Red Winter (Loyalist Campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sire

Re: Red Winter

Post by Sire »

Version 0.0.9 has been released! The major highlights are the polishing and balancing changes to scenarios Three and Four, as well as scenario Five being playable (but incomplete, play at own risk!)

For further details, check the changelog!
Changelog 0.0.9:
General Discussion:
Scenario Four, Night to Day Mechanic:
@ Inky

Thanks for the additional feedback and finding the typos! However, I will be keeping the line "I never eaten this much in ages!", as it is supposed to represent a lower class soldier partaking in a massive feast.

Anyways, that’s all the updates I have on Red Winter. While I hope to have Scenario Five finished by next week, I can make no promises.

Until next week (or when I respond to feedback),
- Sire
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hello, I've replayed the new versions of S3 and S4 (I'll probably wait until S5 is completed to play it)

S3 Fall of Estlyn
Spoiler:
RW-Fall_of_Estlyn_replay2.gz
S3 Normal difficulty
(142.87 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
(to anyone watching these replays - I recommend checking skip animation or turning the speed way up in preferences)

S4 Esterian Woods
Spoiler:
RW-Esterian_Woods_replay2.gz
S4 Normal difficulty
(143.15 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
Sire wrote:There is also the cause for concern for players who may deliberately abuse this mechanic (they know there is high minimum gold and the tier cost disparity, so they spend as much money as possible to lessen the difficulty of the next chapter by recalling.)
How about just changing the price of recruits to 20g? This would let the players who have lost a lot of units to also get lvl 2 units for 20 gold, without them having to recruit them in the previous scenario. Of course it would still be more advantageous to recall due to higher level, and loyal and valiant traits. This way you could balance each scenario under the assumption that the player has a full list of recalls.

What I do think can be abused is that S4 (Esterian Woods) has no turn limit and no pressure at the end (like S3) so if the player has the patience they can level units indefinitely.

---

I'm enjoying the updates; thanks for your continued hard work in updating the campaign!
Sire

Post by Sire »

@ Inky

Thanks again for the feedback!
Feedback Responses:
Developmental Update - September 21st, 2015

Not much progress has been made last week as I decided to devote my free time to playing games instead of working on Red Winter. It's nice to play some Super Mario Maker, Shovel Knight's Plague of Shadows expansion, as well as revisit the Legend of the Invincibles campaign for BoW.

Perhaps this week I can make some progress, but no promises!
- Sire
Changelog 0.0.10 (Not Yet Implemented):
Sire

Post by Sire »

Developmental Update - September 29th, 2015

Another slow week for development on Red Winter. While I did manage to code in most of my "makeshift potion shop" in for Scenario Five, not much else has been done regarding further development on the campaign. Needless to say, I will not be attaching a "changelog" for this update as very little has been done.

Such is the fate of responsibilities. At least there's always time, right?
- Sire
Sire

Post by Sire »

Developmental Update - October 6th, 2015

Some progress has been made! Most efforts last week has been toward Scenario Five and tinkering around with my makeshift shop, and if all goes according to plan, I should be able to release 0.0.10 next week.

Scenario Five features four main factions fighting on a massive battlefield with the usual Red Winter modifications. Each faction has some sort of mechanic that they use (Super Unit, Map Control, Massive Army, and for the player, Potions!) to make the scenario a little more interesting. The purpose of this map is to let the player go crazy with the recall list and temporarily make them even more powerful with potions. Scenario Six will be the finale, and I have some plans for some sort of epilogue, "text-heavy" chapter after that. Otherwise, aside from needing sprites, portraits, and story art, this campaign will be practically finished!

A part of me is toying around with the idea to make additional campaigns, one for each main faction (aside from the Khalifate as I currently do not know how to incorporate them in the storyline, as well as write something suitable for that faction). However, the plans I have in mind require two new custom factions to be created, and as I have nothing in the art department, any form of continuation at the present is unlikely.

Instead, the other part of me wants to work on a side campaign that is essentially just a mission pack. It features characters and story elements from BoW mainline, but features scripted scenarios similar in the vein like I did for Red Winter. As a mission pack, most scenarios are independent of one another and it allows players to explore events mentioned in mainline, but are not part of any campaign. For example, the Betrayal at the Ford of Abez, the fight between Delfador and Eldred, and even the initial confrontation against the Orcish Warlord from A Tale of Two Brothers. The benefits of this is that I am just using art assets that already exist, so I can focus purely on the story and gameplay. There is also no real pressure to finish anything as I can work on scenarios one at a time, and that I can always just add more scenarios as additional inspiration kicks in.

Anyways, with all that text out of the way, that is about it for this developmental update. Thank you for reading,
- Sire
Changelog 0.0.10 (Not Yet Implemented):
Sire

Post by Sire »

New Release: 0.0.10 - October 13th, 2015

A little late, but Scenario Five of Red Winter has finally been released!

Of course, like all scenarios, it can always use more balancing, polishing, and improvement. Specifically, it could probably use some more work during the "late game", as after the initial (overwhelming) forces are dealt with, the scenario transforms into moving your units across the map to slay the enemy leaders chilling out at their respective bases.

Either way, I hope you will enjoy this latest update to Red Winter. Thank you for playing.
-Sire
Changelog 0.0.10:
Sire

Post by Sire »

Developmental Update - October 20th, 2015

No progress has been made during the last week as I refocused my efforts to other projects.

I expect Red Winter's development to be slowed down, but still hope to release a "finished" version (completely playable, all text and dialogue in) before the end of the year. After that, it will mostly be the matter of all the extra artwork, balancing, and polishing needed to fully "complete" the campaign.

