Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

xuanquang

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by xuanquang »

@Kymille: Yes, that ability is overwritten by unit's own heal ability. So you may want to give that eagle fruit cactus's ring for a non-healing unit (I suggest, shadow, good resistances and skirmisher, invisible in night)
@Delicius169:
Your black souls look stronger than needed.
A javelineer levels up and becomes pilum master, and I can say, he remind me the spartan warriors. He has an AMLA that gives the adamant ability. This triples his resistances up to 90% while defending, so with some pilum masters with normal items, and 1 or 2 healers, leaders behind them, you have an unbreakable wall (like in the movie "300"). And, because there is an awesome spear named "Lightbringer", which boosts both melee and ranged pilum master's attacks, he can return massive damage to enemy. I even consider he's better than a dwarvish guardian (don't remember exactly his name) because he grows faster (max level is 3) and stronger in attack.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Pilum Master does not have Adamant, at least not in my version. I don't think it makes sense either. Maybe he could get Steadfast or Careful (10), but Adamant should stay just for the Dwarf Protector.
I did find the Pilum Master not very interesting, but I end up feeling that way about many units. Pilum Master gives pierce damage, and protection from pierce, but neither of those is particularly important, and you can get superior pierce damage from bows and cavalry.

My current thinking on best units generally in part 2 are Celestial Messenger and Elvish Gryphon Rider. They balance melee and ranged and have great mobility. The Dragon Rider and Duelist Wizard are also awesome, but more one dimensional (primary melee, primary ranged). I also really like Faerie Incarnation, Dwarf Protector, Prophet, Duke and Destroyer for more specific features.

It took weeks playing intermittently, but I explored the Passage of Detriment in chapter 9. The description is accurate - it drives the player bonkers. It let me bypass most of Pandemonium, which I think means I skipped a lot of plot. I will probably go back and not take the passage and play through Pandemonium more directly, in the hopes of killing Abaddon and learning more about the rebels or other plot points.
Dugi, from a design perspective, why have a way to skip the normal route and any associated plot (the Passage of Detriment)? Or is there not more about the rebels?

Dugi, another question:
Spoiler:
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

Like a recent poster, I too notice that the AI can see invisible units; for example, ambush doesn't work in Infinite Legion. I know it's a known bug, but I was wondering if that would be fixed soon? I'm wondering if it's worth my while to work out a way to win this huge battle without it, or if I should just wait.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Kymille wrote:So I gave the heal+40 ability to an elven sorceress. All was well until she finally made Elvish Seer, when the heal+40 got replaced by heal+4.
I don't get what do you mean. How did you give her that ability? Using an item?
Delicius169 wrote:But it ttakes a really lot of time, till units move. It s a bit like in Jungle hell, few months ago, so I thought, if you have applicated the AI speed improvement- which you put in campaing, also on this scenario.
Do you mean that they still take a lot of time to move despite the AI overhaul? Didn't you just forget to start it from the menu again to get it loaded?
Delicius169 wrote:To make Black souls more danger. I would suggest, give them high resistances, they should be something really strong, really hardly beateble.
I fear that those changes would make them too hard. I'd rather give them something to make them interesting in some way, not just plain tough. Maybe normal HP and 90% all resistances, 70% arcane would make them more tricky, requiring something to lower their resistances.
I have read the rest you wrote, but I will need to think about that.
Delicius169 wrote:What improvement Krux´s Lesser redeem gives?
When it comes to maximum, it should give you some instant bonuses. Like more damage, more hitpoints etc.
xuanquang wrote:He has an AMLA that gives the adamant ability.
No, he doesn't.
dabber wrote:Dugi, from a design perspective, why have a way to skip the normal route and any associated plot (the Passage of Detriment)?
You can skip some parts of the plot there (I don't think that there is much about the rebels), but nothing crucial. I added it because I found it interesting to add a possibility to skip some part of the progression for a cost.
Reply to spoiler:
Kymille wrote:Like a recent poster, I too notice that the AI can see invisible units; for example, ambush doesn't work in Infinite Legion. I know it's a known bug, but I was wondering if that would be fixed soon? I'm wondering if it's worth my while to work out a way to win this huge battle without it, or if I should just wait.
I will contact mattsc and ask what's the case, when I was checking it, it looked like if it was actually checking which units are hidden.
dabber

Post by dabber »

At the start of Chapter 10, are Krux and Vritra supposed to lose all their previous advancements? I had them nicely leveled up and effective, but now they are wimpy. Even with their great equipment, their nearly naked army is being overwhelmed by a half dozen demons. I survived longer playing unbelievably conservative, but I was running out of fodder and suspect I would have run out of time.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It's intentional that they lost the advancements. If you disagree, we can work out a solution.
dabber

Post by dabber »

How difficult do you think the scenario Despair should be? When I get just outside the starting cave, at that first village, I can see 8 demons. Unless I hit a redeem or a disintegrate (Doombringer), Krux has to buff multiple guys (Royality plus his own Divine Radiance) to kill one demon, and each of my guys takes a lot of damage from doing it. Then one or two demons attack, killing at least one of my guys. I pull back to prevent worse casualties, but often lose another guy to take out the demon or two that have advanced on me. Repetition means my troop supply is dropping rapidly.

In retrospect, I could have left Krux/Vritra with Iron Armour of the Friendly General and/or Colossal etc sword, so I would have even more buffing. But I feel like I left the two of them with very good equipment (Mystic Armours, complete Gloomy set, Dark Gloves, Cunctator's sword, Royal Diadem, Tears of the Dead, Grey Cloak, other lesser stuff).

Oh, I just realized all the gems carried over from Inferno. Was that intentional? Outcome might change if I craft a couple of Dugi's Wards and some lesser stuff.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The demons are placed randomly (however, the randomness is slightly repeatable). They are not attacking you, just wandering around and attacking only if they get too close (if they do, it's the bug that was mentioned before, it's being worked on).

The gems are carried over, the idea is that they have magic pouches that share their contents, so that you can craft stuff at any place. I could have changed that, but I am not convinced that it's detrimental.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hey Dugi,

is it intentional, that I can abuse the Storerooms in Chapter 5 (I think I´m in chapter 5. The chapter where I run through all the caverns to weaken Aluka) by only picking up 4 items and visiting them again? Only got the idea because when I visited the first time, one of the 5 items placed was gold instead and so I only got 4 items and could´nt finish the "win" condition. Until now I only came to the Northwestern Storeroom, but I assume it´s like that in all rooms.

Best regards
Whiskeyjack
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

There's no bug. You can get a load of items there, but at that point, you most likely have all items that can drop there and you don't need more of them. They will bring you little additional benefit, (maybe it shall make Akula a bit easier, but not much). In the next chapter, many new and potentially more powerful items will begin to drop.
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

Didn't you just forget to start it from the menu again to get it loaded?
Please can you write it in czech, I dont get it reading it 4times.
marktempe

Post by marktempe »

Just a curiosity: what's the point of the "Guarding orc in distance" in "Where the sun does not shine"?
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Ah, now I start to get it. What follows is part two and I start completely anew with units and items. Will I get my troops back this time too?
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Delicius169 wrote:Please can you write it in czech, I dont get it reading it 4times.
Nezapoměl jsi to načíst z menu pro výběr multiplayerové hry a začít hrát od začátku? Updates to anything don't take place immediately and this one in particular requires starting the whole campaign again, otherwise it does not do anything.
marktempe wrote:Just a curiosity: what's the point of the "Guarding orc in distance" in "Where the sun does not shine"?
There is supposed to be an orc warden guarding the prison. He is not very close to them, they are too dangerous.
Whiskeyjack wrote:Ah, now I start to get it. What follows is part two and I start completely anew with units and items. Will I get my troops back this time too?
Not this time. It was necessary for balance reasons.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Is there an easy way, in the game, to determine what gender a unit is? I keep wanting to use the "right" gender near Succubus, but I cannot recognize the names consistently, especially the elven names.

Grammar: Entering Verminous Sewers says "Have you examinated it? It is infencted."
Should be "Have you examined it? It is infected."

Bug: Everytime an Elvish Sharpshooter levels up to an Elvish Gryphon Rider, he is gaining an Execution attack, like he went to Elvish Assassin.
This did not happen in the past (couple months back?). It is also possible this is fixed in current version and I haven't updated in a month, but I doubt it.

Bug: Crafted claws no longer modify the claw attack of the Elvish Gryphon Rider.
I figured this one out. In stats.cfg, line 714 is a list of weapon types. You wrote "claw" instead of "claws". That concept used to be handled by dozens of lines of if/or statements, and one character got lost when it was changed. Somewhat to my surprise, starting a scenario (in Inferno) with the code fix does not fix the problem. I have to un-equip, re-equip the item to recalculate. I thought it rebuilt the units when they were recalled.