Tiny Request

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Tiny Request

Post by Velensk »

Just a small feature I'd like to ask for to enable a feature in one of my eras to not be a problem.

Could a change be implemented that would make it so that while a factions leader is unknown, the flag shown appears to be the default flag?

The reason I'd like this is that in the Era of Four Moons the factions have different flags, even in multiplayer. However, due to the little indicator shown at the top, this spoils what faction your enemy is playing.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Eagle_11

Re: Tiny Request

Post by Eagle_11 »

Ehh who cares you usually learn what they have picked soon enough at around turn 2-5.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'd classify that as a bug, really.

Although, what would be the exact correct behavior? Should the enemy faction flag be revealed if you can see even one of their units? If factions share units (such as Mage in Default Era), then that could in rare cases reveal the enemy faction prematurely, although in practise I believe that would be a rather insignificant problem. Ideally I think the flag would be revealed only when the units you can see uniquely identify the enemy faction, but that might or might not be easy to write.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

As a stop-gap, can you just use a common "flag_icon", but give them unique "flag" keys?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Thanks for the idea.

@Eagle: Your opening gambit is pretty important in multiplayer. Having advanced assurance of your opponents faction can allow you to make rushes that normally would be too risky against an unknown faction (practically an instant loss vs some enemy factions) but can be guaranteed to give you a strong advantage/initiative if your opponent is unfortunate enough to be the wrong faction.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Yes i know, my point was who recruits blindly ?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Anyone who wants to grab their villages in an efficient manner.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

You are going to recruit scouts for village grabbing, better a bit income less at beginning turns rather than blindly recruiting grunts and then bumping into undead.