Wesnoth RPG License

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Nikita_Sadkov

Wesnoth RPG License

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Hi! I'm wondering what is the license of sprites at http://www.wesnoth.org/jetrel/rpg/ Especially interesting is the isometric base.

Is it GPL2 or some TBA commercial game?
Jetrel

Re: Wesnoth RPG License

Post by Jetrel »

Indeterminate at this point in time. I honestly haven't decided where I'm going with those. Given enough downtime I might throw them out as CC-BY or some such.

Also this topic's pretty inaccurately labeled - I happen to host everything I work on, on wesnoth's space (including other mostly-opensource games like Frogatto), but this is absolutely unrelated to anything "wesnoth". Not to sound grumpy or anything, but it's worth throwing out there since folks could very well be confused... :P
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Jetrel wrote:Also this topic's pretty inaccurately labeled - I happen to host everything I work on, on wesnoth's space (including other mostly-opensource games like Frogatto), but this is absolutely unrelated to anything "wesnoth". Not to sound grumpy or anything, but it's worth throwing out there since folks could very well be confused... :P
Oops! My bad. I though that is some unfinished RPG in the Wesnoth's universe.

Still I think making a good Wesnoth RPG can boost the brand's popularity and community.
Jetrel wrote:Indeterminate at this point in time.
So the project is abandoned? Maybe you can find an investor or just crowd-fund it?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Nikita_Sadkov wrote:
Jetrel wrote:Indeterminate at this point in time.
So the project is abandoned? Maybe you can find an investor or just crowd-fund it?
:doh: The primary purpose of that as a project is personal skill growth. I don't make games to have a final product; I make games and game-art so that I personally can experience the act of creating a specific game. If I were to hire that out to someone else, it defeats the entire point of doing it. It's like hiring someone else to exercise for you, rather than you doing it yourself.

Personally, I'd prefer that all of this get left alone - it is on a public website, but for all intents and purposes it's been used as a mostly private viewing space for small circles of people. There's a lot of value in having this sort of very old-fashioned "quietly public" stuff where the privacy of it is merely enforced by custom and courtesy, rather than any sort of technical barrier (like a password or whatever).

Essentially you're looking through the equivalent of an author's unfinished manuscript - a "work in progress" that I'm rather uncomfortable having public, but I do simultaneously want some public viewership of because it's a valuable tool for learning and so forth. Play nice.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Jetrel wrote:Personally, I'd prefer that all of this get left alone
Sorry. Didn't wan't to offend you.

Guess it is better to close/delete this topic then.