However, I am probably going to split Scenario Five into two parts, essentially the lower half of the map and the upper half. This cuts down on waiting on AI turns and allows the player to be more focused at the task at hand, and also allows for more personalized events instead of the semi-generic ones I have now. This should also help with the pacing of the campaign as well.

When I resume development, it will likely be on revamping Scenario Five (parts one and two) instead of jumping into the finale that is Scenario 6 and the epilogue. Hopefully, if all goes well, everything will be done before the end of the year.

Thank you for reading this latest developmental update,
- Sire
Sire

Post by Sire »

Developmental Update - November 2nd, 2015 - Development On Hold

Once again, I have made no progress toward further development of Red Winter, and foresee not making any progress for quite some time. In addition to focusing my efforts on other projects, my time will be limited in the month of November as University work has to take priority over these projects.

All that said, I still aim to finish Red Winter before the end of the year, in December, but I do not expect much progress to be made during this month. I hope to update this thread again with an actual release of Red Winter when it is ready.

Thank you for playing,
- Sire
Joulupukki

Post by Joulupukki »

Hi Sire ur campaing is awesome and I am here beacuse in fall of Estlyn I reached the escape point with Aethac but the scenario did not end there and when I put Aethac next to escape point scenario ended but Aethac died and in next scenario he isnt there anymore.I won the the fourth campaing without Aethac but story suffers without him and in return to estlyn theres no one exept for that mechanical dwarf.I know ur busy right now but plz fix this problem as soon as u can so I can play ur awesome campaing.And sorry for my bad english.
Sire

Post by Sire »

@ Joulupukki

Thank you for reporting the bug. This bug appeared when I changed a few elements of the code regarding the escape, mainly to allow the Heavy Infantryman line different traits and to allow unique escape dialogue for the heroes.

I uploaded a hotfix to the Add-Ons server that should fix this problem. Please report if there are any more issues.

Once again, thank you for reporting the bug. I hope you enjoy the campaign,
- Sire
Joulupukki

Post by Joulupukki »

Hi again sire.Fall of estlyn didnt seem to work when I updated it.I tried to play it again but the same thing happened what I told u before.Do I have to start campaing again or just scenario.
Sire

Post by Sire »

@ Joulupukki

Try playing from the end of Scenario Two instead of loading up an existing Scenario Three save file. When I did a quick test again, it worked properly.

What should happen is...

1: The player moves all or most of his units to the escape point.
2: The player moves Aethac to the escape point.
3: Aethac is put to the recall list and everyone left on the battlefield dies.
4: Aethac successfully appears in the next scenario, alongside any survivors (most appearing in the recall list).
Sire

Post by Sire »

Developmental Update - December 14th, 2015 - Development Resumed

At last, I have some proper time to sit down and continue working on this campaign.

As I may have stated previously, the goal was to originally release version 1.0.0 before the end of the year, meaning a finished campaign (a revamped Scenario Five and the finale, Scenario Six, as well as an epilogue). While I'll try to meet my original deadline goal, I may have to cut out the proper long epilogue for the next release. This does not mean I will not add an epilogue whatsoever, but my current priority is finishing up the campaign and making it stable and playable. All that will be left after the release is balancing, bug fixes, and polishing up any rough spots for the campaign.

Now, why the revamp to Scenario Five? The problem with the original is while it sounds nice on paper (a large battle that wraps up a good amount of character arcs), in terms of Wesnoth pacing, big battles is not something BoW excels at. While I am used to the slog of running units across multiplayer in Random Maps, the pacing does slow down immensely near the end of the game once the tide is turned. So, to remedy this issue, I have split Scenario Five into two parts, one that focuses on dealing with Mogrim on the bottom half of the original map, and the second part dealing with Mal Rudrick and Covos on the top half. Of course, I'll toss in my usual modifications and mechanics in an attempt to make the battle more interesting.

Luckily, Scenario Six (the finale) is relatively straightforward, save for two important events that happen near the start and end of the battle. If you have played the campaign and have been reading my other posts on the forums, what will happen should be fairly obvious.

Anyways, at any rate, back to work. Depending on my progress, I may release the revamped Scenario Five next week and Scenario Six the week thereafter. We shall see what happens.

Thank you for playing,
- Sire
Sire

Post by Sire »

Developmental Update - December 28th, 2015

Well, so much for making plans, as it almost always seems that something happens every time I decide to set time aside to actively work on something I care about. Suffering from illnesses suck, especially during the holidays.

However, Red Winter is still under development to be completed, but just not on my original deadline of "before the end of 2015". Hopefully I'll be able to finish the gameplay elements and scenarios soon, but there never seems to be much certainty these days...

Thank you for reading,
- Sire
Sire

Post by Sire »

New Release: 0.0.11 - April 24rd, 2016

Sometimes keeping these developmental logs is depressing as the last "main release" was back in October (Oct 13th of 2015 specifically). At any rate, here's a new release of Red Winter!

The main focus of this update is the revamped Scenario Five, which is now broken down to two separate parts. This is a "Test Version Release", meaning that most of the intended gameplay and dialogue are present, but there will likely be balance issues. Scenario Five (both parts) is meant to be difficult and to clean up your recall list to prepare your units for the finale in Scenario Six (still in development).

One of the major things I'll need to do is to properly sit down and test the campaign start to finish. It is clear that the earlier missions are much more polished and refined in comparison to the later ones, and the sense of "player progression" and "campaign difficulty" is something that will likely need to be looked at.

As always, here is the changelog. Note that the changelog will contain spoilers, so read at your own risk!

I hope you enjoy the update,
- Sire
Changelog 0.0.11: