in some context, but in his context, it takes on an evil and twisted interpretation. When he does this though, he won't certain use words that are too much a "boy scout" word -- those words are often used to signal the lack of such meanings, and defeat the wordplay or otherwise be odd. That being said, I am doubting myself now -- I could imagine for instance, the Joker saying to batman "you put on a terrific performance!" just before he is lowered into a vat of acid or something. But I am convinced that some phrases "terrific Satan" or "terrific apocalypse" would never be used even by such a speaker.

If I try to imagine a scenario where the phrase "terrific disguise" would be used, it might be in a sentence like "that's a terrific disguise!" or "oh, what a terrific disguise!". It would be used to genuinely praise some disguise that a person is thrilled by, and because that is somewhat unlikely, there is also a connotation that the disguise is probably in fact lame somehow. For instance, I would imagine that in some episode of "The Brady Bunch", it might be that Jan and Marsha (don't remember real names) dress up for Halloween and praise eachother's costumes this way.

It might be that you really meant to suggest "terrifying disguise", or "horrifying disguise"? Either of these would have a much more clearly evil and negative connotation, just as "Herald Armor" has a connotation of good / angels. But terrific and terrifying really mean very different things... I have no idea what the etymology of the word "terrific" is, it is surely quite tortured I suppose, but anyways this is clearly some quirk of English.

Let me suggest some other possible names:

- Visage of Darkness
- Mask of Abominations
- Grim Trophy

Once again, thanks for making this add-on, it is a lot of fun.

Best, iceiceice
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Grim Trophy is a great name. I like it.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I noticed that this capmpaign contains a

Code: Select all

#ifver WESNOTH_VERSION < 1.12.4
[event]
    name=turn 1
    [message]
        caption="Warning!"
        image=wesnoth-icon.png
        message= _ "You have an outdated Wesnoth version which is affected by a security bug, has outdated image files and prone to cause OOS erros playing this campaign. Please, consider upgrading Wesnoth to version 1.12.4 or later."
    [/message]
[/event]
#endif
This is problematic in mp since those macors will be evalulated on host, so the message '"You have an outdated Wesnoth version which is affected by a security bug, has outdated image files and prone to cause OOS erros playing this campaign. Please, consider upgrading Wesnoth to version 1.12.4 or later." will be displayed too all players when the host used an outdated wesnoth version, even if those players use newer versions.

You should eigher use a check that checks the version of all involved players (see for exapel my addon 'check same version' or Ageless era which contains afaik also a code to do that) or change the string accodingly to "the host of this game uses an outdated wesnoth version..."
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

or Ageless era which contains afaik also a code to do that
Ageless checks versions of ageless, not of wesnoth. (Thought I did write it based on your addon.)
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

iceiceice wrote:- Visage of Darkness
- Mask of Abominations
- Grim Trophy
Thanks iceiceice. I am prone to change any string. My criteria is some short of democracy-tirany: I will change any string to community taste... as long it doesnt unplease me too much :whistle:
Let me give my opinion just as anyone other user: I chosed that name because I imagined some kind of Freddy Krueger clothes. Unit wear a hat, a red-green old pullover and hand-blades and suddenly earns evil powers and presence. In my language I thought "disfraz terrorífico" was a good name and I tryed to translate it to English. Let me hear other opinions, think about it, an I will try choose a better name :)

I will also try to fix issue pointed by gfgtdf in next version.
World Conquest II