The Lasoreth Saga (Concept)

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sire

The Lasoreth Saga (Concept)

Post by Sire »

So, as some of you may know, I am working on a campaign called Red Winter, a Loyalist campaign that takes place during Asheviere's rise to power in 501 YW, where as I have written in my UMC campaign, she invades the Estmarks. However, Red Winter is but the start of a series of campaigns that, one day, I hope to complete, but in terms of realistic goals, I do not see this occurring any time soon. In order to accomplish the entire saga, I will need to create at least two more factions and require artists for the portraits and unit sprites. Realistically speaking from the current perspective, it will probably never be done.

Thus, I am throwing the concept out here for others to read, enjoy, and perhaps even take inspiration from. Please note that everything from this point on will be considered spoilers for my campaigns, provided I ever get around to making them all. In particular, I will delve into each of the playable factions of Wesnoth, and as my timeline currently stands, Wesnoth Pre-History and Years Wesnoth 500-600. Remember, these are but concepts and unfinished notes, but with that in mind, I hope you enjoy the read.

Lore Notes, Wesnoth Pre History:
Campaign Notes:
Last edited by Sire on December 20th, 2015, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: The Lasoreth Saga (Concept)

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

You remind me of myself. I am making a campaign saga as well. I will make myself a cup of coffee and then start reading this.
*sips coffee* Hmm, I have read the whole thing and I must say that I would love to see this story being made into several campaigns. Since you are making 7 campaigns, you should keep the number of scenarios between 10-12 since long campaigns tend to make players lose interest. (I stopped playing LotI after chapter 6). Good Luck.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

That was an interesting read, thanks for the insights.
Spoiler:
Best of luck in your endeavour! Like his Lordship I think this could make a really cool series of campaigns.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
ekeron

Post by ekeron »

This sounds like it would be an awesome series of campaigns.
I like that the titles are all thematically connected to the color red.
Little details like that are always cool.

A troll faction would be cool but I don't understand why none of them tried to rebuild their society after the war ended.
Did Lasoreth put a curse on them to make them dumber or something?

You said you would need two new factions. I'm assuming you are referring to the ancient troll civilization as one of them. But I'm not sure what the second faction would be. Is it Lasoreth's nether forces?
Completed official campaigns: ToTB, AOI, TSG, HttT, Liberty, HoT
Completed unofficial campaigns: The Amaranthine stone, Bad moon rising part 1, Ooze mini campaign
Sire

Post by Sire »

@ Lord-Knightmare

I am fully aware of campaign length, especially after working on Red Winter. The number of scenarios does not really bother me as much as the pacing and overall time it takes to finish a campaign. I am fine with longer campaigns, as long as it has something interesting that hooks the player in. Another important aspect I learned is that large battles do not translate well into Wesnoth, especially with the RNG, as the gameplay slowly turns into a a boring mess of moving units from one end of the map to the other instead of tactical combat and fun events.

As for LotL, I will admit, while I do enjoy playing it, it is a rather lengthy saga and it is easy to lose interest at times. I think the longest vanilla campaign I've played was Delfador's Memoirs, which was somewhat enjoyable while it lasted, but it could definitely use improvement.

Thank you for reading.

@ Whiskeyjack

Thank you for reading.

@ ekeron

The Trolls are more of an expanded faction instead of a new one. The reason they did not rebuild their society is because almost all of their wise leaders and teachers perished during the war. The rare few that remained could not catch the former glory of the Troll civilization, but still managed to maintain some comprehensible dialogue (leading to some of the rare "intelligent" trolls seen in some campaigns). Over time, without the education of the wise ones, the trolls gradually became more and more dimwitted over the time as they forgot the old ways.

The two new factions I need are called "Nether Forces" and "Nether Prime". Nether Forces represent the mortal coverts of Lasoreth, which feature a variety of races, not just humans and elves. Nether Prime represents the proper forces from the Nether Realm itself. While I would like them to be balanced for multiplayer play, these factions are originally meant to be NPC only and may be more powerful than the default factions.

Here are my current notes if you are interested. Text in red are extra notes added for this post.
Nether Forces:
Nether Prime:
Expanded Troll Line:
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]