New Merman

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Elvish_King

New Merman

Post by Elvish_King »

Hey there, I wanted for my era a new merman but I wonder not to find anything good (exepct parts from Water Era), which fits to my plan, so I decided to make one of my own but I have got two Problems and I wanted to hear your opinion.

1. Which kind of a unit? The mermans currently have a fighter, a healer/mage, a archer/scout and a keader (from Dead Water). So I didn't know whixh type the new unit could be.

2. Which weapons? Mermans have: spear, trident, net and club but I'm thinking of sth. different.

I hope you can help me.
Visit my threads:
Era:Era of more units
Artwork:Art
Crow_T

Re: New Merman

Post by Crow_T »

You have a lot of options for sure- you could go with a highly mobile skirmishing unit (perhaps in water+swamp only) or a marksmen type which I think would be good additions. Think about the skills units have, like first strike, backstab, etc. and go from there.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Or with new unit you can create new ability, like fisherman, everytimes when he end turn with full movement points at coastel reef terrain his side gains 1 gold more, or have 10% chance to find other 0 lvl merman in water (event to create same side unit near first one)...
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Elvish_King wrote:1. Which kind of a unit?
I don't think we have a mounted unit yet. ;)

Elvish_King wrote:2. Which weapons? Mermans have: spear, trident, net and club but I'm thinking of sth. different.
Not to forget the arcane. Here we had a discussion about what weapons would be suitable for fish. So maybe no thundersticks.
I have a cunning plan.
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

A cuple of good ideas, I've got a plan now. All the three units can't move on land but are therefore a bit faster in water. They also have the ability concealment.
They have a spear/trident and net full of stones.
Melee attack: stronger than hunter (line), weaker than fighter (line)
Range attack: little damge, many tries, lvl.2 + 3 maybe marksman
Base unit (changed): Water Era
Base unit (changed): Water Era
pearldiver.png (5.52 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
shellhunter.png
shellhunter.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
deepseafighter.png
deepseafighter.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
(I'm not sure about the names, in German they sound good)

Comments are welcome!
Visit my threads:
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I think the first and second name are fine, not sure about the third (from Germany too ;-) ). When I hear Shellhunter I think about the coast. If that is not just me perhaps switch the first and second name to get the continuity from coast -> deep sea?
I was thinking about a way to continue the treasure hunter theme with the third unit, but I found nothing that rang true with me (mediocre examples would be wreck looter or wreck finder).
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I might be a bit late, but if you are still looking for ideas: The Merman haven't got a real tanky unit with HP or armor, exept for the hoplite. Some other kinds of seacreature could also be used to fill the era (like the octopus-pet from dead water).
Or try to find units for the different attack types, as they have no blade,cold or fire damage yet. A Frostmage might be possible or a swordsman.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Maybe you could get some name inspiration from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_sea_creature
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Make a:
- Woman Merman which can seduce and change enemy unit side (not works for undeads + female genders)

- Merman which is slowly (4 mp) cause he walks/swims everywhere with chest full of gold, he hides behind this chest once he is attacked (+30% impact/pierce/blade res while defense) and he can attacks only on ranged by gold coins (and each unit which fights with such a merman have 5% or 10% chance to find 1 gold coin after battle) - his secret ability might be option to bribe enemy berserker once its attacked by one of them if have enought gold coins (20).

- Pirate merman able to summon pirats (one side can summon 3, one merman can summon only one ship max) ship for 2-3 turns (after this time its die) (once per 7-8 turns)! With a hook instead of one hand

- Merman able to teleport in deep water with poison melee bite.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

The 2nd and 3rd ones are a bit... thick.
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

Vyncyn wrote:The Merman haven't got a real tanky unit with HP or armor, exept for the hoplite.
You mean something like the Heavy Infantryman or the Wose? I thought about that and I think I'm going to realize it (I don't know how yet, but...I try), maybe I can combinate this with a cold/fire(in the sea :hmm: ) attack.

@ GunChleoc: I read the whole page later but thanks anyway.
@ ChaosRider: A cuple of good ideas, I personally like the idea with the pirates. (No plan how to do that but I will find out)
pe_em wrote:The 2nd and 3rd ones are a bit... thick.
I don't real think so, other mermen have the same size.

Here I changed the pierce against a blade attack for the lvl.3 (the other weapon of lvl.1-2 also look like strange "mermanish" blade weapons)
deepseafighter.png
deepseafighter.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
P.S. Does anybody know an era/campaign... with some custom merman? (except WaterEra)
Visit my threads:
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Elvish_King wrote:P.S. Does anybody know an era/campaign... with some custom merman? (except WaterEra)
Do you know the Brawler from Dead Water?
I have a cunning plan.
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

Of cause I know the Brawler.
Inspired by the ideas of Chaos Rider, I made a pirate Merman.
pirate1.png
pirate1.png (2.37 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
pirate2.png
pirate2.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
I also tried to make some black thing covering is eye but it didn't look good, so the pirate has only a hook and a head.
Visit my threads:
SFault

Post by SFault »

The pirate is a cool concept and I quite like the design. The problem is that the details are quite mushed together. Try to use less colors, more contrast and inner outlines.

I included a sample with pure black inner outlines for you to get the idea. I would recommend not to use black but very dark color of the area to be bordered.
Attachments
pirate2b.png
pirate2b.png (1.99 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

As a comparison: 1st column is the previous version, 2nd column is version with inner outlines and more contrast, 3rd column is like the 2nd with a new ice weapon (because I maybe use this as a tank unit :hmm: )
pirate-comp..png
pirate-comp..png (10.82 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
Which of theese do you like most?

P.S. New name for the deapseefighter: treasure seeker?
Visit my threads: