Rally For Roanic v0.4.1 [SP Campaign for 1.12]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chief_Chasso

Rally For Roanic v0.4.1 [SP Campaign for 1.12]

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Story
After years of continual war with the Klasha orc tribe, the great Estdin nation is in disarray. Across the land, fragmented, war weary cities and townships stand dysfunctional. As the people are under constant threat from marauding orcs and uprising rebels, a young king struggles to keep Estdin from unraveling. As all hope seems lost, Roanic, an aspiring commander of the Estdin army, must rally the people to preserve the nation.

Features
  • Single player campaign, novice level
  • 14 scenarios (11 playable, 3 dialog only)
  • Skirmish style scenarios set on small scale maps
  • Play as loyalists, battling mostly orcs and outlaws
  • Includes some custom units including Armored Highwayman and Armored Footpad
Feedback
Post feedback or report bugs in this thread.

Download
Available on the 1.12.x add-ons server.

Releases
Versions
  • v0.4.1 uploaded to 1.12.x add-ons server on 2.5.16
  • v0.3.1 uploaded to 1.12.x add-ons server on 11.15.15
  • v0.2.1 WIP uploaded to 1.12.x add-ons server on 2.28.15
  • v0.1.1 WIP uploaded to 1.12.x add-ons server on 12.14.14
Last edited by Chief_Chasso on February 5th, 2016, 11:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rally For Roanic v0.1.1 WIP [SP Campaign for 1.12]

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey,
Great campaign that I really enjoyed playing! I only found one minor bug. When you get the loyal rider he presents himself as "Gwumyr the messenager". First of all he has another name ingame and secondly shouldn't it be "messenger"?
Paulomat4
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Hey Paulomat4, thanks for playing. And thanks for reporting this bug. I will be sure to include a fix in the next version.
Chep

Post by Chep »

hey,

I am really enjoying your campaign so far.

A few things I noticed: The difficulty level seems to vary quite a lot.
I am playing on "hard" since the campaign was advertised as "novice level" so I figured that would be a normal difficulty.

Most levels are indeed of a normal difficulty level, with a few exceptions:

- the "flashback"-level is friggin hard. the enemy has so much mobility and damage that you a decent amount of luck to make it through as they just run past you or kill one of your men and then basically 1-shot the peasants.

- the "help defend the fort against orc&saurians"-level is too easy. I think I finished on turn 14 out of 25. Considering this is a "survive as long as you can" on hard (and I really am not that good of a player) this seems too easy
- the one where your hero meets Ladoc for the first time was also rather easy.

- sometimes the turn limit is quite harsh (I think the 2nd or so level I finished on turn 23 out of 25 and for the mission on the beach you only have 8 turns to kill the Naga leader in the water? I got lucky and she can out to attack but that seems too low.

- the "power ups/orbs" seem rather boring. sure they give you bonus damage but I think a sword, shield, armor, boots or something more unique would feel a lot more interesting and valuable for the player

edit:
- the level with the King and the villages had the problem that the King has no melee weapon but he and his 2 heros just love to leave their castle and suicide, he could really do with a more defensive AI behaviour

- BUG:
In "A Traitor Confronted" the enemy ships unload their units and the game doesn't check if those tiles are occupied or not. I lost my mage because he happened to stand on a tile where the game decided to unload a Javelineer.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

@Chep, thanks for playing and providing feedback.

I will admit as it stands, the campaign as a whole is pretty unbalanced, especially on hard.
Chep wrote:the "flashback"-level is friggin hard. the enemy has so much mobility and damage that you a decent amount of luck to make it through as they just run past you or kill one of your men and then basically 1-shot the peasants.
Yeah, this is a tough scenario, probably a little too difficult. To make it a bit more manageable, I was thinking about adding some starting units already in place to help protect the peasants.
Chep wrote:the "help defend the fort against orc&saurians"-level is too easy. I think I finished on turn 14 out of 25. Considering this is a "survive as long as you can" on hard (and I really am not that good of a player) this seems too easy
I agree with you. Perhaps the Orc leader should have more gold, so he continues to send swarms of orcs. This would make it harder to attack him (thus ending the scenario).
Chep wrote:sometimes the turn limit is quite harsh (I think the 2nd or so level I finished on turn 23 out of 25 and for the mission on the beach you only have 8 turns to kill the Naga leader in the water? I got lucky and she can out to attack but that seems too low
There is a low turn limit on the 2nd scenario to prevent players from camping and farming experiance. At least that was the intent. Regarding scenario 5 (the beach level)- you should be able to easily overpower the enemy leaders. Usually, the Naga leader moves to the coast if you bait him. With your mages, you should be able to take him out (usually, in the first couple of turns). Again, at least that was the design intent. I will change the turn limit to 10 on the hard difficulty level.
Chep wrote:the "power ups/orbs" seem rather boring. sure they give you bonus damage but I think a sword, shield, armor, boots or something more unique would feel a lot more interesting and valuable for the player
I see what you mean. I personally like the orbs, but I was thinking of adding in a few various other power ups like you mentioned.
Chep wrote:the level with the King and the villages had the problem that the King has no melee weapon but he and his 2 heros just love to leave their castle and suicide, he could really do with a more defensive AI behaviour
I haven't had too many problems with this... but I will add more defensive AI behavior.
Chep wrote:BUG: In "A Traitor Confronted" the enemy ships unload their units and the game doesn't check if those tiles are occupied or not. I lost my mage because he happened to stand on a tile where the game decided to unload a Javelineer.
Thanks for reporting this bug. I'll be sure to include a fix in the next version.
Chief_Chasso

Re: Rally For Roanic v0.3.1 [SP Campaign for 1.12]

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Version 0.3.1 is now available on the 1.12.x add-ons server. All scenarios are now complete (including a dialog only "epilogue" scenario at the end), plus a few scenarios have been completely redesigned. Also, some story elements were edited. This release is far more polished than the previous version, but there is still a long way to go (especially in terms of balancing). Please feel free to post any feedback or report any bugs. Thank you for playing!
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Rally for Roanic 0.3.1 (Wesnoth 1.12.4)

Hey, I really enjoyed playing this campaign!

Individual scenario comments:
Spoiler:
General comments:
Spoiler:
Some typos:
Spoiler:

I attached my replays in case it helps with balancing. I played on hard without saveloads, except on scenario 4 where I changed the difficulty to normal since I don't think it's possible (without massive luck) on hard. But since that scenario uses a different recruit list and has no carryover hopefully it doesn't affect the rest of the playthrough too much.

Thanks for a fun campaign!
Attachments
RFR0.3.1replays.zip
Wesnoth 1.12.4
(540.48 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Hey Inky, thank you very much for playing and posting this very detailed feedback (it certainly helps). And I'm glad you enjoyed the campaign. I know there is a lot of work left in terms of balancing and it's something I'm still trying to work on. Your comments go a long way in helping me. Regarding your:
Individual scenario comments:
Spoiler:
General comments:
Spoiler:
Regarding the typos, wow, I'm extremely embarrassed... :oops: This obviously is the result of not taking my time and laziness. I need to work on that. I greatly appreciate your help with proof-reading. I'll incorporate all your edits and add you to the credits for your help with feedback and proof-reading.

Thank you very much for the replays. And thanks again for all your feedback. I'll definitely take all your comments into consideration and incorporate what I can in the next version. Thanks for playing! ;)

Edit: (2/5/16) I've uploaded v0.4.1 to the 1.12.x add-ons server.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Rally For Roanic v0.4.1-2 [SP Campaign for 1.16]

Post by Konrad2 »

Goodwin and Ladoc can advance to Grand Marshal, but Roanic can't? -> This seems to be an oversight, because the final scenario has an [if] block dedicated to the case of Roanic being a Grand Marshal.

S1
01 Orcland Run -> Orcland Run
Cian and Felim have only loyal markers even though they should have silver crowns.

S2
02 The Ruse Of An Outlaw -> The Ruse Of An Outlaw
Why is there no replay of this scenario?

S3
03 Disarray To Order -> Disarray to Order

S4
04 Dara Valley Remembered -> Dara Valley Remembered
It doesn't make any sense for Roanic to retain the xp he earned in the future (In S1 and S2.)

S5
05 A King Defined -> A King Defined
Why recreate Cian and Felim instead of using their S2 version?
I'd assume you also recreated Ladoc.
Cian, Felim, and Ladoc are missing their silver crown.
...why would I now have access to my recalls of S4?

Bludry (the Duellist) has the traits strong, quick, loyal, strong, quick. Apparently traits can only be applied once, so from that perspective it doesn't matter, but it's wrong anyway. double traits only apply their effect after the unit has leveled up, not when it has been created.
Run (the Peasant) as well is quick, fearless, loyal, quick, fearless.

S6
06 Heritage -> Heritage
Owain lacks a silver crown.

S7
07 Stirrings of Hope -> Stirrings of Hope
Goodwin is missing his silver crown.

S8
08 The Heart of Estdin -> The Heart of Estdin
Again, everyone thats not on my side has been recreated.
Why is there no replay for this scenario?

S9
09 Rebels Uprooted -> Rebels Uprooted
Gwedda needs a silver crown.
Gwedda (Mage) is quick, intelligent, loyal, quick, intelligent

S10
10 A Traitor Confronted -> A Traitor Confronted
Ceonnyn (Horseman) is strong, quick, loyal, strong, quick.
As he was only strong, quick before he joined my side, I'm assuming that there is something wrong with the way 'loyal' is being granted for units in this campaign.

S11
11 Fury Allayed -> Fury Allayed
The end of this scenario implies that Ciam and Felim will show up in S13, but that's not the case. Furthermore, S14 implies strongly that they were not meant to be in S13. Maybe tweak the dialogue to make clear they stay behind in Lathe?

S12
12 A Mountain Inbetween -> A Mountain Inbetween
Usual trait problem with the loyal Sami (Dune Herbalist).

S13
13 Klash with Klasha -> Klash with Klasha
My recalled units do not arrive with 75% health, but somehow with 56,25% health. (0.75 * 0.75 = 0.5625 (just saying))
I think I figured it out. The whole 75% health is applied to my recall list. And then applied again when I recall the unit.
The numbers are correct for recruited units and for the 6 units I start with.

Why are Cian and Felim not there? In S11 it was implied that they would show up as well.
(See S11)

The 'overflowing lava' is veeeeery hard to notice. Maybe make it spill to adjacent hexes to make it more noticeable?

There are a lot of [if] blocks dedicated to making sure the correct fake unit is displayed when moving units around. Is there maybe a way to basically ask the unit for its unit type and then just move that as a fake unit?
Example of how it is:

Code: Select all

[if]
            [have_unit]
                id=Gwedda
                type=Mage
            [/have_unit]
            [then]
                [move_unit_fake]
                    type=Mage
                    side=1
                    x=20,19
                    y=28,26
                    gender=female
                [/move_unit_fake]
            [/then]
        [/if]
        [if]
            [have_unit]
                id=Gwedda
                type=Red Mage
            [/have_unit]
            [then]
                [move_unit_fake]
                    type=Red Mage
                    side=1
                    x=20,19
                    y=28,26
                    gender=female
                [/move_unit_fake]
            [/then]
        [/if]
        [if]
            [have_unit]
                id=Gwedda
                type=Arch Mage
            [/have_unit]
            [then]
                [move_unit_fake]
                    type=Arch Mage
                    side=1
                    x=20,19
                    y=28,26
                    gender=female
                [/move_unit_fake]
            [/then]
        [/if]
        [if]
            [have_unit]
                id=Gwedda
                type=Great Mage
            [/have_unit]
            [then]
                [move_unit_fake]
                    type=Great Mage
                    side=1
                    x=20,19
                    y=28,26
                    gender=female
                [/move_unit_fake]
            [/then]
        [/if]
        [if]
            [have_unit]
                id=Gwedda
                type=White Mage
            [/have_unit]
            [then]
                [move_unit_fake]
                    type=White Mage
                    side=1
                    x=20,19
                    y=28,26
                    gender=female
                [/move_unit_fake]
            [/then]
        [/if]
        [if]
            [have_unit]
                id=Gwedda
                type=Mage of Light
            [/have_unit]
            [then]
                [move_unit_fake]
                    type=Mage of Light
                    side=1
                    x=20,19
                    y=28,26
                    gender=female
                [/move_unit_fake]
            [/then]
        [/if]
        [if]
            [have_unit]
                id=Gwedda
                type=Silver Mage
            [/have_unit]
            [then]
                [move_unit_fake]
                    type=Silver Mage
                    side=1
                    x=20,19
                    y=28,26
                    gender=female
                [/move_unit_fake]
            [/then]
        [/if]
And that's just one unit of 6.

S14
14 Epilogue -> Epilogue
Damn, Cian and Felim have been created anew once more. ._.

FTR, I'm done.

Replays:
Spoiler:
Attachments
RFR-13 Clash With Klasha-Auto-Save1.gz
Health bug
(63 KiB) Downloaded 56 times