Fingerbone of Destiny [Feedback and Development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Fingerbone of Destiny [Feedback and Development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

The Underness Series - for Battle For Wesnoth 1.12 only!
Part I: The Desolation of Karlag
Part II: The Blind Sentinel
Part III: The Stone of the North
Part IV: The Invasion of the Western Cavalry
Part V: Fingerbone of Destiny - You are here -

The final and last part of the Underness Series has finally been published.
Campaign features:
- speaking soldiers when selected and ordered to move
- corpses left behind on the battlefield

This topic is for development announcements, and for bug reports.
Aimed for intermediate and expert players, on 3 difficulties: Normal, Hard, and Chaos.
Has 25 battle-scenarios and a linear, complete end to the storyline of the Underness Series. All questions shall be answered in the last scenarios.

Current available version: 1.2.0
Upcoming: upon request

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Last edited by WhiteWolf on October 3rd, 2016, 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
ahmannar

Re: Fingerbone of Destiny [Feedback and Development]

Post by ahmannar »

While trying to load the campaign the following error appearead:

O seguintes extra teve erro e não pode ser carregado:
C:/Users/ADMIN/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.12/data/add-ons/Fingerbone_Of_Destiny/_main.cfg

Por favor reporta isto ao responsável por este extra.

Detalhes:

Macro/file '~add-ons/The_Blind_Sentinel/utils/utils.cfg' is missing
at ~add-ons\\Fingerbone_Of_Destiny\\units\\transport\\Catapult.cfg:3
included from ~add-ons\\Fingerbone_Of_Destiny\\_main.cfg:57

After that it says that the purgatory scenario is unknown and the game goes back to the main screen. Playing the 1.12.4 version of BfW in windows 7.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hey,

Thanks for this really quick reply. I always seem to forget to check whether the campaign works only by itself...and I forgot again.
Apparently the campaign at one point expected The Blind Sentinel to be installed, and since you (obviously) don't have it, it crashed.
Fixed this, and tested the campaign alone, then fixed another one of these...and now it should run smoothly.

Updated 1.1.2, download it, and it'll start surely.

Thanks, best regards,
WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

A rather brief bug-report.
1. Lots of typos. (The same mistake repeats throughout, doughter for example. I believe it has something to do with your machine.)
2. Pallordo gets killed even by a single successful hit in Scorched_Lands. It should technically trigger defeat (so says objectives) but it doesn't. I shielded him till the end, but just before victory triggers he falls and dies.
3. The death of (another)Mummy doesn't result in defeat.
4. Thirst of revenge (the best scenario so far according to me) - It is said that(hint) Denvan is somewhere in north. I found his guard (forgot his name) but could see no Denvan around. Debugged, used a bat to scout and found Denvan to be south to the starting point. south east to be precise.
No game crashing bugs yet except for the one which was mentioned.
Story has been quite good thus far. You may trim down the campaign though, some of the scenarios really had nothing to offer. Trolls, Orcs, Monsters or Undead attacking for no reason again and again.
Sound feature is quite nice to begin with. Custom made heroes with varied (and new) traits would be a great addition :)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

1. Your guess is right, my laptop keyboard is not the best anymore. I'll try to hunt these typos somehow.

Storyline spoiler!:
3. The death of the Mummy must be fixed then. I'll try to it and update today.

4.The Thirst for Revenge map is still partly under development. It was only tested to publishment-OK level, and that's it. Denvan sometimes still tends to suicide, and sometimes he wanders off, aaand sometimes he works as supposed to. I think this is because the AI has lots of guardian units, and very few regular units. Namely, only Denvan and his guard. I'll try to fix this asap.

I don't want to shorten the campaign. Too long journeys would appear then, and it also offers a little suspension I think.
Basically these filling maps you talk of are 2-Departure, 13-The Manhunt, 17-High Waterfall, and that's it. I know that you mean other maps as well with random enemies that are not meaningful to the story, but events to characters, little twists, or something important still happens on these maps. For example, 15-The Wrath of the Mountain. Your enemies are dull, but one of your heroes doesn't make it. This why this map is called like that. If I compressed all these events to the main battles, the campaign would become short, and rushed.
I think that a 25 scenarios long campaign can suffer three mainly eventless maps. ;)

These speaking-sounds are from freesound.org, and they are few, with not enough variants. If anyone has anything to offer in this regard, it'd be very welcome! :)

About custom heroes...Arrandor already has a level 4 variant, and he has access to dextrous trait. Violinde is a completely custom unit with custom graphics.
I plan to customise Burton, but I don't think Thandron, Pallordo, or anyone else would need customised graphics. In-game graphics are far better than those I make or find somewhere :D
I'll consider your suggestion on custom traits.

EDITED:
Just letting everyone know, that I won't be available for the next week, and I cannot answer posts and pm's for the time being. I'll be back... :D

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Last edited by WhiteWolf on February 14th, 2016, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

1.1.3 beta has been updated.
It brings only a couple of bug- and typofixes, including the Mummy, and a little progress with Revenge map. Testing is not finished yet.

Best regards, keep tuned
WhiteWolf
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Hi, thank you for creating this good campaign :D
I played through on "EASY" level and found some bugs during my play, pls fix ;)

* 18_Entrance_To_The_Vault
Unit type "Oricish Assassin2" in the side 2 recruit list is missing.
When Krohov is defeated in Valley of Sorrow, his HP in this scenario begins with negative value...

* 23_The_Gates_Of_The_Underness
There seems to be problem in preprocessor flags (EASY, NORMAL, HARD). On EASY, both of "ifdef EASY" and "ifndef HARD" match and more enemies are spawned. (The leader units of thieves and elves will also be duplicated/triplicated, respectively.) Elves are reallly too many... I need several times of save/loads.

The scenario-duration poison is a terribly annoying trap... :augh:

* 25_Peace_Wins_every_War.cfg
Unit type "Monk" in the side 3 recruit list is missing. (only for EASY difficulty)

* trivial comment
The turn limit of 4_Black_River is really severe for me even in the easiest difficulty. Poisons of nagas are terribly annoying.
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hey,

Thanks for the report :) I'll fix them this weekend hopefully.

EDIT:
Uploaded 1.1.4 with the fix.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I got to say that this series of campaigns probably was the best of wesnoth in terms of storyline and overall plot, and this last one wraps all up in a awesome way. Will your next work be somewhat related to this series, or will it be a stand-alone story?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Thanks for the compliments :)

"The Ravagers" will be completely stand-alone. It'll definitely take place somewhere in the farnoth, and it'll involve the Dark Elves race :)

Regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Uploaded 1.2.0, providing the now fully-balanced campaign.

Also note, that each part of the US have been updated - this is because I finally switched to BFW 1.12.6 from 12.0 (so late because of linux distribution issues).
The other updates are only securty updates which only concern the add-on server, so it's not important for users to update.
This is just a note if someone notices that everything can be updated :)
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Post 1
Just starting this campaign and finished scenario 'Purgatory', 'Departure' and 'South Guard'.
Spoiler:
Post 2
Finished scenario 'Black River' and 'Test of Friendship'.
Spoiler:
Post 3
Finished starting from scenario 'Elvish Lady' to 'Master at Words'. In 'Master at Words'...
Spoiler:
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Post 1
Finished scenario 'Book of Pernicius', there are no more bugs during some of the scenarios I passed. As Intro of 'Sleepless Shore'...
Spoiler:
Post 2
Finished starting from scenario 'Sleepless Shore' to 'Scorched Lands'.
In 'Scorched Lands'...
Spoiler:
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Post 1
Finished starting from scenario 'The Manhunt' to 'Valley of Sorrow'. Luckily, none of bugs as I encountered from some of those scenarios. :D

In 'Wrath of Mountain'...
Spoiler:
Post 2
Finished scenario 'High Waterfall' and 'Entrance to the Vault'. There's strange resistant from lvl 4 Arrandor...
Spoiler:
Regards, Swampy.

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Sorry for neglecting your posts for so long, I am travelling a lot lately. :)
DukeSwampy wrote: July 27th, 2019, 3:20 am Finished scenario 'Black River' and 'Test of Friendship'.
Spoiler:
Sadly it's the same bug as it were with all previous parts. It'll be fine in 1.14.

DukeSwampy wrote: July 27th, 2019, 3:20 am Finished starting from scenario 'Elvish Lady' to 'Master at Words'. In 'Master at Words'...
Spoiler:
It has quite a simple explanation: the campaign was written about when 1.12 was released with the Khalifate as the new faction. I simply wanted to use them somewhere, hence the southern map and them being recruited everywhere.
DukeSwampy wrote: July 28th, 2019, 5:48 pm Post 1
Finished scenario 'Book of Pernicius', there are no more bugs during some of the scenarios I passed. As Intro of 'Sleepless Shore'...
Spoiler:
Much like Western Cavalry, this campaign too needs a story revision here and there. I do think Fingerbone stands on much better grounds, but there are stupid things in it like this, which need to be redesigned, recalculated.
DukeSwampy wrote: July 28th, 2019, 5:48 pm Finished starting from scenario 'Sleepless Shore' to 'Scorched Lands'.
In 'Scorched Lands'...
Spoiler:
It's just a mixed "southern outlaws" recruit list.
DukeSwampy wrote: July 30th, 2019, 3:04 pm In 'Wrath of Mountain'...
Spoiler:
I checked, it's a bug, so it's possible to win just by defeating everyone.
DukeSwampy wrote: July 30th, 2019, 3:04 pm Finished scenario 'High Waterfall' and 'Entrance to the Vault'. There's strange resistant from lvl 4 Arrandor...
Spoiler:
It's supposed to be human. Where do you see it with undead (skeleton) resistances?
The sprite is... well, it's been frankied from the Banebow, so it can be misleading, it's just not a very good sprite.